Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008 | 11:14 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Just want to say, after experiencing other forums and their narrow minded condescending attitudes, many with LDS, this one by far has to be the most knowledgeable, helping and funny at times, forum for this venue! If this site were run like the Hitler types at the other site, it wouldn't last long. Lots of good peeps here, with *****! Guess that would explain why their membership is so low! Some of us have had our moments here, especially when there was problems with the site, but no one treated you like a grade schooler and threatens you with their superiority power.
Thanks guys!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 09-30-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-30-2008 | 05:18 PM
mikeurig
Road Master

The area between the piston and head at top dead center.
http://www.geocities.com/reliopoulos.../3-12-p05.html

Old 10-01-2008 | 01:41 AM
CR
Advanced

Direct Link does not use the Delphi's ion sensing capability to adjust ignition timing. Thundermax is an Apha N system and does not have a TBW version, neither does the DTT system have a TBW version. I did not mean that piggy-back systems are Alpha N systems but just that I do not like them too. The Fuel Pack-like systems are way to unsophistictated for my taste (although they may be effective) and PCIII interacts with an ECM with a mind of its own, so nobody know exactly hat they are cooking up. Frankly I think the SERT would probably the best choice (TTS bieing a non-option in the Netherlands) if money is not the most important consideration, but there only a few good tuners around.
It remains a shame that HD does not go for a definitive solution, with maybe better placed intakes, a straighter manifold, MAF sensing, non-leaking exhausts with a decent collector and wide band sensors, while maintaining air cooling and character and 100 hp from 1800 cc's. Could it really be so much more expensive? In a few years time all bikes will have to comply to more severe emission regulations that will be checked periodically. Better be prepared for that!

Old 10-01-2008 | 07:56 AM
eddfive
Cruiser

Direct Link tunes just like SERT and does not change or alter the ion sensing system. If the ion sensing was working before the Direct Link tune it will work after. I have tuned many bikes with it and the Direct Link tunes exactly like SERT and the ion sensing does work fine. Direct Link tunes the FBW just like SERT as well. The only difference between SERT and Direct Link is the Direct Link tuning key is 1/2 the price, makes it even cheaper than a new PC3USB. Direct Link is not an addon device it tunes the actual Delphi ECU just like SERT.

Vosselman Performance is in the Netherlands and is a Direct Link tuner and dealer.

Old 10-01-2008 | 08:24 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
"squish" ?
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/squishcalc1.html

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:55 AM
CR
Advanced

@Eddfive. I read somewhere that Direct Link did not use the ion sensing capability of the ECM to adjust timing, but if it is true what you are saying it alters the equation. I know Vosselman, he has a good reputation of being proficient in a number of fuel mgt systems and would be one of the "few good tuners around". BTW I believe you can tinker around at home with the new SERT and the accompanying datalogging device I believe, is this also the case with Directlink?

Old 10-01-2008 | 10:58 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by CR
Direct Link does not use the Delphi's ion sensing capability to adjust ignition timing. Thundermax is an Apha N system and does not have a TBW version, neither does the DTT system have a TBW version. I did not mean that piggy-back systems are Alpha N systems but just that I do not like them too. The Fuel Pack-like systems are way to unsophistictated for my taste (although they may be effective) and PCIII interacts with an ECM with a mind of its own, so nobody know exactly hat they are cooking up. Frankly I think the SERT would probably the best choice (TTS bieing a non-option in the Netherlands) if money is not the most important consideration, but there only a few good tuners around.
It remains a shame that HD does not go for a definitive solution, with maybe better placed intakes, a straighter manifold, MAF sensing, non-leaking exhausts with a decent collector and wide band sensors, while maintaining air cooling and character and 100 hp from 1800 cc's. Could it really be so much more expensive? In a few years time all bikes will have to comply to more severe emission regulations that will be checked periodically. Better be prepared for that!
Why would you say this since we ship worldwide?

Old 10-01-2008 | 12:36 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

Direct link does not have the same capability as MasterTune or the new SEST 2.0 for data logging and adjusting VE tables. Direct Link would require something like a Daytona Twin Tec to log data. Talk to Gerrit at Vosselman, he uses all the tuners mentioned and can tell you about Direct Link. The ion sensing does work just fine.

Old 10-01-2008 | 02:29 PM
CR
Advanced

@stevecole
Shipping is not the issue, finding a good tuner who has invested time and effort and works with the system is. Up till I do not know of a tuner in the Netherlands who uses TTS

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:33 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

If you know of a tuner who can use a SERT, (s)he can use a TTS tuner exactly the same way. If you get one and tune the bulk of it yourself with the Vtune software included, the tuner will only have to do a small job polishing the finer points. Or they can use the Vtune software while tuning it from the start to cut the time down considerably.

eddfive, you said "Direct Link tunes just like SERT". All I could see of their software (it wouldn't run without the hardware key) makes it appear as though, while it does indeed inject some of the same values into the stock ECU as does the SERT/SEST/TTS, it doesn't appear to have nearly as many of the finer-grain adjustments available. So are you saying all the same adjustments are available or that it merely alters native programming variables in the same overall way?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test