Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 08:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Diebolt don't forget the IED's from Nightrider. These are the most critical part of the whole procedure. I don't recommend the stage one air kit as it only makes the engine leaner.

I saw a dramatic reduction in engine heat using Nightriders IED's. Plus better throttle response and a smoother running engine.

You could forget about the stage one download and the stage one air kit and do the Mufflers and IED's and you would be quite happy. That's how I am running my bike.

Old 03-09-2008 | 08:51 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

The circuit and installation instructions are at nightrider.com

Old 03-09-2008 | 08:57 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

So the Stage 1 air cleaner and download chip will make it run leaner and hotter?

I just thought that with the Stage 1, downloadand mufflers it would run better and cooler.

I already have the IED's ordered. From what you are saying I could put the mufflers on and install the IED's and be good to go.

If so I will see if I can get credit for the Stage 1 and download price.

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:07 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Diebolt, not to confuse you even more. Nightrider emailed me after I questioned my setup. I have the stage 1 ecm download. Nighrider told me that the stage 1 ecm download would help in the open loop mode when throttling up, and the ied's would help on the closed loop end to cool the bike at idle and while cruising under 50% throttle.

Old 03-09-2008 | 09:36 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Rider57

Just goto Radio Shack and get 2 packs (5 resistors per pack) of 1/4 watt, 10 K resistors.
Soldier 2 end to edn, that will make the 20K you will need.
And use 1 more 10K for the other side of the voltage divider.
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 03-09-2008 | 10:54 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Diebolt I have never done a stage one download so I can't accurately say what benefit it would give you. Fastbagger is correctabout the stage one download combined with the IED. At least this is what the theory is.

The addition of an air kit will lean the bike because you are allowing more air into the mix.

I would suggest you try the IED's with only the slip on mufflers. If you like the way the bike is running and it seems to be running cooler than why spend more money? If you want to go further then get the stage one download and see how she runs.

Nightrider recommends using the K&N air filter replacement in the stock air kit housing. You could try this as a last step in achieving Nervana. The stock housing is somewhat restrictive and changing over to the K&N will allow a little more air to the mix.

It really depends on what your goals are. For me I just want a good running, dependable, and cooler running motor that gets decent fuel mileage. For me I have achieved what I set out for. Maybe down the road I'll try the stage one download and the K&N replacement filter for a little extra umph. But for now my bike runs nice and smooth. Throttle response is better. The engine temperature has improved dramatically. I lost 1 or 2 mpg (big deal). I'm real happy with how things turned out. Now it's time for me to ride the bike and just enjoy.

Old 03-09-2008 | 10:56 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

KRAZY3

Here you go...http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...olt_divide.htm

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:02 PM
RBFB
Intermediate

I have a brand new 08 CVO Road King and bought the IED's. It runs awesome, I rode it before and after the IED's it runs great with them. My question is can I just add some slipons with the IED's and not be too lean? I like the bike and don't want to spend all the money on tuners etc, but I would like a little more sound. Mine sounds way too quiet now.

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:23 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Ok...for all that have asked.

Going with the Stage 1 A/C and the download greatly improves the performance of the bike. Timing seems changed and the map that they throw in formy set up works..More air in and more air out. The download helps in closed loop as well. It has too as changing the a/c without it and the pipes would make the bike dangeously lean.

Adding the IED's with the Stage 1 set-up is even better. I gave it a shot today and it was defiantly evident on the change. I didn't take any temp. readings, but she pulled pretty hard with the IED's. This is on a new hike with 70 miles on it. The ECM is still learning so I'll have to give it another 100 miles before I try to see the difference again.

I'm still in break in mode so I'll wait on the hammering. The exhaust seemed sharper/crisp. Idle was a little smoother, but like I said, it has very little miles on it and it'll have to learn it's curves. It's been cold here. Temps are about 35 F/+5 C. Snow on the ground,but I've gotta ride it!

Old 03-09-2008 | 11:41 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Heywood, this is the info I have been waiting for. I have asked this question so many times of the technicians at HD and no one seemed to have the same answer. So in your opinion the standard stage one download is worth the money? What are you running for an air kit?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test