Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008 | 02:23 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
You don't learn if you don't ask. What does "NB" mean?
nota bene
n : a Latin phrase (or its abbreviation) used to indicate that
special attention should be paid to something; "the
margins of his book were generously supplied with
pencilled NBs"

Old 09-29-2008 | 02:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Quick question on Stage 1 DL. Will the bike be a little rich without the AC mod?
Without the high-flow airbox, the DL would provide effectively richer mixture in the open-loop areas of operation. But those were already (presumably) rich-enough for anybody anyway.

During closed-loop too much fuel will initially be provided but will get pulled out in the end. As a result of that, depending on whether you want to believe the Adaptive Fuel system does things open-loop or not, it could well be that the newly-programmed more fuel there would bet pulled out, too. Maybe more, maybe less. That would depend on how much closed-loop area the high-flow airbox would affect.

Look at http://i36.tinypic.com/emv05.jpg where the left column is for all-stock and the right column is for high-flow airbox with slip-on mufflers on an 08 touring rig. The horns and tails on the left of the VE graphs are me making sure all four of those graphs had the colors synchronized.

I'll assume the right column is indicative of a typical "stage 1 download".

See the changes in the AFR and VE tables? (there are some in the spark timing tables, too)

Ponder it and shout if you have any questions.

Old 09-29-2008 | 03:12 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

glens, thanks for responding.

I ask because I'm having difficulties finding answers to my question/problem. Ping! I am getting absolutely no where with my stealer and HD. Ping has been with me at hard roll on since new and stock form. All I have is slip ons and NO AC. Will more fuel help reduce or eliminate my ping? I have tried the Xieds again, no change. Now I'm thinking maybe Stage 1 DL before jumping into a complete tuner. I'm thinking of the S1 DL over the TFI or Cobra. Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2008 | 03:22 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

This is a very common problem with stock bikes and especially after the volume of air is changed. Just adding fuel may or may not help pinging. Your best course of action is to find a good tuner and buy one of the many Delphi programmers. A good tuner will get the AFR/VE tables correct and also replace adjust the ignitions tables with something that will yield better performance and also will not ping. A Harley should not be ridden below 2500rpm and especially should not go WOT below 2500 rpm in any gear but 1st. Just because they now have six speeds does not mean you can nail the throttle at lower rpm's. Any bike will ping if the motor is "lugged" low enough.

Old 09-29-2008 | 03:28 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CR
I had the gasket job done on my 08 CVO and had a freeflow SEAC installed. The dyno showed more power but a much leaner AFR from 3500 rpm and up.
They put a higher-flow airbox on without managing the fuel change requirements and put it on a dyno?

Today I tested the bike on the motorway and much to my surprise it has gotten much slower, even to the point that there nust be something seriously wrong. In 6th gear the bike does not go past 4.000 which is equivalent to approx. 170 km/h, whereas before the SEAC it would run to 195 km/h given enough road.
You're moving more air at more-open throttle, thus more measured power. But the mixture is incorrect for that much airflow. The fuel being provided is the amount for the standard airbox (discounting for the moment any changes wrought as a result of using IEDs). It's too lean now.

In the low rpm range the bike seems faster, but that may be deceptive due to the extra noise of the open air filter (pipes sound a bit sharper though, so there actualy may sth better).
Inasmuch as the new airbox altered the airflow at all for low rpm ranges, the tune would be brought to "normal" by virtue of closed-loop operation. But it's been my experience that a "sharper" exhaust sound indicates leaner running. A more "muffled" sound indicates richer running.

Is there a way to detect whether knock retard has kicked in because of high speed knock, the control light does nog give any indication. Any suggestions or should I really start thinking about a fuel mgt system?
It'd be rather expensive to have just for datalogging, but you could pick up a TTS tuner and find out exactly where and how much spark was pulled. Then you could bump up the appropriate VE numbers a tad and/or pull a couple degrees of timing there. Heck, while you're at it, load a current base map and datalog a couple of rides to have the software autotune your VE tables for you! Oh, and if your speedometer is a couple percent off, you could adjust that, as well.

You can have a complete TTS tuning system at your door (in the US at any rate) for about $400. That ain't hardly expensive at all. Relative peanuts compared to initial outlay for the bike. With it, you can go from eating a blue-plate special to caviar for no additional charge whenever you ride your bike.

