Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009 | 12:49 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ronster2
Since I have an 2009, I'm thinking about going back to the factory ECM program and just installing the FL-XiED's. I'm tired of the tweaking of the TSS and it still runs hot and pings.

Ronster2
You have a good system for tuning. If you're doing this yourself maybe you want to find someone who is an expert with it. If you're using a tuner already, it might be time to change to somebody else. There should be no way that you can't cool down your motor (too lean?) and adjust the timing to stop the pinging. I feel it's a matter of expertise, and I'm not slamming you. I spent months trying to dial in my TMax with Zippers and finally got some good help from an owner who knew how to set it up.

Old 10-30-2009 | 03:15 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

I had XIEDs before switching to TTS. The TTS runs cooler for me as it seems to have a better heat management algorithm than the stock program. I never had a ping problem but the XiEDs did not help with my surge I had, but TTS Vtuned it out. I did not have to tweak anything, if I recall correctly. Just saying, doesn't hurt to try XiEDs, but don't throw away the TTS just yet.

Old 10-31-2009 | 02:18 PM
ronster2
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevil
You have a good system for tuning. If you're doing this yourself maybe you want to find someone who is an expert with it. If you're using a tuner already, it might be time to change to somebody else. There should be no way that you can't cool down your motor (too lean?) and adjust the timing to stop the pinging. I feel it's a matter of expertise, and I'm not slamming you. I spent months trying to dial in my TMax with Zippers and finally got some good help from an owner who knew how to set it up.
Yeah. I know the TSS is a better deal, but I fix one area that pings and runs hot, then I trip over another. This time it's while the engine is in EITMS during a traffic slowdown and then pulling away from a stop. The EITMS disables then I hear pinging until the rpm and load runs up. This I understand from the Nightrider site is a problem that feeds on itself in this temp/timing/afr region.

I know you not slamming me, so don't think about. I'm just about fed up with this whole damn issue. I may need to take it to an expert although there is no expert in Rooster Poot, MS. so I must deal with it for right now.

I was just reading a little about the Thunder Max. You mean it's not an auto tune device like they claim? Do you like it, since you've got tuned? One of the bullet items in the ad states wide-band AFR feedback. This is apparently for pre-2009 H-D's huh?

Old 10-31-2009 | 02:55 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

The TMax is great, and it has auto tune. You have to start out with the right map, like any other tuner. As you ride it it gets dialed in. It is closed loop and replaces the O2 sensors with wide band auto type sensors. I see Zippers has 50 state software now.
I got it before the TTS came out, which I may have gotten instead.
Some bikes are easier than others to get just right. A buddy of mine has an 07 Ultra, he put on a Fuelpak,V&H slipons and a/c, and it runs perfect. It helps to find an expert. That can be the hardest part.
I can feel your frustration, I remember you started that thread a while back. I am a noob at tuning and have to rely on others who know more, but I don't think the IEDs are the the cure.

Old 11-01-2009 | 03:56 PM
RonB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ronn39
I have been considering buying an '09 model bagger but hadn't seen any comments on here from '09 owners about the XIED. I checked the Nightrider site and saw '09s listed but a note that they were not being released for FLH models. So I Emailed them and promptly got back a response from Steve:

"Harley made some changes for the 09 Touring bike fly-by-wire system. The changes seem to be in either the ECM, internal programming or wiring harness. But the changes did create some issues with the XIED's that I am not happy with. Until I am satisfied with the performance and certain that all issues have been resolved, I am withholding certification for the 09 Touring bikes."

I LIKE this guy's attitude and his response.

I just wonder if the Moco will screw up their mickey-mouse EFI systems even worse for the 2010 models.
Nightrider FL-XIED,s for 09 touring models are available as of Nov 1

Old 11-02-2009 | 07:31 AM
ronster2
Advanced

Originally Posted by nevil
The TMax is great, and it has auto tune. You have to start out with the right map, like any other tuner. As you ride it it gets dialed in. It is closed loop and replaces the O2 sensors with wide band auto type sensors. I see Zippers has 50 state software now.
I got it before the TTS came out, which I may have gotten instead.
Some bikes are easier than others to get just right. A buddy of mine has an 07 Ultra, he put on a Fuelpak,V&H slipons and a/c, and it runs perfect. It helps to find an expert. That can be the hardest part.
I can feel your frustration, I remember you started that thread a while back. I am a noob at tuning and have to rely on others who know more, but I don't think the IEDs are the the cure.
I'm going back to square one and build another tune. This time I'm going to focus on tweaking the main spark table as describe in the manual, page 62. I'll check the log for knock retard and remove timing in questionable MAP/RPM regions, add 2 deg. everywhere below 80 kPa. I'll continue the process as described in the manual.
Since my pinging problems have always occurred while on a road trip without my laptop, it hasn't been possible for me to find the problem areas.

My plan is to keep a print out of all pertinent tables, take my laptop with me along with cables on my next road trip next summer. When I experience pinging, I should be able to run Datamaster log and pin-point the area to tweak. Maybe this will get me close to the correct table.

This is a helluva thing to do while on a road trip, but I just don't have the problem all the time. I tend to take trips west and encounter higher altitude and mountains. This is where my pinging is worst... under a heavy loads, at high rpm, and high temps.

It appears I must "man up" and resolve this problem myself due to the variables involved. Thanks for the help!

Ronster2

Old 12-28-2009 | 12:18 AM
sky_electra
Novice

So sorry to bring this thread back alive again... I have an UC 07 with SE A/C, SE slip on and SE Super Tuner (everything else is stock). Do I still need this IED to cool the engine down? For those who had installed IED since day 1, would you share some comments about reliability of this product? Thank you very much in advance.

Old 12-28-2009 | 01:28 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior

The IED tricks the ECU into delivering a richer mixture which, in turn, burns cooler. You can set the mixture to run cooler directly with the SEST, so there is no need for the IEDs.

IEDs are just resistors and are as reliable as the cable harness and its connectors.

Old 02-18-2010 | 10:00 AM
coconl
Advanced
Thumbs up Xied

You guys are great salesmen. I ordered the Xieds and got them in no time flat.problem is I live in NY and have 2mos. of winter left. So it will be awhile before I put them on. Some one mentioned a video on the installation and I can't seem to find it. Off hand does anybody have the link to the video. Thanks

Old 03-22-2010 | 04:14 PM
jojo2dog
Road Captain

i just put a set on a 2008 superglide took 20 min. trace the wires from the 02 sensors to the plug one of mine was under the seat very easy.the other one was under a cover on the front of the bike on the frame .also very easy.used one wire tie to tie it up to the frame.there a very good bang for the buck. wont make it a crotch rocket.but it took all the hesitation out of mine

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test