Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008 | 03:53 PM
snuffer
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Thanks for all this great info!

Cruiser, if I understood correctly, you said you got cooler temps when you switched from the SE AC back to the original factory AC. This was with aftermarket slip-ons (Rush I think). Do you know if leaving the factory AC on and switching back to factory slip-ons effected the temp?

If it ran cooler with the factory slip-ons, I wonder if going to a smaller baffle size (2" to 1.75" for example) would have a simular effect?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-08-2008 | 04:19 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

So far I got my best results from the following combo.

Stock air kit, Rush Mufflers with 2 inch baffles. The Bike runs real good and sounds good too. Nice low temps on the heads while cruising. After about a 30 minute ride at an average of65mph I got temps of 250 degrees rear, and 238 degrees front. The Bike was nice and smooth, throttle response was great. The outside temp that day was around 72.

Old 03-08-2008 | 06:15 PM
scotsport
Advanced

2007 FXBD. My plan is: stock A/C, stock map (i.e no stage 1 download, or fuelpack etc), V&H HS straight shotslips ons (without quiet baffles), IED's.

Budget is an issue. So my question is: providing I keep the stock A/C,will this set up work 'well enough' in open loop withoutthe risk of risking engine damage from alean mixture?Form what I've read on this thread, slips ons aloneshould be OK inopen loop, and the IEDs will take care of of things in closed loop mode. No more cash to spend right now, but I don't want to put the engineat risk! Advice appreciated.

Advice appreciated.

Old 03-08-2008 | 06:50 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Scotsport that is basically the same setup where I have gotten my best results. Open loop runs richer than closed loop so you'll have no problems. You don't need to spend more cash than the $79 for the IED's. You'll love the way the bike runs, and it will run a lot cooler.

Old 03-08-2008 | 07:50 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Ok what's the verdict will these IED's help my stock bike also????

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Absolutely Rsofa. The stock bike runs around 14.7 which is too high. This is why so many people complain about all the heat the stock engine produces. A number of people complain about a low speed surge, which is a sign of running too lean.

The Nightriders IED's change the AFR from 14.7 down to a richer 14.2. The end result is a Bike that runs cooler (I saw a drop of 100 degrees on the rear cylinder). Most of the low end surge is gone if not all of it. Throttle response is improved. The only negative is a loss of fuel mileage about 1 to 2 mpg is all. For $69 you can't beat it, the best bang for the Buck.

Make sure if you decide to try them you'll come back and let us know how your Bike responded with the IED's installed.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2008 | 09:57 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Thanks cruiser I will do that I think I will give it a try in the next few weeks..I may even add some pipes the jury is still
out on this though I hear some say they change to louder pipes but then they don't like the loudness when on a long trip so
I may leave them stock!!

Old 03-08-2008 | 11:19 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

The stock pipes sound good. They say they get louder over time. You can always switch out the mufflers when your planning a long trip. They're easy to swap out on your Bike. I have the Rush (2 inch baffle), and they are not loud at all. They have a nice deep tone to them, and a good bark when you open it up. Cruising they are not loud at all. You can hear the radio just fine. My wife hates loud exhaust, and she likes the Rush Muflers.

Old 03-08-2008 | 11:54 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Hey cruiser are you using the stock HD air filter element or a K&N replacement filter?

Old 03-09-2008 | 01:51 AM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I believe he had the K&N but switched back to the stock air filter.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test