Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:00 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Oh, I forgot to add something - about elevation changes.

Your EFI adjusts fueling via the MAP Sensor (manifold absolute pressure). As you increase elevation, the amount of pressure the sensor feeds back to the ECU is less, because the atmospheric pressure is less at higher altitudes. So your ECU will adapt to elevation and reduce fueling to compensate for less air.

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:13 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57
This one may be my BooBoo. I have before and after dyno runs. I will post them as soon as possible. Should have thought of that!

Ok. Here is the dyno chart. Bottom charting is stock, top charting is with the home made IED's installed and the IAT relocated into the airbox.
How is that huge change in top end power explained? All the change is above 4000 RPM

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:17 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Many codes have a baro correction that adds fuel to account for the lack of back pressuere that the exhaust sees at higher altitude. Less exhaust back pressureat the very least changes the scavanging and this results in a change in VE. I am suspect that Harleymay dothis as there is a baro number in the data logs.

Way cool stuff.

AW

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:23 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: MotorMedic

Thanks again Rider. So this may bea stupid question, but will installing the IEDs in any way damage or negatively affect my bike. I'm hoping to pick up my 08 EGC soon and that is my biggest concern. This is my first HD and I'm pretty convinced that the IEDs will make it even better, but I certainly don't want to take any chances. Thanks again to all of you for this enlightening thread.

Joe
The only negative, if you can call it that, is your MPG. Other than that, I can find nothing.

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:29 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

This one may be my BooBoo. I have before and after dyno runs. I will post them as soon as possible. Should have thought of that!

Ok. Here is the dyno chart. Bottom charting is stock, top charting is with the home made IED's installed and the IAT relocated into the airbox.
How is that huge change in top end power explained? All the change is above 4000 RPM
The bike started as a strong runner. It had more HP to begin with than is normally there.
No 2 engines are alike. Little differences produce different results. Couple that with test parameters and you get varied results. On a warm summer day here in the mountain areas I may loose 4 or 5 HP, maybe more. Running gas with no MTBE or ethanol helps also. If you really want to see a change, try running a tank full of 110 aviation gas and see the difference.

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:38 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

One possibleexplanation is,if the engine's original A/Fand ignition advance was incorrect, installing IEDs and relocating the IAT will change the A/F atWOT thruthefuel changes itre-learned during closed loop and applied to open loop and the IAT relocation will affect fuel and ignition advance at WOT higher RPM. The luck of the draw could enhance the engine's performanceabove 4000 RPM if these changeshelped to correct an incorrect tune, not very scientific, maybe just lucky.

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:45 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Nice results Rider 57. The Dyno runs look good.

Thanks

Old 03-06-2008 | 10:46 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Boy, I amreluctant toget into the av gas / race gas debate with this croud.

Lucky? Possibly, but there is an explanation. It will take data logs to find what changed. I wonder why I never seem to see data logs posted....

AW

Old 03-06-2008 | 11:45 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

One possibleexplanation is,if the engine's original A/Fand ignition advance was incorrect, installing IEDs and relocating the IAT will change the A/F atWOT thruthefuel changes itre-learned during closed loop and applied to open loop and the IAT relocation will affect fuel and ignition advance at WOT higher RPM. The luck of the draw could enhance the engine's performanceabove 4000 RPM if these changeshelped to correct an incorrect tune, not very scientific, maybe just lucky.
You are correct. I haven't look at the current load I am running in any detail but as time allows I will.
I am going to stay on this "project" until I can verify and maintain the results over the course of a riding season. If there are any big changes I will post them here.

Old 03-06-2008 | 11:50 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have never used data logs as the readings only show what is there during the last download. Looking at the live dyno feed shows real time data for me. Thats what I always have used.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test