Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 12:12 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by yso191
As requested, the dyno chart I mentioned previously is posted in my album (yso191's)

Steve
Looking at your chart,the hp seems to be chopped off @ 5500rpm which is the rev limiter kicking in and leads me to believe the HD stage 1 download which raises the limit to 6250rpm may very well be worth the money when combined with the proper slipon/ac combination.I'd love to see a before& after chart which included the xied's and the stage 1 download.Thanks yso.

Old 08-29-2008 | 01:43 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay, I'm looking at https://www.hdforums.com/forum/pictu...pictureid=5154 and see what looks like an 8% average increase in fuel in one run compared to the other. But wait, i thought the IEDs didn't add any fuel while open-loop! At least that's what I was told when I described the method used by the EFI which would cause more fuel everywhere. I'll assume the dyno pulls were made in 4th or 5th gear at WOT. I find it difficult to understand how the second run, presumably with the XIEDs, shows less fuel, though. Unless maybe the run with them actually caused a decrease in HP/Torque...

Here's some quick math: $100 XIEDs, $150 "stage 1 download", for $250 total.
$280 for Power Commander with O2 eliminators. With it, you can also raise the rev limiter to 6200 as well as adjust both the fuel delivery and the spark timing. Hmm. Which would be the better almost-300-dollars spent? How about adding another hundred and get the TTS tuner? With it, you can do all that and more, as well as use the tuning software to custom-tune your engine yourself; no dyno really necessary.

Last edited by glens; 08-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2008 | 05:36 PM
aal
Cruiser

glens, good point about the wot. I'd think maybe the dyno wouldn't even reflect the xied then.

Old 08-29-2008 | 06:38 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

There are other factors involved in why one dyno pull will read different from another, but the *IEDs do affect WOT because of the way our EFI works.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:11 PM
RoadTramp113
Advanced
Talking

$280 for Power Commander with O2 eliminators. With it, you can also raise the rev limiter to 6200 as well as adjust both the fuel delivery and the spark timing. Hmm. Which would be the better almost-300-dollars spent? How about adding another hundred and get the TTS tuner? With it, you can do all that and more, as well as use the tuning software to custom-tune your engine yourself; no dyno really necessary

OK, how about something that does NOT require special MAPS, computer hookups and dyno time?
1/ Dont' have a laptop to connect to the bike
2/ Nearest stealer is too far and don't like their reputation; not to mention I'll stil have a lean running bike.
3/ Just want something that's bolt-on, no muss, no fuss...just seems like the ied's or their equivelant (Cobra 2000), are the way to go.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:25 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by roadtramp113
here's some quick math: $100 xieds, $150 "stage 1 download", for $250 total.
$280 for power commander with o2 eliminators. With it, you can also raise the rev limiter to 6200 as well as adjust both the fuel delivery and the spark timing. Hmm. Which would be the better almost-300-dollars spent? How about adding another hundred and get the tts tuner? With it, you can do all that and more, as well as use the tuning software to custom-tune your engine yourself; no dyno really necessary

ok, how about something that does not require special maps, computer hookups and dyno time?
1/ dont' have a laptop to connect to the bike
2/ nearest stealer is too far and don't like their reputation; not to mention i'll stil have a lean running bike.
3/ just want something that's bolt-on, no muss, no fuss...just seems like the ied's or their equivelant (cobra 2000), are the way to go.
good point!

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:53 PM
MindfulRider
6th Gear
Default So much choice!

It's great, there is a solution for every level of budget and every level of desired or possible "involvement". Try A, if it doesn't work for you, there's always B. Gotta love competition and ingenuity!

Old 08-30-2008 | 07:48 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RoadTramp113
$280 for Power Commander with O2 eliminators. With it, you can also raise the rev limiter to 6200 as well as adjust both the fuel delivery and the spark timing. Hmm. Which would be the better almost-300-dollars spent? How about adding another hundred and get the TTS tuner? With it, you can do all that and more, as well as use the tuning software to custom-tune your engine yourself; no dyno really necessary

OK, how about something that does NOT require special MAPS, computer hookups and dyno time?
The EFI uses maps. If you want to properly change the fueling to match a configuration different from factory you'll need to somehow use a different map. Whether in the bike's computer or alongside/after it. You may very well get away without any dyno time if you're satisfied with "close enough."
A pretty capable laptop can be gotten for just a few hundred dollars and they have utility beyond connecting to a motorcycle. But unless you're at the public library or something, you evidently have a computer, and that's all you need. If you had to set it up in the garage one time to initialize a Power Commander or something, it wouldn't necessarily be the end of the world.
2/ Nearest stealer is too far and don't like their reputation; not to mention I'll stil have a lean running bike.
That's if you go with a standard "download" or the dealer is conscious of their duties regarding EPA mandates. Even though it will be running lean, it'll not be too lean in any event, just probably leaner than you would prefer. Assuming you have the correct breathing parts for the EFI programming, at any rate.
3/ Just want something that's bolt-on, no muss, no fuss...just seems like the ied's or their equivelant (Cobra 2000), are the way to go.
The IEDs are not equivalent to something like a Cobra 2000. The Cobra is a fuel management device which can (inter)actively alter the fueling by adding some time to the injector signals. It must be "fiddled with" and is not simply "plug and play" in the sense you're looking for. Nothing will do that properly. The IEDs do no fuel managing. All they can do is effectively elevate the entire fuel map, and inasmuch as it's even proper to do that on a factory-proper bike, once breathing parts have been changed/altered, the IEDs are out of their realm.

It really is simple to understand all this. It might take a little bit more reading/pondering for some than others to pick it up, but it's not rocket science.

Old 08-30-2008 | 10:35 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by RoadTramp113

I'm with you. They forget you need a laptop to effectively use some of the other devices. So add the cost of a Laptop.

Personally I would skip the stage one download as all it really does is raise your rev limiter. This is information passed along from someone who works at EPA and tests the Bikes.

So to be fair let's compare a $100 device against a $300 PCIII and another $500 for a laptop.

Obviously the PCIII can do more adjusting, no doubt about it. But some of us just don't want all the adjusting. All we want is to be a little richer.

Old 08-30-2008 | 10:39 AM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Obviously the PCIII can do more adjusting, no doubt about it. But some of us just don't want all the adjusting. All we want is to be a little richer.

That about sums it up for me. Not sure what Glens has against nightrider, but the product does what they advertise it will do.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test