Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 04:16 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

Direct Link has a USB key that will access the program and lock to your bike just like the VCI dongle. A tuner will need the ALDL box for flashing the ECU. It will adjust VE tables front and rear, ignition front and rear, AFR Table values, warm up fuel table, cranking fuel table, idle table, IAC table, Closed loop bias table, Accel Enrichment, decel enleanment, Knock control, Engine displacement, injector size, RPM limit all the same tables that are in SERT. The 09 version will be released soon and they will have added the Throttle Progresstivity table for the 08 and 09 FBW. This will then be the same as SERT or SEST. TTS Mastertune has a few more tables that can be adjusted and some features like Speedo calibration and saving the base program on the bike that are nice. You will get the same final results from the bike using any of these products. If cost is a factor then Direct Link and a dyno tune is the way to go. Most dyno tuners who are into quality tuning will have the ALDL box from Technoresearch so a customer will only have to buy the key and pay for the tune.

Old 10-01-2008 | 04:54 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

How can one get the same quality tune up if the tuner is unable to have access to some of the tables that need adjusting? For starters SERT and SESPT do not allow the tuner to adjust the WOT (PE) fuel mixture along with several other necessary tables. So if Direct Link only does what they do its no where close to the same as Mastertune. Then V-tune allows for the Auto tune feature that comes as part of the package for no cost increase. I do not believe we are comparing apples to apples here at all. When you look at overall cost I think you will find Mastertune has them all covered and the customer is not stuck at one tuner to do the job as they will have everything they need themselves.

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:01 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

I admit you have some nice features in Mastertune but at the end of the tune looking at HP/TQ and ultimately the rideability they all yield about the same results. This is assuming that the tuner has a clue what he is doing. I have tuned with them all and the bikes all turn out beautifully, is one better than the other the rider can not tell and the data does not point to one being so much more superior than the other. Not arguing with you as I like MasterTune, but I also tune for a living and can make any of these Tuning programs mentioned work out fine. If the customer wants MasterTune then go for it. If they want Direct Link then that is okay too. SERT and SEST2.0 work fine so I basically leave it up to the customer who ultimately pays. SInce I own the Direct Link ALDL box for a customer to come to me I can tune their bike and sell them a Direct Link key for about the same price you are selling MasterTune. It is all in what the customer or owner are comfortable with. I have lots of customers that want to stay all Harley, that is okay too.

Old 10-01-2008 | 09:18 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I understand you tune but as I stated before how can you do the same tuning when you cannot get access to the tables in any other program? Not saying they do not work but the quality of the tune depends greatly on what the tuner can and cannot change. Now if the tuner chooses not to use the information we have supplied that's another issue. I know that the information we have will allow for a better tune and you should be able to produce better power along with better fuel economy with our product than the others but as always its in the tuners hands.

Old 10-02-2008 | 08:26 AM
eddfive
Cruiser

Well Steve I guess we have a little difference of opinion. Again I like your product but as you say it is in the tuners hands. Yes, I used and adjusted some of the added features you have but most of them will not effect HP/TQ and rideability, the WOT PE table may but I force the ECU to a value that I want whether I adjust this table or do it with the VE table. Anyway as I said I like your product, will continue to use it if that is what customers want. Here lately it has been all about the money and dollars spent on a tune and software so I can offer an alternative that includes the software and a tune for the same or near the same price as SERT, SEST or MasterTune. I believe it is more about customer service and satisfaction then debating products. If bike owners ever ride a bike that has been tuned professionally and correctly they would not even question the dollars spent for the software and the tune. There are too many "hack" tuners that make it difficult for good tuners that try to achieve a high quality level on every bike to get paid what it is really worth. Hopefully I will get more people asking for MasterTune if that is what they want.

Old 10-02-2008 | 10:56 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I agree its all about what someone is willing to pay, but trying to force the ECM doesn't work out over the long haul. You can make a good number on the dyno with many of the products out there but down the road in changing conditions (ie: hot day Vs cold day, at sea level Vs in the mountains) is where the tune will really shine when its done properly with the proper tools so you don't have to force anything. This thread is about IED's and there place in the tuning industry so I guess we will just agree to disagree.

Old 10-02-2008 | 12:39 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, guys. That was fun!

Old 10-02-2008 | 01:33 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CR
I believe you can tinker around at home with the new SERT and the accompanying datalogging device I believe, is this also the case with Directlink?
I'd been wondering much the same thing. To me "tinkering at home" would include reading and writing the ECU. I believe this question has only been directly answered in part.

What I believe I've gathered is the DirectLink needs an external datagathering mechanism, and by itself does not have the capability to write to the bike's ECU. It sounds like a method of providing "authorized" maps to a second, separate, device which does the burning.

I wonder what the cost difference is between the TTS tuner and one of everything required from Technoreasearch to write the load; both systems using either a standard serial connector or USB. I realize this isn't apples:apples in a couple major aspects, just wondering "what's a complete Technoresearch entrance fee?"

Old 10-02-2008 | 03:55 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

eddfive

Where are you loacted?
As for the Ied's/Xied's, didn't work for me, as a matter of fact, after an upgraded OEM DL, the Xied's made it worse, so I offed the Xied's..

Old 10-02-2008 | 04:56 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

I am in Dallas Texas
Direct Link is as follows:
Delphi
USB Key to access software and lock to customer bike
ALDL conversion box to allow flashing of ECU
Cable from ALDL box to plug into Delphi ECU
RS232 Cable from computer to ALDL box
The USB keys list price for $279.00. I own the ALDL box and the cables so this is all the customer has to pay for plus the price of the custom tuning. For an individual to DIY and buy all of this stuff it would be along the lines of a TMAX( I do not know exact price). No data collection capability but there is a live engine parameter screen while bike is running. DL also has a AutoTuning feature for all the popular AFR probes out there(LC-1, DTT, AFM, etc.etc). This may not be suitable for those that want to DIY, but for a tuner with a Dyno it has all the features of SERT plus can autotune the VE tables if so desired. They do have a base list of calibrations that covers most applications. Most customers of mine are not DIY or are tired of DIY and like the idea of a custom tuned bike and they just have to hit the starter and go. They also realize that if they change air flow through the bike that I will be tuning it again.

M&M
RS232 Cable, Gender changer, M&M communication cable, No ALDL box needed

This is not meant to slam any other product or even sell my services, just pointing out what is working for me and my customers currently.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test