Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008 | 06:34 PM
Pine Tree
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
OK, anyone here using the TFI?? What are your opinions??
Yes, I am using the TFI.

It installed in about 10 minutes on my stock '08 UC. As the instructions state, there are four pots that can be adjusted. After the bike has warmed, this takes another 5 minutes.

My bike starts easier, idles nicely, accelerates better, and does run a bit cooler with the TFI installed.

As a comparison, I removed the TFI and installed XIED's - for me, the difference was significant...the XIED's did just the opposite and I went back to the TFI.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-22-2008 | 11:30 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
My best mileage had been 45, mostly cruising and bone stock. Now I can easily use 6th gear around 50 MPH on a level road and it doesn't feel like it's lugging. In fact, I thought it was in 5th and went to upshift, found out was already there.
I bought an oxygen sensor removal tool from Autozone for $10. Mac Tools sells it for $30. It's a 7/8 socket that's slit on one side to clear the wire, and has an offset tab with an opening for a 1/2 in. drive. Front one was easy, clearance on the rear was a little tougher but not a problem, even for me. A mechanic buddy of mine told me just to tighten them up as you would a sparkplug. The sensors even came with anti-seize on the threads. I had downloaded the installation instructions from Zippers website to get familiar with the mechanical and computer steps ahead of time. I even downloaded the most recent software update from them, which they recommend.
Thanks Nevil for all the info.

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:17 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Cruiser, you must be a bear to work or live with unless nothing beyond the weather ever gets discussed.

Please quit climbing to some convenient high place to fling your mud down at me, and instead actually stick with the topics (many of which you brought up). If you don't understand the questions, please ask for clarification. Same with the answers. Nothing will ever get accomplished the way you're going about things.

I never hijacked this thread, nor tried to. At the point I first entered it I jumped squarely into the exact place the topic currently occupied. Look it up.

Your issue with me must be that I have repeatedly tried to show you just what fueling changes have become necessary from stock programming with your and my (the same) choice of breathing components; what-all the *IEDs actually do; and how the two don't completely coincide. My evidence has been plain and concise and you just don't like the necessary conclusions. I haven't been doing it in any attempt to show you up as stupid. Rather to assist you and everyone else in similar situations.

Furthermore, I'm not trying to discuss fuel management devices with you. Much rather fuel management itself and especially its requirement. That image I'd created clearly shows the changes which are deemed necessary as starting points when installing components such as ours, so it's exactly the opposite of "meaningless" (as you declared).

You have repeatedly maligned me both "face to face" and in backhanded ways. Even your latest pair of "truce" offers were immediately followed by your declaration that the best way to deal with me is to put me on ignore. What kind of peace is that supposed to bring about? I mean, it would be one thing for you to silently do it, or to privately state that sentiment to another. But publicly like that? It sure does not substantiate your declarations of truce/peace! How can it do anything other than squarely insult me? Even if that was not your intention, it sure doesn't "feel" peaceful on my end. So what we have is you saying one thing and doing another. Don't you see that?

The only trouble between us in this thread emanates from you. This has all been very public and anyone can see it. I'm not saying I've never fired back at you, just that I've never initiated attacks. Again, it's all been very public and anyone can plainly see that.

Case in point is last evenings volley. You since asked how I thought a person should react to having their statements mischaracterized like I inadvertently did to some of yours. How about instead of jumping down their throat, trying something like "You know, I think you're mistaken about that. Could you please refresh my memory?" Your action was instead so antagonistic it was nearly unbelievable. Especially from someone who, to just about anyone else, usually comes across in an almost too-sugary manner.

This thread has covered such diverse topics in the last several pages that it's almost not even evident just what the discussion is supposed to be about anymore. I have initiated none of it. Hell, you are responsible yourself for some of the wide diversion.

Maybe I had mentioned in passing earlier on in this thread how running oxygenated fuel causes the closed-loop systems to throw more fuel into the jugs. But there was nearly a full page of interaction between two folks about it, with you chiming in as well. Were was the cry for keeping the thread on track?

I just don't get it. You're saying "let's get along" yet you're actions are solidly the opposite.

I apologize for providing you the continued opportunity to act that way. Please forgive me.

Old 09-23-2008 | 01:22 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by nevil
BlockHead, you can't be more right. As you, cruiser, fatbob and others may remember I just couldn't my bike right with Fuelpak and XIEDs, despite good advice from you guys and lots of cooperation from Steve at Nightrider, as well as techs from V&H. Steve even sent me a set of XIEDs that he tested to replace mine. (I did test them and got battery voltage.) Nothing made much difference. Even 5 trips to 2 dealers with the bike bone stock didn't resolve the backfiring, popping and surging.
So, I just put in the ThunderMax w/AutoTune and I am blown away! Got it from shooter64. Still am 100 miles short of the 300 mile learning curve they recommend but 90% of my issues were corrected within the first 20 miles. I did a hundred mile ride yesterday and got 38 MPG and I was throttle happy. And it's way faster, more responsive, sounds better and behaves how you would expect it to. I feel like I should bring it back to stock (just kidding). WOW!
Nevil, did the T-Max come with a base map installed? all you did was plug her in, changed the o2's and went on your way?

