Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 08:20 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I posted a few pages back that I had messed with my AC and a huge hole had developed in my fuel map even wile running the a set of ViEDs. It turned out the the hole was really a poorly designed fuel tank by Harley and a bike that is acceleration on a punch that I can starve the fuel pump. I retested with a full tank and the hole was gone

For the record 3.5 gal filed my 5.5 gal tank so the last two gal are just for limping to the gas station.

With the new AC, the bike still felt lean to me up on top so I ellected to go back to the stock AC and running the ViEDs set to about 14 AFR

Old 08-24-2008 | 12:26 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Andy:

Notice any odd behavior or data logging when running the VIED's at different values?

Last edited by heywood727; 08-24-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2008 | 07:19 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Cruiser - from Montreal, Canada - thanks for ure great education on the HD O2 theory.
some just jealous of ure knowledge and contribution....
im new to HD world your thoughts and education were greatly appriciated.... thanks
frank

Old 08-24-2008 | 11:30 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Default IED vs. XIED

I am running a stock Street Glide withn B&E Superflow slip ons. Which ones would be best for me, IED or XIED? I am thinking of going true duals from Superflow, but not chaing the nairbox. Any advice?

Old 08-25-2008 | 12:45 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I would say that if you have aftermarket mufflers then you do not have a stock bike. Now I know what you mean: you have not cracked open the engine, but that just means you have a stock engine.

Anyway, between the two *IEDs my advice is stick with the standard ones.

But I'd save my money on them if I were you because you plan to change your exhaust plumbing entirely. When you do that, you will absolutely have to remap your fueling somehow. See the graphic I generated from the SERT software, which plainly shows the differing programming needed between the stock touring exhaust plumbing and dual pipes.

What it shows is the Volumetric Efficiency tables for the two systems. VE is pretty much the common factor for fueling. More VE, more fuel needed, less VE, less fuel. The *IEDs merely raise the entire graph, as a whole, by differing levels, depending on which IEDs are used; they will not accommodate the necessary "topography" changes. You'll have to do that with a good piggyback setup, or by reprogramming the ECU, or by changing the ECU to a different one. When you do any of those, you'll not need any of the *IEDs, and you just as well get a better airbox assembly while you're at it.

Last edited by glens; 08-25-2008 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 03:04 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Originally Posted by krazy3
I am running a stock Street Glide withn B&E Superflow slip ons. Which ones would be best for me, IED or XIED? I am thinking of going true duals from Superflow, but not chaing the nairbox. Any advice?
Out of the two, I'd look at option 3, towards the VIED's. You can dial them from 14.3 (IED's setting) to 13.7 (XIED's)

That way you can play with them in both set ups. Currently, I'm running my back cylinder at 13.8 and the front at 14.0.

If your not going to change the A/C, the IED's for now would do the trick.

Old 08-25-2008 | 06:03 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I woud not run different settings front and rear unless you borrow a SERT and data log the bike to fine tune in the devices. You would never know what direction to go without the ability to see the logs.

Last edited by whittlebeast; 08-25-2008 at 06:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 12:07 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

whittlebeast
I woud not run different settings front and rear unless you borrow a SERT and data log the bike to fine tune in the devices. You would never know what direction to go without the ability to see the logs.

You make this sound so simple, but how do you borrow a SERT? I thought the SERT was married to the bike that it is installed on. And as far as data logging, you are the only one I have seen talk about this.

Old 08-25-2008 | 12:40 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

To the best of my knowledge the SERT only marries itself to the bike on the first upload of a new calibration. Once this happens the SERT can still be used to data log any other bike and I think it can read and clear codes. I have not tried it with my SERT. It has never uploaded a new tune as my bike is still running a stock map.

The only difficult part about data logging is convincing people it really is easy.

Last edited by whittlebeast; 08-25-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-25-2008 | 02:51 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

whittlebeast

I’m having trouble visualizing how I would make the connection. Where on my bike would I connect? Would I be down loading the data from my ECM or would I need to ride with a laptop or some sort of PDA? I know this info was probably covered before but I can’t seem to find it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test