Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008 | 10:12 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasVet
Absolutely: 34462-08C/DT

I had problems with my bike since I owned it from the dealer. I had poor fuel mileage, 37 was the best on the hwy, and poor power on the hwy. After the download, the mileage jumped up to the low 40's and the power seemed to be dramatically improved.

I waited for the one problem to be resolved before I removed the stock exhaust and place on true duals.
Texas Vet, how do you like your True Duals?

Just like to say Thank You for protecting our Freedom.

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:13 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

I just put the duals on this weekend, but with Ike, I haven't had a chance to take the scoot for a ride with all the rain and winds coming into the DFW area. I'm a little apprehensive due to not knowing whether the XIED's will take care of the fuel management area or not. Will have to take the bike out to see if it's running too lean or not.

Thanks for the words of appreciation.

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Texas Vet, how do you like your True Duals?

Just like to say Thank You for protecting our Freedom.

Old 09-13-2008 | 11:26 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasVet
Absolutely: 34462-08C/DT

I had problems with my bike since I owned it from the dealer. I had poor fuel mileage, 37 was the best on the hwy, and poor power on the hwy. After the download, the mileage jumped up to the low 40's and the power seemed to be dramatically improved.

I waited for the one problem to be resolved before I removed the stock exhaust and place on true duals.

So the DL # for the Stage 1 Download is the 34462-08/DT and not the DL # I provided! The # I provided is an OEM upgrade DL, not a S1, according to your numbers. My mileage also sucks, anywhere fron 37-43 being the best.

Thanks

Last edited by BlockHead96; 09-13-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2008 | 11:29 PM
08 Roadglide
6th Gear

Rider,
Never did see you discuss the cam testing you were doing for use with the IEDs? Any updates?

Old 09-14-2008 | 08:32 AM
TexasVet
Tourer

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
So the DL # for the Stage 1 Download is the 34462-08/DT and not the DL # I provided! The # I provided is an OEM upgrade DL, not a S1, according to your numbers. My mileage also sucks, anywhere fron 37-43 being the best.

Thanks
I don't know what the original download was in the bike. The bike was done with the stage 1 when I purchased it and never knew which download the bike had in ecm. When I took it in for service I complained of the areas that I had mentioned. The service writer was telling me there was nothing they could do for the mileage plus I also had a diagnostics code of po444 that would come back whenever I tried to clear it. After the download, I don't have any stored codes and all of my issues that were with the bike are now gone.

Old 09-14-2008 | 10:46 AM
SlickTX
Intermediate

I received my XIED's on Friday evening. I ordered the X14IED's but there was nothing on in the package, on the 1 page instructions or on the harness itself to indicate that I got the X14's. The instructions said XIED so I'm not really sure which one I received. Installed them on Saturday morning but couldn't ride because a little storm named Ike was paying us a visit. I did start the bike in the garage and I noticed a lower (maybe louder?) exhaust sound.

2008 Street Glide
Stage I (air breather, V&H oval slip-ons and Stage I download)
1,500 miles on the clock
93 octane fuel

I finally was able to ride a 50 mile loop this morning, with more to come later today. I've ready many, many posts about this product, including giving you whiter teeth and fresher breath. My experience on this short ride indicates that the heat issue has been completely solved. I also may have more power. Hard to tell without before and after dyno runs, but I notice that I need less throttle to get rolling from a stop. I also noticed that I get up to highway speeds of 70 mph or more much quicker than I am accustomed to. Idle also seems to be a bit lower, maybe 50-75 rpm or so.

My decel popping did not change so I think I'll take a look for exhaust leaks. Can't report on any changes in fuel mileage but I do keep a log so I'll look for trends in the future.

All in all I'm a happy camper.

Last edited by SlickTX; 09-15-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2008 | 12:16 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

If you have a Stage 1 DL already, you shouldn't be having decel popping! Like you said, check for leaks and tighten the bolts, should be 15'lbs. if I recall. If it continues, I would take it back to the dealer who did the DL.

Old 09-14-2008 | 12:31 PM
spmullen
Advanced

All X14iED's are labeled with a "XIED V10-11.5K" tag on the actual device. They had been shipped using the XiED inserts, but with an "X14iED" sticker on the clear bag. New Green inserts should be showing up on all new X14iED orders.

Old 09-14-2008 | 01:16 PM
spmullen
Advanced

While I agree with Steve Cole that the effective stoichiometric ratio of the fuel can vary in different parts of the country and from season to season, in my opinion it is not getting "richer" as he indicated. I believe that EPA has mandated that the gasoline companies find ways to increase ways to increase the oxygenators in the fuels, which are going to tend to effectively "lean" out the fuel and keep down emissions.

Old 09-14-2008 | 05:39 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Since the fuel already carries the oxygen with it is why it has to be run richer. Remember the Stoich value is the place the fuel being used wants to be for best output. So if you setup for an AFR of 14.6 and use a 14.2 fuel it will be very lean due to the math that goes on. The O2 sensor only measures free oxygen in the exhaust not AFR!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test