Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008 | 08:07 AM
smokin
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I agree with the above comments
Steve put together a great product - buy it from him.
Yeah, I know you can save a few bucks, but support the man
who put this all in place.
25 years ago I sat in a parking lot in Daytona Beach fixing lean Hondas for half
a dozen guys. Only 1 guy even offered to buy me a beer! OK, it only took about 10 minutes
but hey, I knew how and they didn't! Yes children - years ago bikes had Carbs and idiots like me
knew what they were!!
Steve - if you're on - thanks
good luck guys in 2008
Calling for another 10 inches of snow in NE Ohio today - God help me

-Smokin

Old 03-07-2008 | 09:27 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Rider57, a simple relocation kit for the IAT would be Sweet.
Did you not see my post here that Zippers Performance makes a
cheap IAT relocation kit? It is not on the site, you have to call and
ask about it.

Old 03-07-2008 | 09:42 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I purchased the LC1 kit for the 07 RG and made the IED for the 08 RK.
If you are electricaly challanged, by all means buy it from Steve.
If you have been working on Harley's for a long time, you should get by just fine.
First rule is ALWAYS, use the Service Manual and Parts Manual.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53823/475EEBE9FE90460E9DCA870CA83BF474.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2008 | 10:07 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Smokin. Support the Man that brought us here. He's not making a lot of money off of these IED's, it's just the principle to compensate him for an excellent job.

Old 03-07-2008 | 10:08 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

I saw that comment before Barry. I tried searching their site to no avail. Wonder how much they charge for the whole tihing? I think I'll call them today and get all the details.

Thanks

Old 03-07-2008 | 10:53 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master

Updated impressions of the IED's...

After another 80 miles on them, I can say that there is a definite improvement in the throttle response as well as midrange part throttle power, specifically when at highway speeds in the upper gears. I can feel a stronger pull when cracking the throttle open to pass. WOT doesn't seem any different (as it shouldn't). I can't tell any difference in how it idles, or when riding at slow speeds.

It runs cooler for sure. I could usually feel the exhaust heat on my right leg at certain stop lights on the way home. I didn't notice nearly as much heat yesterday. I am tempted to add the K&N 1499 filter and be done with it.....

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:03 AM
donk_316
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heywood727

So the bike can relearn its AFV

You have to drive it at all. As far as the ECM is concerned..it's still at 14.7. It has to learn nothing? It's just adding fuel because that's what the 02 sensors are telling it.

Looking at the dyno tells me everything I need to know more or less. You've gain 5 hp and started out higher as well. It's all in the usable range where we drive everyday. 2000 - 4500 rpm.

The only thing that maybe different fromsay my bike to Ridre57's is that Riders stays in a closed loop config... The rest of us, with just the IED's and not relocationg the IAT will jump to open loop when we are running wide open. That's when (according to someSERT users,) the AFR richens up to what is it....12.5 -13.1??

If the Bottom part of the dyno is a true stock run, without and modifications from the factory, ...it looks like it jumps to open loop (More fuel out side of EPA regs) at about 4250 rpm. I think these with the Stage 1 download will help a lot!

I think we've found the $80 magic bullet that we've been looking for. Really...debateing Throttle positions, MAP altitudes.....is all splitting hairs. I think some of us are dumbfounded on how something so cheap and easy can make such a difference?? We're almost looking for a fault.

It cools the bike significantly. It runs way better. Better idle. Seat of the pants Dyno pull..... For me, the dyno just sealed the deal. This what I was looking for after everything else.

A Big Thank You To cruiser85257......

After going through the TVII and everything else, if it wasn't for your presistance to find a simple, cost effective, safe, plug and play system....we wouldn't have know.

I think everyone else here has really helped. This has probably been the best thread I've come across to help me enjoy and protect my scooter.
Your right. There isnt any "learning" because as far as the ECM concerned nothing has changed.

Old 03-07-2008 | 11:34 AM
KLR J
Novice

Great stuff in this thread. I am going to purchase theses asap. Quick question they may have been answered already- I have a 07 FXST if I install the nightrider ied's what does it do to my warranty? Also I noticed that Thundermax has something similiar, if not the samething- What are you thoughts- Thanks for sharing-

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:01 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Chuck,

If your truely happy with the way the Bike runs now don't change a thing. Adding the K&N filter will only lean out your bike and take away some of that additional throttle response your feeling now. I had a K&N on my bike and tried it both ways. I am back to the stock air kit and leaving it that way. I love the way the Bike runs now.

Old 03-07-2008 | 12:09 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

KLRJ:

I don't see anything on Thundermax's site that even remotely resembles Nightriders IED's. I'd be curious to see a link if you have one.

I always say stay with the one that brought you. I'm sure others will duplicate Nightrider down the road. Steve has been good to us and has more ideas in the fire.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test