Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009 | 01:04 AM
amore
1st Gear

I have had the vance and hines fuel pack on my 07flhrc for almost 2 years and am very pleased. temp is much lower and bike runs great.

Old 01-04-2009 | 09:21 AM
Watchfuliz
Road Captain

I have pulled the Xied's and plan on putting in a PC III from FM. At the time I did my test ride I had only changed the mufflers to the Rineharts with the addition of muffler packing around the baffles. Since I have decided to go with the PC III I went ahead and bought the SE AC and installed it. I have not reconnected the O2 sensors and am not running the bike till I get the PC III. I looked at the master tune, but don't see how it could be set without a dyno. I agree that a can map will not get the most from any engine, but I am not looking for race type horsepower here. I just want a reliable running bike that sounds good and has a little better ump than stock with fair gas mileage. I don't plan on making any more changes performance wise to this bike.

Old 01-04-2009 | 10:03 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

With the TTS tuning system, you can tune without a dyno by loading a special map which sets the closed-loop areas to cover much more area than is prudent for normal use. The goal is only to measure the results of the fuel calculations and determine what VE changes need to be made. When it's done, you put the "regular" AFR values back, and they'll be right because the VE tables are right. What's more, with the TTS you can use the closed-loop, and especially, the "adaptive fueling" to proper and good advantage.

My base TTS map had the idle mixture set richer than closed-loop and the temps are good at idle.

The TTS is the best way to use our bikes.

Old 04-20-2009 | 03:51 PM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

I hesitate to bring this thread back from the dead, but I think my input might be useful. I learned a lot in the course of reading the entire thing, especially from glens, who kept fighting the good fight in the face of the Koolaid-Drinking Brigade. LOL!

I'd ordered a pair of O2 IEDs soon after I started reading this thread. The bike ran great with just the Screaming Eagle slip-ons. Midway through reading, I was kicking myself for not ordering the XIEDs.
After a couple email exchanges with Stephen from Nightrider I felt confident in changing my a/c. I went with the Ness Big Sucker, with great results. I benefited from an even greater performance gain than I did with the pipes. No pops or heat problems and the bike just pulled! Still... despite what I'd read about the ECM being able to handle doing the Stage 1 without any help, it didn't sit right with me... even with my bike seemingly running great. It did run a little more rough at 70+ MPH, but it didn't seem like a big deal. It put it through its paces for about two weeks without a hitch.
I did start looking at my options since I figured the bike could run even better with a little help. The experience I had with the FuelPak on my old Nightster left a bad taste in my mouth in regards to piggyback units.
After weighing it out, I decided to go with the Harley Stage 1 download, even though some said it did practically nothing. I figured it couldn't hurt. The bike already ran great and if all it did was help the ECM address the freer-flowing intake and pipes, then I could quit thinking about it and just ride.
Well, I got the download on Thursday... wow. I'm glad I rode around without it so I would feel the difference. I gotta say, it really refined the way the bike operates. I may have lost a little off-the-line grunt, but gained a ton in smoothing the revs out across the spectrum. I lost the rough running at higher speeds and now I can feel the thrust in any gear, at any speed when I twist it on.
Great thread... it really helped a bunch!

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:51 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Given all the kudos for IED and it's variants on this thread, be advised that these devices have serious limitations. They work by replacing the O2 sensors with $3 resistors to basically fool the EFI into producing a 13.8-14.2 AFR (depending on which variant) while in closed-loop mode. The stock EFI runs in closed-loop only below about 50% TP (throttle position) and below about 3K RPM.

Above that threshold these devices don't affect AFR's or anything else at all. IOW, at WOT they don't affect performance in any way. At part throttle they may provide a slight increase in throttle response and at cruise will tend to allow the engine to run cooler because of richer AFR's.

What makes these devices so limiting is that any mod beyond replacing the mufflers will require either adding an HD Stage 1 download or removing the IED's and replacing them with a real EFI controller. By the time you pay for the IED's and a Stage 1 download you could buy an EFI controller that can adapt to future modifications and at minimum make meaningful changes to AFR's and ignition timing that translates into real performance benefits.

If you want to keep the stock hardware (AC, mufflers, cams, etc.) or don't plan on making any changes other than mufflers, these devices can help cool the engine by enrichening AFR's at part throttle (cruise or idle). Other than this they provide little or no benefit other than provide a high profit margin to the seller.

Old 04-21-2009 | 11:23 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser

iclick = the voice of sanity on a dark and stormy night

+10 rep

Old 04-22-2009 | 11:04 AM
El Jinete Fantasma
Road Captain

Originally Posted by iclick
Given all the kudos for IED and it's variants on this thread, be advised that these devices have serious limitations. They work by replacing the O2 sensors with $3 resistors to basically fool the EFI into producing a 13.8-14.2 AFR (depending on which variant) while in closed-loop mode. The stock EFI runs in closed-loop only below about 50% TP (throttle position) and below about 3K RPM.

Above that threshold these devices don't affect AFR's or anything else at all. IOW, at WOT they don't affect performance in any way. At part throttle they may provide a slight increase in throttle response and at cruise will tend to allow the engine to run cooler because of richer AFR's.

What makes these devices so limiting is that any mod beyond replacing the mufflers will require either adding an HD Stage 1 download or removing the IED's and replacing them with a real EFI controller. By the time you pay for the IED's and a Stage 1 download you could buy an EFI controller that can adapt to future modifications and at minimum make meaningful changes to AFR's and ignition timing that translates into real performance benefits.

If you want to keep the stock hardware (AC, mufflers, cams, etc.) or don't plan on making any changes other than mufflers, these devices can help cool the engine by enrichening AFR's at part throttle (cruise or idle). Other than this they provide little or no benefit other than provide a high profit margin to the seller.
I'm aware of the limitations, but the download and IEDs are working great together. I don't plan on any engine mods. If I were, I'd go with SERT, as I just don't like the idea of piggyback units.

Old 04-22-2009 | 07:30 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
They work by replacing the O2 sensors with $3 resistors...
That statement is utter nonsense. They don't replace ANYTHING!

Old 04-22-2009 | 07:56 PM
txtec
Banned
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr. Lucky
This statement is utter nonsense. i don't know ANYTHING!
lmfao

Old 04-22-2009 | 09:39 PM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser

Iclicks point is they don't do anything for open loop operation and the cost of the devices and the download is money down the toilet that could be put towards a real tuneup [not some halfassed bandaid].

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test