Old 09-29-2008 | 04:39 PM
CR
Advanced

The SEAC was put on without a fuel mgt system because of the hypothesis that the ECM would have enough "learning capability" to adapt to the increased volume of air that goes into the engine. While there are various indications that this might be the case for the 96 engine (S&S quick set-up kit, american iron articles, nightrider) there are quite a few contradictionary voices to be heard. Just to be sure I had the bike put on the dyno. The CVO ran very well with the XIED's (posted the dyno sheets to prove it), but for the 110 engine the XIED's are apparently not enough to accommodate the increased air-flow SEAC, and I will probably buy a directlink (no ion sensing however) or sert (not seen any TTS tuners in the Netherlands yet and do not like the Alpha N approach of Thundermax or the piggy back systems) What puzzles me however that you can get a power increase on the dyno while getting less performance on the road, so much for all the nice sheets.

Old 09-29-2008 | 07:46 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CR
The SEAC was put on without a fuel mgt system because of the hypothesis that the ECM would have enough "learning capability" to adapt to the increased volume of air that goes into the engine. While there are various indications that this might be the case for the 96 engine (S&S quick set-up kit, american iron articles, nightrider) there are quite a few contradictionary voices to be heard.
I would definitely listen to the "other" voices on this one. Those other other ones are wrong.

Just to be sure I had the bike put on the dyno.
Good for you. Now you know the truth of the matter. Congratulations!

The CVO ran very well with the XIED's ... but for the 110 engine the XIED's are apparently not enough to accommodate the increased air-flow SEAC
They don't do anything for an increased-airflow any package. At least nothing that's not almost totally indirect in origin. All they do is act as an external means of adjusting the Delphi's Closed Loop Bias tables all the same everywhere. Some of them stay within the limits of the O2 sensors (as indicated by warnings in the SERT and TTS software documentation) [the standard IEDs], and some of them go beyond.

and I will probably buy a directlink (no ion sensing however) or sert (not seen any TTS tuners in the Netherlands yet and do not like the Alpha N approach of Thundermax or the piggy back systems)
The directlink should not change anything in terms of ion sensing via the sparkplugs/coils. It merely is one method of adjusting some of the Delphi tuning tables. I fetched a copy of their software to see what all it would do, but it won't run without their USB key inserted into the computer so I couldn't make any determinations whatsoever. I highly doubt it's nearly as capable/comprehensive as the SERT or the TTS tuner which replaced it in the family.

The Daytona Twin-Tec TCFI replacement wide-band O2-using EMS uses the MAP sensor for load-based spark advance control, otherwise it's quite similar to the Thundermax which doesn't use load-based anything.

Any piggyback system, even if it uses Alpha-N-looking adjustment tables (i.e. PC-III) will be exactly as load-based as the system it's piggy-backing on. They piggyback only makes fixed adjustments to whatever the native system comes up with, however it does so.

What puzzles me however that you can get a power increase on the dyno while getting less performance on the road, so much for all the nice sheets.
You get the power increase because more air is being moved through the system. You didn't get well-usable power increase (maybe effectively a decrease) because the mixture isn't correct. Get it right and enjoy the fully-realized extra power. With the TTS you can tune a solid 90% of your riding style just using their software and special datalogs it creates for the purpose. Then, if you want, you can spring a few bucks for a dyno run to polish off the 100% throttle areas you can't do on your own without running carefully-controlled "dyno" datalogging runs with the TTS software (but you can do them manually if you have the inclination and adequate skill).

Old 09-29-2008 | 08:02 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by CR
NB stands for "Nota bene" which means as much as "take notice". As mentioned in my earlier post I had the gasket job done on my 08 CVO and had a freeflow SEAC installed. The dyno showed more power but a much leaner AFR from 3500 rpm and up. Today I tested the bike on the motorway and much to my surprise it has gotten much slower, even to the point that there nust be something seriously wrong. In 6th gear the bike does not go past 4.000 which is equivalent to approx. 170 km/h, whereas before the SEAC it would run to 195 km/h given enough road. In the low rpm range the bike seems faster, but that may be deceptive due to the extra noise of the open air filter (pipes sound a bit sharper though, so there actualy may sth better). Even with a bit leaner AFR the bke should run at least as fast as before shouldn't it. Is there a way to detect whether knock retard has kicked in because of high speed knock, the control light does nog give any indication. Any suggestions or should I really start thinking about a fuel mgt system?
Thank You...

Old 09-30-2008 | 04:07 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I just read in a mag which is at work that if there is not the correct squish area in the heads that a bike can ping also.

Old 09-30-2008 | 09:58 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

"squish" ?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test