Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010 | 06:00 AM
toddcl
Stage II

Have fitted them on three sportsters 2x 883 1 x1200 down under and very happy with the results

Old 04-14-2010 | 12:04 PM
ricaroo
Tourer

Did your mpg go down much?

Old 06-04-2010 | 04:29 PM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Well that was a lot to read! Anyway, I've got slip-ons, SEAC, and FuelPak but the bike still runs hot. Can I still use the xied or ied's with the FuelPak or is there an adjustment that can be made to one of the cells on the FuelPak? Or do I take the FuelPak off and replace with the Xied's?

Old 06-04-2010 | 04:35 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by jokenighttrain
Well that was a lot to read! Anyway, I've got slip-ons, SEAC, and FuelPak but the bike still runs hot. Can I still use the xied or ied's with the FuelPak or is there an adjustment that can be made to one of the cells on the FuelPak? Or do I take the FuelPak off and replace with the Xied's?
I used to have almost the same setup and added the XIED's, keeping the FuelPak. I spoke to Nightrider and was told that there was no problem doing this.

Old 06-04-2010 | 04:37 PM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Thanks, I went to their FAQ and found this.

I have a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak on my bike. Can I use an XIED? Do I need an XIED?

Fuel Pak and IED's have proven to be a very effective combination. Because Fuel Pak is primarily an open loop device and the XiED's a closed loop device, they actually compliment each other. Multiple fuel controllers always has the potential for problems because they can fight for control of the fuel mixture. We always recommend you try to work with your original fuel controller before adding an IED, but the Fuel Pak/XiED combination has proven to be one that is well behaved.

Old 06-04-2010 | 05:09 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

More problems with the Fuel Pac than worth the troubles, switch to a TTS.

Old 06-05-2010 | 07:50 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jokenighttrain
Yes, as others noted here.

Just to add that years ago FP +XiED was the hot setup and you would find it recommended by many including several magazines. All the sophisticated closed loop ECU function remains intact and fuel is added open loop.

Starting from scratch there are better options today, however.

Old 06-06-2010 | 04:35 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

I've had them both on my 07 Heritage for over two years and my son has had them on his 07 WG for the same amount of time. They work very well together. We're both very happy with the performance and less heat. I now have over 28,000 miles on the bike.

I just went on the V&H website and found they had updated the values for my Fuel Pak so I changed to the new settings yesterday and it removed the occasional decel pop that the bike had.

Are there better systems available? Sure, for more money you can get the TTS Mastertune or the Thundermax. Will I ever change mine? Not as long as it works as well as it currently does.

And I got a combined city, mountain mileage of 43 on a 150 mile ride yesterday.

Old 06-14-2010 | 11:40 PM
indy74
3rd Gear

Been running XIED's for a year now and I am very satisfied. Still no surging. and runs much cooler.

Old 07-20-2010 | 07:51 PM
wlibert
Road Captain

I just installed the FL-ViED-10's on my '10 Ultra Classic and put about 75 miles on the bike. My ball-o-meter's and my right leg are much happier, the throttle is crispier, and I can easily drive in 6th at 1800 rpms. I set the FL-ViED-10's to 13.7:1 and the bike definitely runs a lot cooler.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test