Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 05:28 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by krazy3
I am running a stock Street Glide withn B&E Superflow slip ons. Which ones would be best for me, IED or XIED? I am thinking of going true duals from Superflow, but not chaing the nairbox. Any advice?
I would do the slip on swap and run them with out the IED/EXID to see if it pops on decell. Just doing slip ons and no AC, you really shouldn't need anything. There is room for learning in the ECM, but not that much. Even the stealer states you don't really need fueling with just exhaust changes. You will need something if and when you add the AC. If you choose to, I suggest the EXIDE's.

Last edited by BlockHead96; 08-25-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 05:54 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Gundog, you connect the SERT/SEST/TTS/Twin-Scan-II to the data port on your bike. It's a connector just hanging there with a rubber plug in it, likely beside your ECU.

The Twin-Scan is self-sufficient for about an hour's worth of data. The SEST might be, too, for some amount of time. The SERT/TTS, for sure, require a laptop or other device running Microsoft Windows (yuck!) connected to it and stuffed in your saddlebag, knapsack, etc. to record the data.

Any of the units can datalog on any bike, regardless being married to one or not (no worries with the Twin-Scan).

I really don't want to **** anybody off by saying this, but the software with the TTS I just obtained the other day is well below the standards of quality and usability I've become accustomed to in the GNU/Linux world over the past 12 years. At least in the rare event I've encountered software that didn't do just what I wanted, how I wanted it, I've been able to modify the source code accordingly and re-compile it. Not so this stuff... Not only is it not very intuitive, but the documentation is sorely lacking. Perhaps with some help, if it's accepted, this will change in future revisions.

Old 08-25-2008 | 06:10 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

Glens, thanks for the reply.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:35 PM
sandpa
Cruiser

Krazy3, I am running the Xieds with Rush slipons and K&N replacement for OEM air filter. The bike runs great and no decel poping. If you change your head pipes you need fuelmanagement.

Old 08-26-2008 | 05:23 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

sandpa how do you figure If you change your head pipes you need fuelmanagement.just wanting 2 no later

Old 08-26-2008 | 03:42 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
I would do the slip on swap and run them with out the IED/EXID to see if it pops on decell. Just doing slip ons and no AC, you really shouldn't need anything. There is room for learning in the ECM, but not that much. Even the stealer states you don't really need fueling with just exhaust changes. You will need something if and when you add the AC. If you choose to, I suggest the EXIDE's.
It runs fine without the IED/XIED with the Superflows. I was looking at trying to cool it down a bit. Also Suplerflow tells me I can bolt his true dual conversion on without any kind of fuel management system.

Old 08-26-2008 | 04:06 PM
aal
Cruiser

One question I have on the xied: I've read that the ecu adapts over time to o2 sensor changes; meaning that the ecu over time would override the xied, and make the bike go back to a 14.7 to 1 afr. Is this possibly correct? Anyone have any long term experience with the xied? It seems like most comments are from people who have just put the product on the bike. Anyone know if nightrider has addressed this question? Thanks.

Old 08-26-2008 | 04:42 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

aal

Yes the ECU will adapt back to what it thinks is 14.7 The trick is, the xieds will trick the ECU into really home into 13.8 or so.

AW

Old 08-26-2008 | 05:31 PM
aal
Cruiser

whittlebeast, thanks. Sounds like then there's no problem with the xied loosing its effectiveness over time.

Old 08-26-2008 | 09:27 PM
sandpa
Cruiser

I have a little over a thousand miles on my xieds and the bike is running great, but figure this.When I first put them on I had my oem filter on and I had some decel poping. Then I replaced the filter with a K&N filter and had very little or no poping on decel.You would thing the poping would have increased since I made it a little more lean. Can on of the knowlege ones explain this to the backyard wrenchs?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test