Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008 | 04:32 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Orignal: Street G:
Has any else tryed to test theres & see if they come any where close to the readings that night rider says they should be.
I checked mine and they were right on the money. Go back and make sure you are doing the test correctly.

Testing the NBO2 Inline Enrichment Device off the bike
If at any time you think your IED is not working properly, you should first make sure the connectors are properly plugged in and are tight. If you still feel there is an issue, you need to remove it from the bike first. Test your IED with a 1.5V battery, 2 paper clips and a volt meter. First you need to check the battery to make sure it is producing 1.5V. Open up the paper clips and install them into the female connector (wiring harness side). Touch the battery to the paper clips so the (+) side is on the blue wire site and the (-) on the grey side. Touch the voltmeter to the male connectors (wiring harness side). You should see 1.00 to .90 volts or about 30% less than the battery voltage. If the correct voltage is present, the IED is working correctly.

Old 03-10-2008 | 04:53 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

O, I have decided to do the following.
1. Shave .030 off the heads.
2. Shave .015 off the jugs.

Have'nt done the math yet, but by just a SWAG, it should, I'm thinking, come out to about 10:1.

I have a spare set of new 96 jugs so I will do them 1st, just in case.

Old 03-10-2008 | 05:12 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Sounds cool

I'd still love to see the IAT relocation instructions. Pictures are even better.

Old 03-10-2008 | 05:33 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

I removed the IED's from my bike and tested them. They tested OK, about 30% lower voltage after connecting each IED to the battery. Reinstalled the IED's. There is a definite difference in temperature with them vs. without them.

Old 03-10-2008 | 06:42 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Diebolt it would be tremendous if you could get a before and after temperature to see what difference the stage one does. Your the first one if done that would be able to contribute these numbers. You can get an infrared thermometer from any auto parts store. Just take the temp to the left of the spark plug about one inch. Make sure the sun isn't shining on that spot. Stand in its path if you have to to shade it.

First do a run and then pull to a stop and shut the bike down. Then take your temperatures. Repeat the same after the stage one download. Also note the outside temperatures on the days you run your tests.

Thanks and good luck.

Dave
Dave,

I will check out the temps before and after the IED's on the stock bike.

After I get the Stage 1, download and slip ons I will do another test with & without.

How much does the infrared thermometer cost?

I received the IED's today in the mail. That was only 4 days and they had to go from FL to CA. Can't beat that for service

Old 03-10-2008 | 07:08 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Trying to get pictures during ridin season is going to be hard to do.
If you use the service manual, you can easily see the location of the IAT and see which way the wiring runs through the harness. Then you will notice which one to open up to get the slack you will need to reach the backing plate. Just look it over, it's easier than a 2-piece puzzle.
Just make sure you mount it INSIDE the filter area, about 1" from the throttle bore.
I bought another one for the relocation and left the original one in place to act as a seal / plug.
It also makes it easy in the case that I have to go back to the dealer for warranty work.

Old 03-10-2008 | 07:37 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mine cost $19.95. They're not terribly expensive. That would be great if you could get before and after temps on the stage one download.

Steve's delivery of product is great

Old 03-10-2008 | 07:38 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Rider57.

Old 03-10-2008 | 08:33 PM
cderider
Cruiser

cruiser85257 you made a good point about buying from NightRider, I just ordered a set of IED's and will go with the stage 1 download, IED's and SPO slipons with the stock air box. Thank You everone for all your work on this topic, much appreciated.

Old 03-10-2008 | 10:01 PM
Nascarr97
6th Gear

Cruiser, I was entertaining the thought of a TVII. In a previous post you mention starting another thread in regards to the TVII, what thread is that? I would like to read further. Also, would you say that installing the IED increase power and performance? The fact that it lowers engine heat has been proven. I do plan on installing Rush 2" and K&N air box...stage I down load? (is it still debateable, I am on page 4 of this 12 page post...GREAT POST)
thanks,
Nascarr97

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test