Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008 | 08:53 PM
Your mama
Novice

Anyhoo... I'm attempting to make my own IED's. Anyone make their own? How'd they work?

My local radio shack had several different types of resistors in the 10k and 22k ohm resistance, but the watts were different, (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 watt.)

Which watt value is the right one?

Old 08-31-2008 | 09:27 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by sandpa
Cruiser85257, Fuelmoto uses their design balles with a high quality material and new Rush mufflers, the left is 1.75 and deflected or restricted and the right is 2.00. This makes a simulated 2 in 1 setup using the oem headpipes. The dyno data is very impressive on med to low in torque.Go to their web sit or call them for more info. I just wanted something different, everybody around here runs reg. Rush or Rineharts. But thanks to you i found the xieds. THANKS!!!!!
Your welcome.

How do you like the way your Fuel Moto exhaust sounds?

Old 09-01-2008 | 01:32 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

What exactally does the Stage 1 Download do? What does it change, beside the rev limit? Anyone really know, because HD will not tell you and it will be within EPA guidlines.

Old 09-01-2008 | 02:08 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Your mama
Anyhoo... I'm attempting to make my own IED's. Anyone make their own? How'd they work?

My local radio shack had several different types of resistors in the 10k and 22k ohm resistance, but the watts were different, (1/8, 1/4, 1/2 watt.)

Which watt value is the right one?
For a standard ied you'll need 10K and 20K (not 22K). For a 20K just run a couple 10K's in series. 1/8 or 1/4 watt will work.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; 09-01-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 09-01-2008 | 08:47 AM
sandpa
Cruiser

Cruiser85257, I love the sound of the Fuelmotos, they may be a little throttier than Rush. I can always use different Rush baffles if I want to, but I don't ever see me doing that. I like just what I have.

Old 09-01-2008 | 09:53 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Went to Thunder in the Rockies this Laborday weekend. A vendor there was selling the IED, XiED and had some ViED's. He sold out on the 1st day!

Old 09-01-2008 | 02:58 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rider57
Went to Thunder in the Rockies this Laborday weekend. A vendor there was selling the IED, XiED and had some ViED's. He sold out on the 1st day!
Imagine that!!!

Glad to see you made it home OK. We had one of the most severe storms I have ever seen out here about a half hour after you left. Huge trees were snapped like twigs, and the lake next door in the park over flowed and turned into a raging river.

Old 09-01-2008 | 03:05 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
What exactally does the Stage 1 Download do? What does it change, beside the rev limit? Anyone really know, because HD will not tell you and it will be within EPA guidlines.
Blockhead that is the 64,000 dollar question and a very good question to ask.

I have five dealers in my area and I have never received the same answer twice from any one Tech when asked what it will do. With the exception of it raises your rev limiter. I've had Techs tell me it lowers your AFR, which I tend to discard as real information because as you have pointed out the EPA is definitely involved.

Rider57 works for the EPA and has performed tests on Motors that have had the stage One download. He would be one of the best people to comment on it.

Old 09-01-2008 | 05:48 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

If Rider57 has not performed those tests on bikes with both the download and all the appropriate breathing parts associated with it, those test would be entirely meaningless.

Your and sandpa's outfits are not as similar as you're thinking they are. You have not only a K&N filter element (which is all he has) but you have an entirely different airbox assembly, with entirely different flow characteristics. What he has is essentially a stock intake system with a really clean filter. You have a different intake system with different-from-programmed dynamics. As questionable as the XIEDs are, in and of themselves, they would be way more appropriate for him than you.

What does the "stage one download" do beside raise the rev limiter? It's obvious. It also alters the fueling and spark timing to suit the particular breathing parts it was made for. Those different parts require different EFI mapping, even it if is only to maintain EPA certification in the end. If you have non-H-D parts, you can be certain there will be no download available for you which will be entirely appropriate anyway.

The current EPA regs aren't really all that terrible. Sure, the engine runs a bit hotter than most of us would care for, but it's also saving us some fuel. If we avoid idling around town, from stoplight to stoplight, we really should want the currently-proper factory tune anyway! Granted, there are manufacturing tolerances in the sensors and engine components which might combine to cause corner-cases of sub-optimal operation. I'm not denying that possibility.

The main thing the downloads provide for, again, when used properly (with the correct associated parts) is that the EFI system will remain "centered" in all its functions. When the EFI system is used inappropriately (parts it's not programmed for) it will perhaps work somewhat okay anyway, but it will not have all the "elbow room" it should have, and that's enough in itself for me to say "no, thanks" to using it that way.

Old 09-01-2008 | 06:24 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

glens,

"What does the "stage one download" do beside raise the rev limiter? It's obvious. It also alters the fueling and spark timing to suit the particular breathing parts it was made for. Those different parts require different EFI mapping, even it if is only to maintain EPA certification in the end. If you have non-H-D parts, you can be certain there will be no download available for you which will be entirely appropriate anyway."

We don't or didn't know what it does, because the Tech's and dealer I talk with, don't know themselves what it does! Not once are they able to tell me what DL does what, in fact, the clowns here won't even let you talk to a tech! So, does a Stage 1 really change fueling and timing? Because in all this time, that is the first time I have heard this!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test