Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009 | 12:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider57
The O2 system is not used in open loop so it really does not matter.
I know, but my point is that IED's don't address AFR needs outside closed-loop mode, and therein lies their biggest limitation. That's the crux of it: IED's don't function outside closed-loop mode, so if you make any change to a stock bike other than mufflers you'll either need to perform a Stage 1 download (poor result for the money) or buy a real EFI controller. There will be no problem with the bike's performance in closed-loop mode, which will be idle and part-throttle (<50%)--i.e. cruising speeds.

Old 04-30-2009 | 12:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gary7
You need to go back and read all of sextec's posts to me in this thread if you want to see "personal attacks." He's denounced IEDs as being a "snake oil" product that doesn't do a thing but make us poor ***** who were stupid enough to buy them feel good.

As for the "faithful," we are for the most part riders who have actually used these things and seen what they can do and how they affect the driveability of our bikes. When someone like sextec comes along and wants to tell me it's all in my head, I tend to get a little riled. You, on the other hand, seem to comprehend how IEDs work and what their intended purpose is, even though you've never tried them yourself.
No, I haven't installed or used IED's and don't think they are "snake oil." They do serve a limited niche. If a person wants to keep a bike stock or only add aftermarket slip-ons IED's will address heat issues and perhaps regain some lost throttle response brought upon by the lean stock AFR's.

We all know their limitations by now so I won't blather on about that again. I didn't read all 300+ pages of this thread and didn't notice the personal attacks you refer to, but it isn't really necessary since nobody should have an interest in coercing or browbeating anyone to buy or not buy IED's or anything else. The thread seems to have aired out the pros and cons about IED's, with lots of extraneous filler material in between , and prospective buyers can learn from that.

Old 04-30-2009 | 06:58 PM
ubreal
Road Master

Yes it is a shame Harley did not make wide band set up, I put a Harley race fueler on my bike and ran a dyno run my bike in open loop ran very rich which I can adjust. But in close loop I am running the ied. I would like to keep the closed loop lean for good mileage but not as lean as Harley wants. Here’s a post of a dyno run with the race fueler I also ask the tuner to tell me what the afr is at idle and at a steady 3000 rpms he told me at idle it was about 18.1 and at cruse it was running at 15.1 (I did not have the ied on when I did this) I do not know why at idle the afr was at 18.1 I am hopping he made a mistake. The nice thing about the race fueler is it is cheap I only paid $70.and it works well with the Harley ECM. I am sure that you can run both race fueler and ied to take care of both modes For under $200.Yea you could buy a sert or a pc3 and get it dyno but why, the bike is design to run hot and when I ran a sert I only gain about 1 to 2 horse more to me it is not worth it. (I spent $400. on the sert and $350. on the dyno tune)

Attached Thumbnails  Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test-scan0001.jpg    Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test-race-tuner-dyno.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009 | 09:25 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
I know, but my point is that IED's don't address AFR needs outside closed-loop mode, and therein lies their biggest limitation. That's the crux of it: IED's don't function outside closed-loop mode, so if you make any change to a stock bike other than mufflers you'll either need to perform a Stage 1 download (poor result for the money) or buy a real EFI controller. There will be no problem with the bike's performance in closed-loop mode, which will be idle and part-throttle (<50%)--i.e. cruising speeds.
I have yet to see a bike that has issues of magnitude in open-loop.

Old 05-01-2009 | 09:30 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
Doesn't your "check engine" light stay on until cleared or 50 cycles, whichever comes first?
I have never had a check engine light while using the IED's, XiED's or testing the ViED's.
A check engine light comes on during run and not crank.

Old 05-01-2009 | 09:37 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CR
I know the xied's only are effective in closed loop and that is fine but the assumption is that the ecm is rich enough for the open loop part if you only have altered slip ons and/or SEAC, which evidently it is not on my CVO. All numbers are dyno results and not butt numbers (i am not that stupid). I wanted to stay stock as much as possible but the PC V is really much better than the xied's with the SEAC, again on my CVO on which the SEAC is maybe more critical (see improvement of more than 10hp, with SEAC only).
It is not your AFR being too lean in open-loop. It's the VE's not being correct. The PCV covers up the 110's inherent problems buy masking it with fuel. Thats not the cure. There are different break points in the 110 for the ecu to take on detonation set within the map and they are not correct, they are close but not close enough.

Old 07-14-2009 | 05:16 PM
ronn39
Road Master

I have been considering buying an '09 model bagger but hadn't seen any comments on here from '09 owners about the XIED. I checked the Nightrider site and saw '09s listed but a note that they were not being released for FLH models. So I Emailed them and promptly got back a response from Steve:

"Harley made some changes for the 09 Touring bike fly-by-wire system. The changes seem to be in either the ECM, internal programming or wiring harness. But the changes did create some issues with the XIED's that I am not happy with. Until I am satisfied with the performance and certain that all issues have been resolved, I am withholding certification for the 09 Touring bikes."

I LIKE this guy's attitude and his response.

I just wonder if the Moco will screw up their mickey-mouse EFI systems even worse for the 2010 models.

Last edited by ronn39; 07-14-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2009 | 05:20 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Angry

System dupped it. No delete option.

Last edited by ronn39; 07-14-2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Duped
Old 08-14-2009 | 06:07 PM
hitchpan
Intermediate
Default Will they work on a 06 SG?

Just got the bike and it runs hotter than the shovelhead that I had. Will these nightrider 02 IED's work on an 06 SG? I sure hope so. I just bought a premium oil cooler from MOCO. I've got SE slipons and stock EFI, I am dumb when it comes to EFI, but I'm learning allot here.

Old 10-30-2009 | 11:14 AM
ronster2
Advanced
Default Nightrider FL-XiED

Since I have an 2009, I'm thinking about going back to the factory ECM program and just installing the FL-XiED's. I'm tired of the tweaking of the TSS and it still runs hot and pings.

Ronster2

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test