Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008 | 05:08 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

cruiser love them also the heavy breather kit the bike looks bada## i'll post a pic next week. want the black ones but.... didnot want to wait 3 months

Old 09-24-2008 | 09:35 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09fatbob
cruiser love them also the heavy breather kit the bike looks bada## i'll post a pic next week. want the black ones but.... didnot want to wait 3 months
Your taste is very similar to mine. I love that look with the Heavy Breather and the Big Radius.

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:24 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Default Cobra

Guys,i've just received an advertising email from Cobra about thier updated 2000 module.I know this is an ied thread(I use XIED's)But reading thier info. they say the 2000,is plug & play but only for 07 Dyna's(my bike),manufactured after October 06 & that up to Oct 06(with 96"Motors)required a download from the dealer to make it suitable for use with their module.I just got to thinking if this might be the reason for the occasional differring results, with Ied/Xied's,as thier Module is supposed to be plug & play as well.
Cheers,Brit.

Old 09-25-2008 | 07:45 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

The difference is in the ecu. There was a loader change and it handles the maps differently.

Old 09-25-2008 | 08:59 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Rider57
The difference is in the ecu. There was a loader change and it handles the maps differently.
Sorry Rider,I'm a bit dim with this stuff,I don't know what a loader change is,does this change have no affect on the Xied's?.
Thanks,Brit

Old 09-25-2008 | 09:33 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Picture the ECU as having three levels of memory

Level 1 Where the base code logic resides Normally this only changes when the manufacture finds a major hole in the base logic of the program. This level may be the same for all similar bikes in the company. This level would have to change when something like o2s are invented or drive by wire is added. Picture this level as the carb casting with all the holes in it but with none of the jets. Carbs are useless without jets.

Level 2 This is where most of the tables reside that change from one model of the bike to the next or where the tables that control fueling reside. This is the level that the SERT would access changing the tables that they allow you to change. Picture this level as the part that has all the jets and springs and all the other stuff you need to "dial in" and go into a carb. Jets are useless with a casting to screw into.

Level 3 is the part of the memory that is used just for the ECU to run and store information as you drive. Parts of this memory save when you turn off the bike (like how much fuel was added to get the o2s to average 0 fuel added) and others are lost when you power off the bike (like what the outside temp is) This is sort of like the differance of a carb laying on a table compared to one bolted to a running motor.

The boot loader is what allows (or locks you out) the laptop to gain access to the first two levels of the memory. Level 3 is where you see things like engine temp or RPM

Last edited by whittlebeast; 09-25-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-25-2008 | 10:42 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Tnbrit
Sorry Rider,I'm a bit dim with this stuff,I don't know what a loader change is,does this change have no affect on the Xied's?.
Thanks,Brit
Follow whittlebeast's post. It is pretty close. Close enough to count.

Old 09-25-2008 | 11:22 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Thanks Guys.So is the problem with the Cobra Module,that it's looking for a connection like a laptop would & can't connect on the pre Oct06' loader,but because the XIED's are not trying to enter the software they are not affected?.I think after reading Whittlebeasts excellent description it's now official i'm as thick as 2 short planks.!!
Cheers,Brit.

Old 09-25-2008 | 04:37 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to seriously consider the Thunder Max with Auto Tune! I have now decided this is the only way to go! No dyno time and ALWAYS stays adjusted/tuned for whatever is done!

Group buy anyone??

I'm in!

Old 09-25-2008 | 05:14 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Whittlebeast's explanation is correct. It can also be described another way.

The bike's computer basically endlessly runs a loop of tasks, very quickly. It checks a bunch of things then makes its decisions based on the combination of results it obtains each time through the loop, and acts accordingly.

For fueling it checks many things. Some of them are present engine conditions (represented by numbers), some of them are numbers fixed beforehand in its memory, (like Andy said, (some of) those stored things are things you can change with a SERT or similar device), and some of them are numbers representing certain conditions it has accumulated along the way and stored itself for later use. Anyway, it looks up all these numbers and combines them in a certain way to decide how much fuel to spray this time through the loop.

With what Rider said, it sounds like the way it uses the numbers (within the loop instructions) was changed, as opposed to just a change in some of the fixed numbers. And/or it may be a combination of both. I've heard that the early 06 closed-loop EFI didn't have the "Adaptive Fuel" (a form of autotuning) routines introduced later.

The Cobra DYNAGLIDE (2006) and DYNAGLIDE (2007) and DYNAGLIDE (2008) pages all show the same three options. One which doesn't interface with the O2 sensors and two that do, one of which is CARB certified. The 06 part number is different than that of the common part for both the 07 and 08 Dynas.

The manual for the 07/08 model says:

ATTENTION: All 2007 Harley DYNA models manufactured before NOVEMBER 1, 2006 require an ENGINE CONTROL MODULE CALIBRATION update from a Harley Davidson Dealer; please reference Harley Davidson SERVICE BULLETIN M-1186. This Fi2000R is meant to function on all 2007 DYNA models with this update and all 2007 DYNA models manufactured after this date which should already have this update installed, check with your local dealer for verification.
Both product manuals say:

It is recommended that a qualified mechanic or technician install this product.
So they're pretty much only relatively "plug and play".

I don't know exactly what they do or how they claim to do it. I seem to think that some research last year turned up common patent numbers between these, the Techlusion stuff, and its other derivatives.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test