Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008 | 10:41 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

The Cobra is another TFI.

Old 09-26-2008 | 03:56 PM
CR
Advanced

As promised. I had the dealer install SEAC on my 2008 CVO. Engine gave a errorcode (dealer could not read the code for some reason, but thought it might have something to do with the repair of the head gaskets and starting without fuel). Mechanic drove it around for 20 minutes and put it on the dyno. Engine produced 90,3 hp and 136,9 Nm vs. 80,9 hp and 124,7 Nm previously, which is a nice increase for a SEAC only (no slip-ons) NB both dyno-runs with XIED's. However from 3500 rpm's the engine starts to lean out compared to the pre SEAC situation, with a peak between 4.000 and 5.000 rpm where the AFR is above 15, which seems to lean to me (previously it stayed at 14 or lower at all rpm's). It might that the ECM has to learn a bit more or that it is just too much. On my way back I also noticed some slight deccel popping that was not there before. Of course since the heads and exhausts came off for the gasket repair I should also check for leaks in the exhaust tract, but for the moment I will not install new slip-ons because the bike might lean out even more. Furthermore the mechanic told me that a good fuel mgt system, which I am now seriously considering, might give an additional 5 hp so then I will have 95 hp and approx. 140+ Nm on a stock CVO with SEAC, who needs another exhaust?

Old 09-26-2008 | 04:59 PM
CR
Advanced

PS Dyno-sheets will follow as soon as I get the change to scan them. I just realized that there will probably no leaks since up to 3200 to 3500 rpm the AFR is the same as before the SEAC and the AFR leans only in "open loop".
During static tests on the dyno (as before they could not be printed) at 2000, 3000, 4000 and 5000 rpm the AFR was actually quite high (14,5-15,5) until the throttle was opened a bit more and the brake of the dyno came in then it sank under 14,5. On the road this would mean that while cruising at constant speeds and relatively light load the engine would be running at AFR 15 or higher. The mechanic who is used to trimming his PCIII at AFR of 13 told me that found that my bike runs less smoothly than the PCIII equiped engines, i.a.w. less drivability. On paper this seems strange since the dyno shows 120 NM at 2000 rpm and is almost flat at 130 Nm between 2500 and 5000 rpm.
The questions I have are: how much time does the ECM need to learn, are the results just on the lean side or too lean, what damage can occur at these AFR levels, would an AFR of 13,5 (which is to my knowledge a kind of optimum for max power) indeed generate 5 hp extra. Is there a fuel mgt system that only concerns itself with the open loop part? Which fuel system operates with wide band O2 sensors so I can tune the engine over the whole rpm range?

Old 09-26-2008 | 05:40 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for taking the time to test and report your findings. This is explained visually in http://i36.tinypic.com/emv05.jpg

Your new airbox can flow better everywhere but it's only effective for that in mainly (if not only) open-loop areas of operation. There's precious little the ECU can learn about it, thus "correct" for it. For these types of changes, include altering the type of exhaust plumbing, the only real option is dedicated programmability of some sort.

But, hey, if it seems to run fine, maybe that's enough for you.

Old 09-28-2008 | 11:31 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by CR
NB both dyno-runs with XIED's.
You don't learn if you don't ask. What does "NB" mean?

Old 09-28-2008 | 12:42 PM
HarleyDawg
Cruiser

I have about 1000 miles on my XIED's and have some concern about the oil have a strong smell of gasoline. I'm running Mobil V-twin 20-50 with the stock air cleaner and SEII slipon's. Oil level is at the full mark and the viscosity of the oil seems to be ok.

Should I be concern that the XIED's are making the bike run too rich? Should I change the air filter out to a high flow to lean the AFR out?

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by HarleyDawg; 09-28-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2008 | 03:05 PM
CR
Advanced

NB stands for "Nota bene" which means as much as "take notice". As mentioned in my earlier post I had the gasket job done on my 08 CVO and had a freeflow SEAC installed. The dyno showed more power but a much leaner AFR from 3500 rpm and up. Today I tested the bike on the motorway and much to my surprise it has gotten much slower, even to the point that there nust be something seriously wrong. In 6th gear the bike does not go past 4.000 which is equivalent to approx. 170 km/h, whereas before the SEAC it would run to 195 km/h given enough road. In the low rpm range the bike seems faster, but that may be deceptive due to the extra noise of the open air filter (pipes sound a bit sharper though, so there actualy may sth better). Even with a bit leaner AFR the bke should run at least as fast as before shouldn't it. Is there a way to detect whether knock retard has kicked in because of high speed knock, the control light does nog give any indication. Any suggestions or should I really start thinking about a fuel mgt system?

Old 09-29-2008 | 01:04 AM
RoadTramp113
Advanced
Default ied's, thundermax, efi mgt systems. warranty issues

My questions is what do any/all these do for your warranty? I have the 5 year / unlimited and don't want that screwed up, seeing as I'm shelling out hard-earned cash for it.

Old 09-29-2008 | 07:20 AM
frydaddy96
Cruiser

Harleydawg, you've got other problems, with the oil smelling like gas. The XIEDs wouldn't cause this even if it were running way to rich. Gas would have to be getting by the piston rings to get gas in the oil. I would say if its running the way you like don't change anything. Maybe get a compression test done to make sure the rings a OK.

Old 09-29-2008 | 11:14 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick question on Stage 1 DL. Will the bike be a little rich without the AC mod?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test