Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008 | 09:22 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Did some riding today around 4:00 PM when the Temp outside was like 84 or 85. This is the Hottest I have tested the IED's yet. Rear head was in the upper 290's. The front was about 15 degrees cooler. I'm impressed with the IED's. Last year at this time my engine would be ready to do some serious barbecuing. Much cooler now with the IED's. Fuel mileage is in the low 40's.

Old 03-22-2008 | 01:31 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Did some riding today around 4:00 PM when the Temp outside was like 84 or 85.
You guys are killing me

I went out and rode in +2 C today ( About 33F)

Old 03-22-2008 | 11:32 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

As posted in another thread:

If you go back to the Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine published by Harley-Davidson, they stated that the new 96CID engines can have exhaust and air cleaner upgrades done without having to re-map the EFI system. Few Dealers, shops or riders ever picked up on this little piece of information. But it did not take riders long to realize the engine was very hot idleing and cruising (closed loop mode which is under 4000 RPMs and under 50% throttle). So knowing that the fuel map is rich enough for heavy throttle operation left me looking for a way to fix the very lean closed loop fuel ratio of 14.7:1 controlled by the narrow band O2 sensor. This lead me to develop the O2 IED (and the LC-1 WBO2 upgrade). The Nightrider upgrades are aimed specfically at the issues of the new engines controlled by HD's O2 sensor.

Wish I had the magazine.

Old 03-22-2008 | 03:01 PM
2wheeltom77
Tourer

cruiser85257,

I remounted that rear IED last night. It's plugged in right. I mounted both so the resistors were straight. I actually tested the rear one last night, 1.6 volts to 1.1 volts. This may be normal,but the rear header is pretty blue.The front one is yellowed a bit, but not bad at all. Just a little over 700 miles on the clock, and about 600 of those highway.

Man I'm really curious about the upgrades with no fuel controller now. I'm really wanting to do an AC for the extra power. I hardly ever read magazines so the articlein american iron was the first one I've seen about it. I mean Harley knows everyone will change the pipes, and most the AC, and taking into account most people don't know or care to know about the mechanical side of things, surelythe ecms wereprogrammedso they wouldn't be fighting warranty claims all the time.

Old 03-22-2008 | 03:29 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Heywood, this is our Spring. It lasts about 3 weeks, then up into the 90's we go and before you know it we're over 100 and will stay that way till October. That's when I am envious of you my friend.

Old 03-22-2008 | 03:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mikeurig:

I seem to recall what your talking about. We should go on American Iron magazines Forum and straighten out their thinking on this article. I'm sure they will be flooded with mail.

AIM: http://www.aimag.com/forums/

Old 03-22-2008 | 03:44 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

2WheelTom:

The color of your pipes is quite normal. Yellow is the Optimal color indicating a good fuel mixture. It takes about 600 degrees to turn the pipes yellow. At around 800 degrees the pipes turn Blue. This is not uncommon when you have a heat shield to hold the heat in and especially the back pipe which doesn't get the same air flow as the front.

I recommend picking up an infrared thermometer to keep an accurate eye on things. I think your engine is worth the $19.95 the thermometer costs.

What doesn't make sense with that article is why doesn't HD train it's Techs in the dealerships with this information if it were true. I think every one of us has been to the dealer either getting pipes and an air kit or at least asking about it. In both cases they always try to sell you some type of fuel mngt system telling you the bike absolutely needs something.

Old 03-23-2008 | 12:25 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

Sal,

If I head up that way, I'll look you up. Going to ride Winkelman tomorrow, smoke a cigar by the river, and head back. 84 degrees...ahhhhhhhhhh.

I bought an infrared thermometer at Autozone today. Pretty cool.

I checked the cooling fin below the spark plug after parking. 310 degrees. I was spotting that thermometer all over the place. Horn cover, 72. Chaincase, 180. Myself, 84.9 degrees...

[sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 03-23-2008 | 11:26 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

They're cool little gadgets aren't they?

Old 03-23-2008 | 02:50 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Installed and tested the 02 IED's Saturday.

The weather was sunny and 85°.

The bike is an 08 Ultra completely stock.

I went out the freeway for 9 miles and then came back on surface streets for another 10 miles. Used this same trip for all tests.

Without sensors installed:

Front cylinder temp = 372°

Rear cylinder temp = 430°

With sensors installed:

Front cylinder temp = 380°

Rear cylinder temp = 433°

The temps read higher with sensors installed but the bike felt a lot cooler on the surface streets with stop and go traffic. I think I didn't get a good reading for this test asthe bike didrun cooler with the sensors installed.

Installed Vance & Hines Slip On Oval Mufflers and made the same run as before:

With sensors installed:

Front cylinder temp = 357°

Rear cylinder temp = 407°

Cooler temps than before so I am happy so far.

Will be taking it in for the 1000 mile service and have the Screaming Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit and the ECM recalibration (Chip Download) done on the bike.

After I get it back I will do the test again with and without the sensors.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test