Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:35 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

It's obvious that the MoCo still has issues it needs to work out, you would think that by now, they would have figured it out!

LoMax is correct in that you can't roll it on hard all at once, even as I have stated too. A slower roll on is in order to prevent ping. As for the Exides and ping, when I had them on, there was no difference , better or worse, ping was still there in it's usual amount.

Old 09-10-2008 | 09:40 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

EFI should be flawless and seamless at any RPM and any throttle position. There is no excuse for any stock EFI motor to detonate hard with fresh/quality/speced fuel.

Andy

Last edited by whittlebeast; 09-11-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2008 | 07:43 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I think we will be seeing some changes in the ecu in 2010 if they select the supplied system that is on a bike submitted for epa testing.

Old 09-11-2008 | 10:37 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
EFI should be flawless and seamless at any RPM and any throttle position. There is no excuse for any stock EFI motor to detonate hard with fresh/quality/speced fuel.

Andy
You would think and in a perfect world! I believe they miss the mark, because they can! The bottom line is, the bottom line! Push it out the door for the cheapest manufacturing cost as possible at the highest possible profit margin.

Old 09-11-2008 | 10:47 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider57
I think we will be seeing some changes in the ecu in 2010 if they select the supplied system that is on a bike submitted for epa testing.
With these next most stringent round of EPA standards coming in 2010, we may see changes we weren't even expecting! This round is about as far as the current technology can take us, only for now, till the EnvironMENTALS think up some other smoke and mirror regulations. The excuse is the environment, but the bottom line is the $$! Don't be surprised when we have emissions testing for Diesels, Motorcycles and anything else with piston power!

Old 09-11-2008 | 04:52 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Your Welcome...
Well I’m back with an update. Had it to the dealer again and they tightened an exhaust flange, installed new muffler clamps. Still backfired, so I had the factory service rep ride it and he could not get it to backfire, despite specific instructions, and he said it rode fine for 10 miles. Dealer tech said to call HD customer service. The HD tech gave a short speech that my bike was a lean running, EPA compliant vehicle and that what I was getting (backfire, decal pop, surge) was NORMAL. (should I be relieved or mad?) But he suggested the dealer check the fuel pressure, which checked out OK, as well as TPS.
I spoke to Jamie at Fuel Moto and he also said that it seemed normal to him based on his experiences with similar bikes. He assured me that a PC ($279) will resolve the issues, and that Xieds have caused problems with ECUs. A highly recommended local tuner said to go with a PC ($450 installed) that he maps, and dyno tune ($350). Plus I might have him install the pipes and a/c so there would be no blaming me if it’s screwed up. Just spend the bucks and be done.
Or I can re-install my Xieds, pipes, a/c, FuelPak one at a time, riding 100 miles or so between. If after all this, if this is how the bike runs, even with the mods, then I probably should consider another tuner and a dyno. Or live with it. I could buy a PC, install it and have it dynoed. I would give up the xieds, of course. I just want it to run as well as possible. What would you do?

Old 09-11-2008 | 05:16 PM
spmullen
Advanced

There are proven technologies available today that could easily put the joy back in riding despite the EPA mandates. The constraints are not in the lack of available automotive technologies or caused by existing environmental legislation, but in what Harley riders will accept from the MOCO as an acceptable successor to the current bikes as a true American V-Twin. Harley's customer base and business model are the biggest issue.
The V-Rod has already proven that MOCO (with a little outside help) can produce a nice running water cooled V-twin that the everyone in the motorcycling world except Harley traditionalists seem to (mostly) appreciate. So while the V-Rod could probably be considered an engineering success, it has been a non-event from a marketing perspective.
So HD's long term future is very dependent upon how its customer base accepts the new water cooled bikes.

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:09 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
Well I’m back with an update. Had it to the dealer again and they tightened an exhaust flange, installed new muffler clamps. Still backfired, so I had the factory service rep ride it and he could not get it to backfire, despite specific instructions, and he said it rode fine for 10 miles. Dealer tech said to call HD customer service. The HD tech gave a short speech that my bike was a lean running, EPA compliant vehicle and that what I was getting (backfire, decal pop, surge) was NORMAL. (should I be relieved or mad?) But he suggested the dealer check the fuel pressure, which checked out OK, as well as TPS.
I spoke to Jamie at Fuel Moto and he also said that it seemed normal to him based on his experiences with similar bikes. He assured me that a PC ($279) will resolve the issues, and that Xieds have caused problems with ECUs. A highly recommended local tuner said to go with a PC ($450 installed) that he maps, and dyno tune ($350). Plus I might have him install the pipes and a/c so there would be no blaming me if it’s screwed up. Just spend the bucks and be done.
Or I can re-install my Xieds, pipes, a/c, FuelPak one at a time, riding 100 miles or so between. If after all this, if this is how the bike runs, even with the mods, then I probably should consider another tuner and a dyno. Or live with it. I could buy a PC, install it and have it dynoed. I would give up the xieds, of course. I just want it to run as well as possible. What would you do?
Nevil, being you spent the money on the fuel pack and XIED, I would try them one last time as you suggested for your last option. That is if you don't mind spending the time. Just a thought. If you have a friend who has an 07 or 08 HD try your XIED's on his Bike and see if they make any difference. If you try this and see no difference I would stop right there.

If you decide to go with another tuner I would buy the SERT or the TTS.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 09-12-2008 | 04:36 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member

cruiser that sounds pretty darn good at 14.2 just keep your eye on your plugs but i think you will be fine.and going to help alot of people .great job

Old 09-12-2008 | 05:32 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

nevil, have you checked the xieds to make sure they are working properly? the test is on nightriders site.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test