Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009 | 09:23 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary7
Another "expert" who's never held, seen, touched, or installed IEDs on his (her?) bike, but wants to tell those who have how they don't work.

Eat me. Back on the ignore list you go.
see what i mean?? the little turd cant stand for anybody to tell the truth about the xieds. his partner el fanass butt buddy must have woke him up.lmfao.

Last edited by txtec; 04-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2009 | 10:06 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gary7
Another "expert" who's never held, seen, touched, or installed IEDs on his (her?) bike, but wants to tell those who have how they don't work.

Eat me. Back on the ignore list you go.
Gary, please. I've never touched or held a grizzly bear but I know enough about their abilities and behavior to avoid them. The point of this discussion isn't whether any of us have handled or installed IED's but how they work in a real environment. Do you dispute any of the limitations that have been borne out here? The thrust of my comments and others weren't to sway the faithful, which appears to be impossible, but to inform others who might want to make a rational decision on IED's. If you feel that strongly about IED's you should be discussing the subject calmly and compellingly, and I'll wager that personal attacks and placing others on your "ignore list" won't propagate your POV.

Old 04-29-2009 | 10:17 PM
ubreal
Road Master

Before I used the ied my o2 sensors were white like chalk. After 2000 miles with the ieds I change my pipes and the o2 sensors where light brown. At first I did not think they work some times my oil would be a 240 to 280 and on the highway it would stay at 240. I still would like to see some one stick a afr meter up the exhaust and curse in 4th gear then tell me what the meter says.

Old 04-29-2009 | 10:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
Primarily, but someone in this thread had posted that it does influence open-loop.
I've been able to gather some info on AFV's and how they work with IED's which may be helpful. AFV's don't directly affect the open loop area, however there is a cell blend area outside closed loop that will be affected by them, and it changes with different years, models, and calibrations. This is the problem with IED's and variants as this would be considered a transition area which in the stock calibration is configured rich. This is for times when you go from the lean closed loop and roll the throttle open under load so it doesn't detonate to death.

The critical flaw with the IED is that because they work by tricking the ecm into thinking the mixture is leaner than it actually is they create a bigger problem which is an extremely rich transition area when it exits closed loop. That's because the AFV's have affected this blend area, and for that reason you will see as rich as 12:1 in this area. This can be seen on the dyno and on PCV-AT fuel trims from bikes that previously had IED's installed.

The second issue is that the ECM has a limited range of adjustment which changes based on the year, bike and calibration-- but keep in mind the strategy is not to adjust for changes in components, it is to keep the AFR at 14.6:1. The problem is because the ECM has only limited adjustment in closed loop and IED's are saying its leaner than it really is, you are already near or outside the window of adjustment and it will set an engine code. You may be able to get by with just mufflers or just an air cleaner, but you are well outside the window of adjustment with both and it will set front and rear cylinder lean codes.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2009 | 10:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by ubreal
Before I used the ied my o2 sensors were white like chalk. After 2000 miles with the ieds I change my pipes and the o2 sensors where light brown. At first I did not think they work some times my oil would be a 240 to 280 and on the highway it would stay at 240. I still would like to see some one stick a afr meter up the exhaust and curse in 4th gear then tell me what the meter says.
If the exhaust sniffer was accurate it would show 13.8-14.2:1 depending on the type of IED used, and that should lower oil temperatures by richening the AFR. As a result the head runs cooler and so does the oil. Nobody's denouncing the IED's ability to richen AFR's in the cruise range, as that's clearly the area they are supposed to affect. The issue is that they don't work outside closed-loop mode and therein lies their big weakness.

Old 04-29-2009 | 11:59 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by iclick
Gary, please. I've never touched or held a grizzly bear but I know enough about their abilities and behavior to avoid them. The point of this discussion isn't whether any of us have handled or installed IED's but how they work in a real environment. Do you dispute any of the limitations that have been borne out here? The thrust of my comments and others weren't to sway the faithful, which appears to be impossible, but to inform others who might want to make a rational decision on IED's. If you feel that strongly about IED's you should be discussing the subject calmly and compellingly, and I'll wager that personal attacks and placing others on your "ignore list" won't propagate your POV.
You need to go back and read all of sextec's posts to me in this thread if you want to see "personal attacks." He's denounced IEDs as being a "snake oil" product that doesn't do a thing but make us poor ***** who were stupid enough to buy them feel good.

As for the "faithful," we are for the most part riders who have actually used these things and seen what they can do and how they affect the driveability of our bikes. When someone like sextec comes along and wants to tell me it's all in my head, I tend to get a little riled. You, on the other hand, seem to comprehend how IEDs work and what their intended purpose is, even though you've never tried them yourself.

Old 04-30-2009 | 10:26 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CR
I know the xied's only are effective in closed loop and that is fine but the assumption is that the ecm is rich enough for the open loop part if you only have altered slip ons and/or SEAC, which evidently it is not on my CVO. All numbers are dyno results and not butt numbers (i am not that stupid). I wanted to stay stock as much as possible but the PC V is really much better than the xied's with the SEAC, again on my CVO on which the SEAC is maybe more critical (see improvement of more than 10hp, with SEAC only).
Testing the PC system the reported AFR is off buy .75, keep that in mind.

Old 04-30-2009 | 10:30 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I've been able to gather some info on AFV's and how they work with IED's which may be helpful. AFV's don't directly affect the open loop area, however there is a cell blend area outside closed loop that will be affected by them, and it changes with different years, models, and calibrations. This is the problem with IED's and variants as this would be considered a transition area which in the stock calibration is configured rich. This is for times when you go from the lean closed loop and roll the throttle open under load so it doesn't detonate to death.

The critical flaw with the IED is that because they work by tricking the ecm into thinking the mixture is leaner than it actually is they create a bigger problem which is an extremely rich transition area when it exits closed loop. That's because the AFV's have affected this blend area, and for that reason you will see as rich as 12:1 in this area. This can be seen on the dyno and on PCV-AT fuel trims from bikes that previously had IED's installed.

The second issue is that the ECM has a limited range of adjustment which changes based on the year, bike and calibration-- but keep in mind the strategy is not to adjust for changes in components, it is to keep the AFR at 14.6:1. The problem is because the ECM has only limited adjustment in closed loop and IED's are saying its leaner than it really is, you are already near or outside the window of adjustment and it will set an engine code. You may be able to get by with just mufflers or just an air cleaner, but you are well outside the window of adjustment with both and it will set front and rear cylinder lean codes.

Hope this helps.
From what I have found is that these codes are set during crank and are pre run condition and are thus historic and not present in running condition.

Old 04-30-2009 | 10:32 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

If the exhaust sniffer was accurate it would show 13.8-14.2:1 depending on the type of IED used, and that should lower oil temperatures by richening the AFR. As a result the head runs cooler and so does the oil. Nobody's denouncing the IED's ability to richen AFR's in the cruise range, as that's clearly the area they are supposed to affect. The issue is that they don't work outside closed-loop mode and therein lies their big weakness.
The O2 system is not used in open loop so it really does not matter.

Old 04-30-2009 | 11:59 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider57
From what I have found is that these codes are set during crank and are pre run condition and are thus historic and not present in running condition.
Doesn't your "check engine" light stay on until cleared or 50 cycles, whichever comes first?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test