Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008 | 11:40 PM
heywood727
Road Master

I believe the 10% could be Ethanol. We have one major gas chain in Canada that uses up to 10% the corn based fuel in their mix. It's stated right on the pump. Mohawk.

Old 09-16-2008 | 11:56 AM
spmullen
Advanced

Sounds like that in addition to having to chase EPA regs for the engine, now there is extra chasing of regs for the fuel. No wonder people can get confused.

Old 09-16-2008 | 12:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Yes, it can be Ethanol but it can also be other things so I just called it a "mix". The point I'm trying to make is by adding a "mix" the stoich AFR changes. This will change the way things run and an air cooled motor shows it quicker than a water cooled motor. It effects the running of the engine and the cooling of the engine. Now anyone wonder why things are the way they are?

Old 09-16-2008 | 02:01 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Steve; I see the light you are shining. I think I like using the term fuel "mix". Straightforward and simple. I agree with you 100% on the effects of changing the mix. No doubt the fuel mix can have an impact on the AFR on any engine. There are many ways it can effect an air cooled engine for increased detonation potential and negatively impact cooling. These are points I understand.

Old 09-17-2008 | 01:25 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Mr. Mullen...you have mail.

Old 09-18-2008 | 12:43 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by heywood727
Mr. Mullen...you have mail.
Heywood, what duals are you running on your RG? How do you like them?

Old 09-18-2008 | 07:48 AM
tomahauck
Novice

Hi TexasVet,
I have V&H TD's and V&H Oval Slip ons With SE AC and Stage 1 download, Since I've put on the XIEDs I couldn't be happier, Bike runs great and much cooler, I haven't checked mileage yet but the plugs have nice color. I've also switched to Royal Purple Cycle Max 20w50 wich also helped cool it down. I hope you get the same results with your set up.

Tom
U.S. Army B. Co. 701st Maint. Btn. 1977-1979
Originally Posted by TexasVet
I just put the duals on this weekend, but with Ike, I haven't had a chance to take the scoot for a ride with all the rain and winds coming into the DFW area. I'm a little apprehensive due to not knowing whether the XIED's will take care of the fuel management area or not. Will have to take the bike out to see if it's running too lean or not.

Thanks for the words of appreciation.

Old 09-18-2008 | 01:20 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

Tom,

Thanks for the input. I'm running the bike right now with the TD's & XIED's. Seems to be running fine and I get absolutely zero popping like I did with the cross-over. I currently am using Amsoil in the motor and have an oil cooler. The main reason for the change-over was due to the wife and the darn hot cross-over pipe. She's in heaven now not have to keep moving her right foot away from the pipe. The XIED's and any other enrichment device ie..power commander, never really cooled the pipe enough to keep her from getting slight burning of her leg.

Corey

Old 09-18-2008 | 07:55 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Hey Cruiser. They are the Bub 7's. They keep getting better all the time. I really like them. Too many V&H Ovals and Rineharts around. Mine's the only Bub 7 around and they draw alot of attention because they have a different bark. I can run them quiet, but when I get into it... They are very loud. Nice on the highway as well IMO.

Now that I've switched to VIED's, I get to play a little with balancing them out. Some have said not to run them at different value's, but it has been working out well for me. Minor adjustment, just to see how it will react. Right now I have it at 14.0 front and 13.8 rear.
Lightened up the soot alittle from the front cylinder. Seems even with the rear now after a 300 mile test run. I still haven't touched the FP since V&H sent me a map to replace the dealer Rinehart inspired base.

Running the VIED's on the sportster at 14.2 and 14.1 respectfuly with some nice general feed back from the bike and "The Dragon" (j/k... wife, but that's what I call her. She's use to it.)

Old 09-18-2008 | 10:32 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Smile

Originally Posted by heywood727
Hey Cruiser. They are the Bub 7's. They keep getting better all the time. I really like them. Too many V&H Ovals and Rineharts around. Mine's the only Bub 7 around and they draw alot of attention because they have a different bark. I can run them quiet, but when I get into it... They are very loud. Nice on the highway as well IMO.

Now that I've switched to VIED's, I get to play a little with balancing them out. Some have said not to run them at different value's, but it has been working out well for me. Minor adjustment, just to see how it will react. Right now I have it at 14.0 front and 13.8 rear.
Lightened up the soot alittle from the front cylinder. Seems even with the rear now after a 300 mile test run. I still haven't touched the FP since V&H sent me a map to replace the dealer Rinehart inspired base.

Running the VIED's on the sportster at 14.2 and 14.1 respectfuly with some nice general feed back from the bike and "The Dragon" (j/k... wife, but that's what I call her. She's use to it.)
Thanks Heywood. I'd love to hear a good sound file if you have a chance.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test