Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 06:44 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Steve;
I think we are thinking the same thing, but talking from two different directions. Yes, the O2 sensor only measures the the free O2 in the exhaust. I am familiar with discussions about the level of oxygenation agents in the fuel and the variations that exist. But you are the first one I have ever hear mention a "14.2 Stoich" fuel. You aren't talking about the specific gravity of the fuel, are you?
Can you enlighten me to were I can find more documentation on this? Who is currently publishing research on this right now?

Old 09-14-2008 | 07:07 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

maybe dumm question - bit i just heard of the X14IED's... is the fuel savings that much more from the XIED;s ? I read AFT is 14.1 for the X14IED's vs 13.8 for the XIED's.

also Moco says to use min 91 Octane - would using the 94 octance have anything to do to make it run richer ?

Old 09-15-2008 | 01:05 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Is 94 available North of the border?? If so, kiss it good bye in 2010. I think I may experiment with 100LL and see how things feel.

Old 09-15-2008 | 05:27 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RAWHIDE07
glens, ... why are you constantly attacking cruiser?
That post was by no means any form of an attack on anyone. I addressed it to cruiser because he's running those parts on his bike and I wanted him to be able to see how a base map for them differs from a stock base map. I figured that after a thousand words a picture might better illustrate the idea.

He has tried to make peace with you a few times but you will have none of it.This makes you look like a bully.
Yes, he has. At least since his latest attempt he has not subsequently (so far as I know; I haven't yet read anything after your post I'm responding to, yet) backhanded me while addressing someone else. Other than that particular, repeated action on his part I harbor no ill will towards him. This should be evident by my continually trying to help him understand this stuff. I guess if that makes me a bully then the definition of that word must have changed some time in the past several years and I'm behind the times.

I have never met anyone on this forum in person that I know of and would never constantly challenge everyone I meet in person on their statements.
Then you and I have some things in common. If I'm discussing something with someone and my information is different than theirs, I research further and discuss some more, wanting to be on the same page as them. Don't you do that?

And whats up with the "HI folks.I love you all ,too."?Is this your attempt at humour?
Yeah. I'd been away from the site for a few days and upon my return saw several non-love comments about me.

I won't tolerate rude behavior in a man.By the way if you want to attack and target me ,go ahead I've got big shoulders and will easily handle anything you can dish out.
If that's what you want I guess I could try; but can't promise you any satisfaction. All you have to do is take the first offensive maneuver to set things in motion. It's especially effective if I've been trying to help you understand something you evidently didn't and you then take indirect jabs at me.

Old 09-15-2008 | 07:39 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default cams / ied testing

Originally Posted by 08 Roadglide
Rider,
Never did see you discuss the cam testing you were doing for use with the IEDs? Any updates?
The cam test were done with 7 different cams, H_D and aftermarket.
Everything came out pretty much normal, a few extra hp here and there.

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:23 AM
SlickTX
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spmullen
All X14iED's are labeled with a "XIED V10-11.5K" tag on the actual device. They had been shipped using the XiED inserts, but with an "X14iED" sticker on the clear bag. New Green inserts should be showing up on all new X14iED orders.
No sticker on the plastic bag that I received. I do recall the label with the "XIED V10-11.5K" notation, so I did receive what I ordered.

Thanks for a great product.

Old 09-15-2008 | 10:48 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by spmullen
Steve;
I think we are thinking the same thing, but talking from two different directions. Yes, the O2 sensor only measures the the free O2 in the exhaust. I am familiar with discussions about the level of oxygenation agents in the fuel and the variations that exist. But you are the first one I have ever hear mention a "14.2 Stoich" fuel. You aren't talking about the specific gravity of the fuel, are you?
Can you enlighten me to were I can find more documentation on this? Who is currently publishing research on this right now?
The documentation is not public information at this time, but more should be coming in SAE papers. As the fuel suppliers change the fuel for government required changes the stoich value is different. This will become more and more of an issue in air cooled motors and the ones that do not have closed loop systems are really going to see it. Heat is the big issue in an air cooled motor and a HD is borderline at best (heat wise) to start with at low speed. As the mixture of the fuels changes along with rider installed options, changes will need to be made.

Old 09-15-2008 | 06:44 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Steve, does this also have something to do with the new regulations allowing imported fuel coming in from Mexico. I found some information on this falling into this "14.2" area. I also understand this is expected to cause a lot of "detonation" issues on air cooled engines because of an expected RON of 87.

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:26 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

I wish it were only that but no it's already out there in the US. I'm trying to get a handle on all the changes coming and when they are coming but the simple fact is that some are already here. If you look at the pump in your area see what it says on it. Some will clearly show that they contain something other than gasoline alone. The level and what they contain seems to change around the US but the range of the fuel is going to suck event if the RON level is still 93. Out here in CA the best we can buy is RON 91 and most of it has 10% mix in it now. When you get out of the country the mix get event higher. Brazil uses a 25% mix most of the time and from what I hear it going higher in some places as oil prices climb. The mix is what's screwing with the fuel calibrations.

Old 09-15-2008 | 10:20 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by glens
That post was by no means any form of an attack on anyone. I addressed it to cruiser because he's running those parts on his bike and I wanted him to be able to see how a base map for them differs from a stock base map. I figured that after a thousand words a picture might better illustrate the idea.

Yes, he has. At least since his latest attempt he has not subsequently (so far as I know; I haven't yet read anything after your post I'm responding to, yet) backhanded me while addressing someone else. Other than that particular, repeated action on his part I harbor no ill will towards him. This should be evident by my continually trying to help him understand this stuff. I guess if that makes me a bully then the definition of that word must have changed some time in the past several years and I'm behind the times.

Then you and I have some things in common. If I'm discussing something with someone and my information is different than theirs, I research further and discuss some more, wanting to be on the same page as them. Don't you do that?

Yeah. I'd been away from the site for a few days and upon my return saw several non-love comments about me.

If that's what you want I guess I could try; but can't promise you any satisfaction. All you have to do is take the first offensive maneuver to set things in motion. It's especially effective if I've been trying to help you understand something you evidently didn't and you then take indirect jabs at me.
No,I understand very well,it's just this HATFIELD&Mcoy feud thing that is getting very old and tiresome.We may very well have some things in common.I won't take indirect jabs at anyone.Don't believe in it. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test