Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 05:50 PM
74XLH 08FXSTC
6th Gear
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Great thread lots of good info here.
Put my IED's in yesterday, took a ride and immediatly noticed a smoother running engine with quicker throttle responce. I have no way of comparing heat since i only have 25 miles on my 08.
This IAT mod sounds interesiting is there a part# for the IAT sensor for a 08? Will the factory wire reach the airbox? Maby a custom wire harness extender is in order here to put it in free air somewhere without engine heat messing with it.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 03-04-2008 | 06:11 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

I did some searching around. Not sure if this is good for current models. I got the price from Zanotti's.

IAT part#27270-95 $16.00

Old 03-04-2008 | 08:03 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Rider 57, is that test just with the ied's?

Old 03-05-2008 | 12:14 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Fastbagger here's how Rider57 had his Bike set up.

"Using Mobile 1 Syn 20/50 oil, no cooler, homemade IED, relocated IAT, stock exhaust / mufflers, stock AC, premium gas 97 octane."

I'm impressed.

Old 03-05-2008 | 07:37 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: heywood727

Cool I understand.:
The numbers look better than I thought? Where about did the ECM break away from thenarrow band sensors? Or did it?

>I dont exactly know what you mean by the above question.<

I was under the impression that the narrow band sensors only affected the AFR untill you went passed a certain amount of throttle position?

I was kind of interested on what gets changed in the Stage 1 download. I was told it changes the timing a bit and the AFR tables to match ( or close to) the adjustments for the free'r flowing A/C and pipes?

Thanks Rider57 for the numbers and the time spent. This more than proves that these IED's actually work as advertised. I'm impressed. Get some riding in while you can.
The closed loop mode stays in effest until wide open throttle, unless you really get on it heavy. Them it can go open loop just about anywhere above idel.

Old 03-05-2008 | 07:42 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 74XLH 08FXSTC

Great thread lots of good info here.
Put my IED's in yesterday, took a ride and immediatly noticed a smoother running engine with quicker throttle responce. I have no way of comparing heat since i only have 25 miles on my 08.
This IAT mod sounds interesiting is there a part# for the IAT sensor for a 08? Will the factory wire reach the airbox? Maby a custom wire harness extender is in order here to put it in free air somewhere without engine heat messing with it.
[sm=alcoholic.gif]
Keep the IAT dry at all time and do not try to clean it, touch it on the sensor or paint it. If you do, it may go bad and you would never know it.

Old 03-05-2008 | 09:43 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: heywood727

Cool I understand.:
The numbers look better than I thought? Where about did the ECM break away from thenarrow band sensors? Or did it?

>I dont exactly know what you mean by the above question.<

I was under the impression that the narrow band sensors only affected the AFR untill you went passed a certain amount of throttle position?

I was kind of interested on what gets changed in the Stage 1 download. I was told it changes the timing a bit and the AFR tables to match ( or close to) the adjustments for the free'r flowing A/C and pipes?

Thanks Rider57 for the numbers and the time spent. This more than proves that these IED's actually work as advertised. I'm impressed. Get some riding in while you can.
The closed loop mode stays in effest until wide open throttle, unless you really get on it heavy. Them it can go open loop just about anywhere above idel.
Open loop is really tied to the MAP sensor and (at least with the stock like maps) goes open loop at about 15% throttle in the low rpm ranges and goes open at about 35% throttle whennear the center of the torque range. This is far sooner than full throttle. Just go data log your bike on the road. Youmay alsofeel the bike stop "hunting" as the pulse width is no longer a function of the o2 integrator as it goes open loop and starts "bringing on the fuel".

Hope this helps

AW

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:32 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Perfect, I was just wondering when looking at Rider57's numbers and throttle position, where abouts did the Air Fuel Ratio jump to an open loop setting??

I would have thought that the numbers would be lower, or would the bike have to underload for the Mass Airflow to kick it to open loop.

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:37 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

That's great news 74XLH. I think more info is shortly coming for the IAT relocation. Thanks for sharing your results.

Old 03-05-2008 | 10:45 AM
heywood727
Road Master

You know guys, there seem to be a lot of people following this thread on what we're doing and some of the terms we're using maybe confusing people or scaring the off or making it sound more technical than it has to be for the adverage guy.

Do you think that we could list a few things in layman terms so more people can take advantage of the information were talking about?

These forms are a great help and a wealth of info. I just hate to leave someone confused of not be able to take advantage of what we're talking about and help them apply it to something they may be able to relate it too. More heads are better than 1 if we're all on the same page.

AFR.......Air Fuel Ratio

Map...Manafold Absolute Pressure Sensor (Edited..my mistake)
IAT.....internal (initial)Air Temperature??

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test