I'm starting to believe that Harley is still a pretty $$hity company and not much has changed. What a shame. The dealers attitudes still represent Harleys attitude. They still continue to blow you off with their "I don't care" mentality and famous lip service. The MoCo is still arrogant! I gave them a try, but I've always lived by, once bit twice shy. I seriously doubt another HD is in the future. There are just to damn many good Metrics out there that will run how they should off the showroom floor! I still have have little faith in American business and products, except a GUN! Nobody can build a Gun better than the USA. But on the other hand, Harley isn't much American anymore, either! I find it pathetic that you spend $17K plus for a bike that is already over priced and another $K to make it run right. I'm sure HD has it's clowns following many forums out there and you would think they had the ability to figure it out by now! That in itself, speaks volumes about a Company!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 09-23-2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2008 | 06:06 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Nevil glad 2 hear it, all we really want is a great running bike !! unfortunately you had 2 spend more. I just put a heavy breather v&h Big RADIUS and the xieds WOW WOW WOW. this 09 fatbob runs like the wind so... hey blockhead it must depend what u get from harley don't know why but it should not matter. as i've stated before both pcIII and fuel pack give me decel popping and now i don't have it with these xieds. I have a bud that swears by the t max and his runs great 2 so good luck and ride on

Last edited by 09fatbob; 09-23-2008 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-23-2008 | 09:56 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pine Tree
Yes, I am using the TFI.

It installed in about 10 minutes on my stock '08 UC. As the instructions state, there are four pots that can be adjusted. After the bike has warmed, this takes another 5 minutes.

My bike starts easier, idles nicely, accelerates better, and does run a bit cooler with the TFI installed.

As a comparison, I removed the TFI and installed XIED's - for me, the difference was significant...the XIED's did just the opposite and I went back to the TFI.

Hope that helps!
I am curious about the TFI as well. I currently am using XIED's and I'm not happy with their performance and the poor fuel mileage. I have been thinking of the TFI from Techlusion. Have you had time to monitor the fuel mileage and tell whether there was a huge difference between the XIED's and the TFI? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-23-2008 | 11:37 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09fatbob
Nevil glad 2 hear it, all we really want is a great running bike !! unfortunately you had 2 spend more. I just put a heavy breather v&h Big RADIUS and the xieds WOW WOW WOW. this 09 fatbob runs like the wind so... hey blockhead it must depend what u get from harley don't know why but it should not matter. as i've stated before both pcIII and fuel pack give me decel popping and now i don't have it with these xieds. I have a bud that swears by the t max and his runs great 2 so good luck and ride on
How do you like those Big Radius exhaust? I have been looking at the Black Ceramic ones. I love the sound from what I have heard thus far.

Old 09-23-2008 | 12:19 PM
Pine Tree
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by TexasVet
...Have you had time to monitor the fuel mileage and tell whether there was a huge difference between the XIED's and the TFI?
The stock bike with no XIED or TFI would give, on average, 38 to 39 MPG's (mostly city driving).

With XIED, about 32 to 33 MPG's driving essentially the same route and conditions.

With the TFI, about 36 to 38 MPG's, again, driving the same route and under similar conditions.

Note: I have the TFI pot 1 set at about the "2:15" position. I can add more fuel but that does nothing for me except use more gas. The other three pot settings are as suggested in Dobeck's install instructions for a stock '08 UC with no AC or exhaust mods.

Hope that helps.

Old 09-23-2008 | 05:33 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Nevil, did the T-Max come with a base map installed? all you did was plug her in, changed the o2's and went on your way?

I'm starting to believe that Harley is still a pretty $$hity company and not much has changed. What a shame. The dealers attitudes still represent Harleys attitude. They still continue to blow you off with their "I don't care" mentality and famous lip service. The MoCo is still arrogant! I gave them a try, but I've always lived by, once bit twice shy. I seriously doubt another HD is in the future. There are just to damn many good Metrics out there that will run how they should off the showroom floor! I still have have little faith in American business and products, except a GUN! Nobody can build a Gun better than the USA. But on the other hand, Harley isn't much American anymore, either! I find it pathetic that you spend $17K plus for a bike that is already over priced and another $K to make it run right. I'm sure HD has it's clowns following many forums out there and you would think they had the ability to figure it out by now! That in itself, speaks volumes about a Company!
You have to install a base map from a list in the software. All you need is to come close to the type of mods you have. You then load that map and initialize the ECM by starting and idling for 10 secs. Once you start it up for good and run it, it warms up to operating temps, which you can tell because it will display engine guages to monitor (idle speed, temp, AFRs). Then ride and it starts learning. Takes about 300 miles to completely adjust, and I was told it's better to ride for 10 miles, shut off (which is when the learning occurs) and start up again.
With my Dyna, I had to modify the electrical caddy with a Dremel to make extra clearances, otherwise it was straight forward enough. Go to Zipper's website and you can download the installation process.
Yes, it is a crappy situation when we have to go through this to make the bike run the way it should. I don't know how much HD is to blame, they have to follow EPA guidelines, but maybe they could have spent a few more bucks, either for engine management or to make the bikes consistent. I think that the XIEDs and Fuelpak were not effective on MY bike, even though lots of people get great results. Some get no improvement, and I was one of them. I offered a buddy to try my XIEDs on his 07, and he turned me down, saying it ran so well he didn't want to touch it. He should know, he owns a few HDs.
I don't know if I would leave HD, they are of the corporate mentality. But the bikes have a feel and personality that is unique. It is what a motorcycle is to me. (However, I am an old fart). Of course, now that I have it performing like it is intended it's easier to say that. At least there are solutions for these issues. We have to decide individually how we want to deal with them.

Old 09-24-2008 | 12:05 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I hear ya, I too am an old fart! My wife tells me I expect to much! Hmmm, go figure.

You say " I don't know how much HD is to blame, they have to follow EPA guidelines, but maybe they could have spent a few more bucks, either for engine management or to make the bikes consistent." So do the Metrics, and they purr like a kitten and run and run and run ...... I honestly believe they don't really care all that much and it is what it is. Their profit margin is phenomenal I'm sure. To bad the public can't find out the cost of these like you can a car. They can't cost more than a few grand to build.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test