Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:22 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I believe he's running a SE Road King.....Numbers might be different due to the motor...

bikerbehavioristAre you running the 110 or 103? if your running the same difference in temps, before and after, you should get the same results.

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:33 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Yeah sorry guys. I am running a stock 110 Screaming eagle road king the one pictured in my sig. My results thus far are just from riding. Certainly not the rigors that others have gone to with riding the same routes with and with out the IED's installed etc. Also my temp. guage is just oil temp. not head temps. If I can get the dyno time what info would you like other than temp. differences, AFR and obviously my horsepower and tourque #s - I just want to add to the knowledge base if I can. I am very happy with performance of my bike and bought these with the intent of cooling the temps down. I may be ready at some point for air cleaner and pipes but not now. I am playing phone tag with the tuner so at least he is calling back Outside temps have been in the upper 60's and low 70's and the oil temps on a 35 mile mixed highway/surface road commute have been 225-230 instead of 230-235. This guage is not that well graduated so there may be some error but the same error on all readings....

Old 03-06-2008 | 12:55 AM
heywood727
Road Master

That's great! I'd suggest what cruiser did. get one of those cheap infrared thermometer and take a few readings as cruiser did on Post 1.

Even though you motor is going to throw more heat, Try mimicking the experiment with and without the IED's. If you get close enough with the temp difference as others have.... well, you win!

If you do get it dyno'd, it'd be interesting to see what gains you made in Hp and torque with just the IED's? I'd really like to see the documentation on how much $80 buys?? I don't think we've seen that yet. I would suspect it'll show in the Idle to 3500/4000 rpm range before it jumps to open loop.

Let us know how you make out. The Dyno is just an added bonus. Thanks bikerbehaviorist

Heywood

Old 03-06-2008 | 05:46 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I have not seen a single person dyno a stock bike and then install these things and then go driver it for several hundres miles and then redyno. Clear documentation on how the code works is scarce buy at least some long term changes mid rangeand up top are likely. If it can be felt from the drivers seat depends how close to the edge the bike was before you started and if this device will push it over the edge.

AW

Old 03-06-2008 | 08:43 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

I have not seen a single person dyno a stock bike and then install these things and then go driver it for several hundres miles and then redyno.

AW
Why would you have to ride the several hundred miles in between??

Old 03-06-2008 | 08:44 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have not seen a single person dyno a stock bike and then install these things and then go driver it for several hundres miles and then redyno. Clear documentation on how the code works is scarce buy at least some long term changes mid rangeand up top are likely. If it can be felt from the drivers seat depends how close to the edge the bike was before you started and if this device will push it over the edge.

AW
This one may be my BooBoo. I have before and after dyno runs. I will post them as soon as possible. Should have thought of that!

Ok. Here is the dyno chart. Bottom charting is stock, top charting is with the home made IED's installed and the IAT relocated into the airbox.

[IMG]local://upfiles/53823/29566FC213CD44DBA06D0163A84BE2D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-06-2008 | 09:36 AM
donk_316
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bikerbehaviorist

I have not seen a single person dyno a stock bike and then install these things and then go driver it for several hundres miles and then redyno.

AW
Why would you have to ride the several hundred miles in between??
So the bike can relearn its AFV

Old 03-06-2008 | 09:45 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I am still putting the modification do's and don'ts in "laymans terms" and will post them today(hopefully).

Old 03-06-2008 | 09:50 AM
CKinAZ
Road Master

Installed the IED's yesterday. Took about 5 minutes! I didn't have to remove anything except a couple zip ties.

I only rode it to work so far and the only thing I can notice is that I seem to be using less throttle for the same speeds. I didn't expect that. I have a Throttle Boss installed on my grip so it's easy to tell how far I am turning the throttle. Other than that, it seems to run a bit smoother at speed as well. I'll update my results as I put on more miles. So far so good.

Old 03-06-2008 | 09:57 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

Thanks again Rider. So this may bea stupid question, but will installing the IEDs in any way damage or negatively affect my bike. I'm hoping to pick up my 08 EGC soon and that is my biggest concern. This is my first HD and I'm pretty convinced that the IEDs will make it even better, but I certainly don't want to take any chances. Thanks again to all of you for this enlightening thread.

Joe

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test