Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009 | 03:20 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bent Wrench
Iclicks point is they don't do anything for open loop operation and the cost of the devices and the download is money down the toilet that could be put towards a real tuneup [not some halfassed bandaid].

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:01 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
That statement is utter nonsense. They don't replace ANYTHING!
right...they dont replace the 02 sensors...you simply plug them between where the connector for the 02 sensor connects to the wire that goes to the ECM...no need to even pull the 02 sensors

Old 04-24-2009 | 08:04 PM
SD Night Train
Cruiser

Originally Posted by El Jinete Fantasma
its a great bandaid that doesnt hurt anything and gets you desired results until you are ready to tune your bike for other engine mods....stage 1 a/c and new pipes is no reason to tune. This is simply what dealers try to get you to believe in order to cover their *** with the EPA....and to get you to spend more $$ on the stage 1 download

Old 04-25-2009 | 01:54 PM
CR
Advanced

2008 CVO with xied's ran OK (80hp), then SEAC with standard mufflers still with xied,s (91hp and 125 nm) but bad drivability and knock sensor kicking in. Now PC V instead of xied's (92,5hp and 140nm) by-passed o2 sensors (13,5 AFR) and active exhaust valve. Runs very well pulling from 90 km/h in 6th gear to well over 200 km/h (measured with garmin zumo).

Old 04-25-2009 | 04:27 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by CR
2008 CVO with xied's ran OK (80hp), then SEAC with standard mufflers still with xied,s (91hp and 125 nm) but bad drivability and knock sensor kicking in. Now PC V instead of xied's (92,5hp and 140nm) by-passed o2 sensors (13,5 AFR) and active exhaust valve. Runs very well pulling from 90 km/h in 6th gear to well over 200 km/h (measured with garmin zumo).
xieds have absolutly nothing to do with w.ot. horsepower.are you using a dynojet or butt dyno for those numbers?????

Old 04-26-2009 | 03:28 AM
CR
Advanced

I know the xied's only are effective in closed loop and that is fine but the assumption is that the ecm is rich enough for the open loop part if you only have altered slip ons and/or SEAC, which evidently it is not on my CVO. All numbers are dyno results and not butt numbers (i am not that stupid). I wanted to stay stock as much as possible but the PC V is really much better than the xied's with the SEAC, again on my CVO on which the SEAC is maybe more critical (see improvement of more than 10hp, with SEAC only).

Old 04-26-2009 | 08:21 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CR
I know the xied's only are effective in closed loop and that is fine but the assumption is that the ecm is rich enough for the open loop part if you only have altered slip ons and/or SEAC, which evidently it is not on my CVO. All numbers are dyno results and not butt numbers (i am not that stupid). I wanted to stay stock as much as possible but the PC V is really much better than the xied's with the SEAC, again on my CVO on which the SEAC is maybe more critical (see improvement of more than 10hp, with SEAC only).
If you put the Screamin' Eagle AC on, you need the download irrespective of whether or not you are using the xieds. If you didn't do the download, that's why you had the problems.

Old 04-26-2009 | 11:19 AM
CR
Advanced

There is no download for a 2008 CVO, you have to buy SERT and then you can get a map for the SEAC. The point about the xied's is that they enrichen the AFR enough to get away with a SEAC and/or slip-ons in closed loop and the ECM is adaptive enough for open loop (whether it actually adapts or not). What I observed is that this does not work on my CVO. When I used the xied's with the SEAC (stock mufflers) the power was there on the dyno but on the road the ion sensing system frequently retarded the ignition or whatever it is it does making the bike powerless. The PC V is rather crude, but my dealer doesn't feel comfortable with the SERT and told me they would put the PC on and when I don't like it they will change it for SERT or direct link at no additional costs other than the price difference. The bike runs well and I really like the improved characteristics. The power without slip-ons is 92,5 hp which for now is enough for and actually I ( and the people I ride with) cannot stand the noise of loud pipes. I might be able to increase power a bit by altering the ignition timing, has anyone tried that and what is the effect?

Old 04-26-2009 | 12:32 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CR
There is no download for a 2008 CVO, you have to buy SERT and then you can get a map for the SEAC. The point about the xied's is that they enrichen the AFR enough to get away with a SEAC and/or slip-ons in closed loop and the ECM is adaptive enough for open loop (whether it actually adapts or not).
When in open loop the ECM reverts to fixed tables, so how in the hell can it "adapt"? That's the whole point of the Stage I download: to change the open loop tables so the bike doesn't run too lean with the freer breathing SE air cleaner.

Old 04-26-2009 | 03:51 PM
CR
Advanced

Whether or not the ECM adapts in the sense that it recalculates the open loop for changes occurring in closed loop, I do not know, but a number of people think that it actually does that. There have been very lengthy discussions about this and I am not an expert so I leave it to other people. All I know is that the claims that the ECM would allow minor changes even better in combination with xieds did not work for my particular bike.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test