Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008 | 11:28 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

well when the check engine light comes on duh wow u guys should be designing stuff or something, so a PCIII or mastertune tts or fuelpac doesn't have these problems

Last edited by 09fatbob; 08-27-2008 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2008 | 12:06 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

glens I'm going to hate myself 4 this. post 2922 how do u know? my son has a softtail standard 2004 air cleaner kit and vance & hines long shots we took it to a dyno they ran it! conclued it would not bennefit from any fuel management device PERIOD they said that the bike could not be dailed in any BETTER. my point well guess it just doesn't matter does it

Old 08-27-2008 | 08:24 PM
sandpa
Cruiser

Can somebody answer why I had decel poping with my oem filter but it stopped when I went to the K&N replacement for the oem? See post 2920

Old 08-27-2008 | 10:07 PM
Aardvark
4th Gear

i put on a set of xied on my heritage. it did what it advertised.

the bike is cooler, smoother and definately happier with a richer mixture. amazing what a little gas can do for an engine

Old 08-27-2008 | 11:01 PM
yso191
Club Member
Default XiED + Dyno

Hello All,

I just put an XiED (Xtreme Inline Enhancement) on my stock 2008 Dyna
Super Glide (TC96 EFI) with ~2200 miles. I had it dyno'd before &
after. The Air/fuel mixture changed as promised.

Before Torque: 78.91
After: 82.13
So +3.22 ft lbs.

Before HP: 55.93
After: 60.93
So +5 HP

This was noticeable, but barely - which surprises me with an 8% increase in HP. However I notice on the graph that the biggest difference occurs at the highest RPMs - like from 4k to 5.5k.

No noticeable change in exhaust tone, or in smoothness of acceleration. Also no change in low RPM riding. Bottom line is it runs great - but it did before too. Oh and no engine light either - I'm glad for that.

Also surprisingly no change in cylinder temperature after the ride!
This may just be because I was riding it hard. If it trends lower I
will repost on that. Maybe the difference occurs with higher outside temps; it has only been in the 70's since I started checking the temp in prep for this change.

We'll see about fuel mileage changes...

So not bad for ~$100. And if it helps with longevity I am happy. I
can post a scan of the dyno report if anyone is interested.

Steve, Yakima, WA

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:14 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

YSO,post it,I'm interested.

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:26 AM
tbrenan
Road Captain

I have to respond to 09FatBob & Whittlebeast

I live in a Province that has polution testing as a requirement for cars/trucks, we used to have a 93 Ford Tempo, at 120K it was bone stock except for a K&N filter the last pollution test we had showed 0, No2 emissions, I questioned the tester and the car was redone still 0, so to me 02 sensors appear to have a long life, we have an 2000 Dakota R/T 194K still original 02 Sensors, unless HD is using some offshore crap ours should have a long life--Oh and I have dicked around with the fuel delivery on the Dakota

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:45 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

If your mileage takes serious down turn, the first thing I would look at and check, is the 02's!

Old 08-28-2008 | 11:38 AM
REALBOB
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandpa
I have a little over a thousand miles on my xieds and the bike is running great, but figure this.When I first put them on I had my oem filter on and I had some decel poping. Then I replaced the filter with a K&N filter and had very little or no poping on decel.You would thing the poping would have increased since I made it a little more lean. Can on of the knowlege ones explain this to the backyard wrenchs?
Sandpa I'll do my best to explain this to you, but I'll have to do it by example with a ricer. Honda designed their 02 & 03 VTX to run with ratio's of about 13.4 to about 13.8 to 1 F/AR. A problem encountered was decelleration popping. To over come this, an additional exhaust gas port & valve was added by Honda in the head to ignite the rich exhaust gases before the same could be ignited in the exhaust system. Many Honda owners who changed to aftermarket pipe found suddendly that this decell popping needed to be eliminated by an aftermarket fuel management systed; others didn't have the problem.

When you went with the K&N filter, you may have just ever so slightly leaned out the exhaust gas thereby eliminating or reducing the decelleration popping. A point here is it's a very thin line between having decelleration popping & not having it. Any slight leak in the exhaust system for most bikes will produce the decelleration popping too.

BTW, most ricers (like the Hondas), who install the aftermarket free flowing pipes will eliminate the extra exhaust pollution control device.

Hope this helps.

REALBOB 08 FLHTCU

Old 08-28-2008 | 12:30 PM
CR
Advanced

@realbob. Do you mean that you think the stock version is too rich? That is new in this thread! On the decel-popping. I think you have to define what this is. Are you cruising at f.e. 80 miles per hour close the throttle or accelerating at WOT and abruptly closing the throttle immediately afterwards. Decel popping must mean that there is an unburned fuel mixture in the exhaust is it not. if you are cruising along and close the throttle there is very little change of being an unburned mixture in the exhaust, especially since the ECM will likely cut off the fuel until 1200-1500 rpms (same as with modern cars?) When increasing rpms at WOT and suddenly closing the throttle I can imagine that some of the very rich mixture can get into the exhaust pipe unburned and explode there because of a better AFR. Again how you define decel popping also determines whether one should look at it as a problem in my opinion. Suggestions any-one?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test