Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011 | 03:12 PM
mvent
Intermediate

Thinking of a Cycle Rama 575 in a SE 110 with a Fatcat pipe, running adjustable xied's presently.

Old 05-10-2011 | 02:51 PM
60wt
Cruiser

anyone use or heard of any one using aXIEDs in combo with Vance & Hines Fuel pak...Think it will work ok...

Old 05-11-2011 | 05:41 AM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

60wt, just my opinion, for a little more money you could go with a TTS system and be able to program the ECM to your bike. I had the XIED and liked it but I read other riders reports that didn't like it or that it didn't make any difference for them. The TTS is 3 programs that are used to make a map for your engine not a 'canned map' for an engine with different parts.

Old 05-12-2011 | 07:41 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Happy Customer. FL VIEDS in a 2011 Limited, SEAC vented to ground, CVO mufflers with FullSac 2" baffles. Bike is cooler running no decel pop, has a little surge no big thing for me. Throttle acts better. Cat is in the headers and with outside temps in the high 80s I can say very little heat no pinging, the rear cylinder drops off less in traffic also. I need nothing more! Doc

Old 06-15-2011 | 09:03 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain

2009 FLHX Stock ECM, V&H Twin Slash rounds, SE air cleaner.

I originally had a Fuelpak on the bike with the above and it ran like crap. Surging was terrible and although heat was bad, its a harley (and my 3rd one at that), so I didn't care about it much.
After a few emails back and forth to V&H and multiple changes, I gave up on the Fuelpak.
In my search for the next waste of money i came upon VIED's and nightriders website. I also found this thread in the meantime before I ordered and read all 334 pages.
I had a very good knowledge of the Open-Loop EFI On my old 2006 heritage and PC and SERT programming, so I entered into it pretty much understanding alot of what was discussed. After weighing the Pros and Cons, I decided to give them a shot before I spent $$$$$$$ on a new tuner and Dyno time.
I must say my bike has never run better. I ditched the Fuelpak and tried several different combos (Both adjusting the Vied and stock air cleaner vs SEAC) and I have to say the bike runs great with the V&H Slipons and the SEAC with no fulepak and VIED's set at 13.8. It just works.
Now on to the devils advocate. I spent the last week riding everywhere and 99% of my riding (both street and highway) was in Closed loop mode. Maybe thats my style of riding, but they (VIED's) work.
Now I know the discussion is what the Closed loop does for Adaptive Fuel for open loop, but I just don't reside there at all, so what does it all matter anyway. My guess is not many riders do unless they are driving like maniacs or shifiting at the high end of RPM's or throttle.
I guess what i'm saying is they just plain work for what I need.

Smitty

Old 07-05-2011 | 03:24 AM
hotdog49
6th Gear

without reading through all the previous posts, was wondering if these would work on my 2011 model crossbones, without adding any other kind of fueller, have just fitted an Arlen ness big sucker and rush slash downs with the 1.75 baffle, no other mods.

Last edited by hotdog49; 07-05-2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2011 | 01:54 PM
husky
Banned
Default Xied

In response to iclick's comments, he says they doing nothing in the open loop mode. But in one of his earlier posts you say it richens the AFV in the open mode when accelerating. Well which one is it. Mr. Mullen(the owner of the company Nightrider) tells you that you need nothing if you are only changing A/C and mufflers, as does every reputable tuner around. The modern day ecm will compensate for an A/C and muffler changes. I do use the XIED and they are a very good product for what they were designed. I would suggest you call Mr. Mullen and talk to him. I have done so several times and he is very knowledgeable. There is alot of misinformation out there and so called experts.

Old 07-21-2011 | 04:39 AM
hotdog49
6th Gear

Originally Posted by husky
In response to iclick's comments, he says they doing nothing in the open loop mode. But in one of his earlier posts you say it richens the AFV in the open mode when accelerating. Well which one is it. Mr. Mullen(the owner of the company Nightrider) tells you that you need nothing if you are only changing A/C and mufflers, as does every reputable tuner around. The modern day ecm will compensate for an A/C and muffler changes. I do use the XIED and they are a very good product for what they were designed. I would suggest you call Mr. Mullen and talk to him. I have done so several times and he is very knowledgeable. There is alot of misinformation out there and so called experts.
Thankyou for your advice husky, there certainly is a lot of misinformation out there, here in the uk, not many people have heard of, or use these things.have had advice from nightrider via email and he really is a helpfull guy, i havent dealt with anyone as helpfull as steve

Old 07-21-2011 | 07:56 AM
11bDad
Road Captain

Added the XIED's to my stock 2010 FXDC, and was very happy with the results. Lower temps, better low end throttle, and not much of a hit on gas mileage. Put some Rush Slash down 1.75's on, and now have decel pop (not bad, but there nonetheless). Odd thing is, it pops less with the XIED's disconnected. Talked to Steve @ Nightrider, and Catfish @ Rush, and neither one of them could explain it. Think I'm going to get a Big Sucker and a Dobeck TFI, and sell the XIED's. They did work fine with my stock exhaust, but not the Rush slip on's.

Old 07-26-2011 | 03:35 PM
tryteds
Novice

Originally Posted by 11bDad
Added the XIED's to my stock 2010 FXDC, and was very happy with the results. Lower temps, better low end throttle, and not much of a hit on gas mileage. Put some Rush Slash down 1.75's on, and now have decel pop (not bad, but there nonetheless). Odd thing is, it pops less with the XIED's disconnected. Talked to Steve @ Nightrider, and Catfish @ Rush, and neither one of them could explain it. Think I'm going to get a Big Sucker and a Dobeck TFI, and sell the XIED's. They did work fine with my stock exhaust, but not the Rush slip on's.
The ied's need to be adjustable to meet all of the varying conditions in order to work well. My FL-VIED's worked perfect on a stock touring but when i removed the cat, had to reduce to 75% due to aversion. Small adjustment made a hugh change using IED.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test