Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 05:38 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Is that not what I just said???

But for one, I wouldn't add the EXIDE's, just yet!!! It's only logical to do one step at a time and note results. Should you add both simultaniously and an issue occurs, how do you know which may have caused it????? To me, that just sounds like extra work and headache. Why on earth multiply a siituation??
Blockhead I was merely responding back to Nevil as he posted his comments to me.

As far as my answer goes. That's why I emphasised, "That's what I would do".

The Xied's or IED's for that matter are such a simple install that if a problem were to occur, it could be removed simply and the Bike monitored to see the results. More is likely to occur with the exhaust, such as an exhaust leak where the muffler slips onto the head pipe.

Old 08-20-2008 | 06:09 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Nevil, sounds like your dealer is on top of the problem. I can only tell you what I would do. I would want to be certain that the problem is fixed and the Bike is running as good as a stock bike should run. Once I was certain the Bike was OK, I would throw the mufflers on and the XIED's. But that's me.

Good Luck...
You're right. I need to be patient, and do like you and Blockhead say. See what and if my bike learns over the miles and note what changes take place. Just another reason (as if I need one) to ride as much as possible. At least this dealer isn't blaming me for the problems. They even lowered the idle speed as I asked and adjusted the clutch, which I didn't request since it felt fine to me. I appreciate the advice and support, which I guess is the reason for this forum.

Old 08-20-2008 | 07:47 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
You're right. I need to be patient, and do like you and Blockhead say. See what and if my bike learns over the miles and note what changes take place. Just another reason (as if I need one) to ride as much as possible. At least this dealer isn't blaming me for the problems. They even lowered the idle speed as I asked and adjusted the clutch, which I didn't request since it felt fine to me. I appreciate the advice and support, which I guess is the reason for this forum.
Your Welcome...

Old 08-20-2008 | 09:02 PM
HOGBOB
Tourer

I originally posted into this thread, not to put down these devices(IED'S,XIED's), but to understand how they work and what they accomplish. I see they work for alot of folks, but not all. I have seen alot of false information about all things EFI posted in this thread. Alot of things being given as fact that are infact opinion. I see the the topic starter time and again reccomend XIED's to people with all sorts of pipe, and intake mods. This I find irresponsible. Unless of course, he has tested all combinations, and knows how they will perform. I've seen him tell folks that they do not need expensive solutions, and attack anyone who suggests otherwise. When a person posts into this thread, to shed light on any one of many inaccuracys presented as fact, Cruiser gos into attack mode. Steve Cole, Glens, and even Steve Mullen, have done alot to explain things, and set others straight. No matter what side of the debate they are on, there info is correct. The same can not be said of others. Cruiser, I'll leave you with a word, that should be near and dear to your heart. Shill................1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.
–verb (used without object)
Sorry Cruiser, I call them like I see them.

Old 08-20-2008 | 09:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by HOGBOB
I originally posted into this thread, not to put down these devices(IED'S,XIED's), but to understand how they work and what they accomplish. I see they work for alot of folks, but not all. I have seen alot of false information about all things EFI posted in this thread. Alot of things being given as fact that are infact opinion. I see the the topic starter time and again reccomend XIED's to people with all sorts of pipe, and intake mods. This I find irresponsible. Unless of course, he has tested all combinations, and knows how they will perform. I've seen him tell folks that they do not need expensive solutions, and attack anyone who suggests otherwise. When a person posts into this thread, to shed light on any one of many inaccuracys presented as fact, Cruiser gos into attack mode. Steve Cole, Glens, and even Steve Mullen, have done alot to explain things, and set others straight. No matter what side of the debate they are on, there info is correct. The same can not be said of others. Cruiser, I'll leave you with a word, that should be near and dear to your heart. Shill................1. a person who poses as a customer in order to decoy others into participating, as at a gambling house, auction, confidence game, etc.
2. a person who publicizes or praises something or someone for reasons of self-interest, personal profit, or friendship or loyalty.
–verb (used without object)
Sorry Cruiser, I call them like I see them.
You know what they say about opinions. They're like A holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

It doesn't bother me what you think. The results speak for themselves. Steve's (Nightriders) approval rating by real customers is running in the high 90's % bracket. Real people with real opinions. The product sells itself as one friend uses one and recommends it along the line to his other friends.

My interest in doing this is to show people that they don't have to spend a thousand dollars on a device and a dyno tune. Like I did on my previous bike. I blew a fortune on fuel mngt devices that never lived up to their promises. I don't make any money from this, nor do I receive compensation in any other form. But I have to wonder why some people are working so hard to discredit Nightrider and his simple device that does exactly as promised.

Your observations aren't accurate. I have had equal conversations with people who liked them and with people who it just didn't work for. The ones I get defensive about are the obvious ones who are on a mission.

Just a Happy Customer...

Old 08-21-2008 | 02:52 AM
merdahl
Road Master

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Your observations aren't accurate. I have had equal conversations with people who liked them and with people who it just didn't work for. The ones I get defensive about are the obvious ones who are on a mission.

Cruiser,

Your above statement is not accurate. I replied to this thread with neutral comments; IED's did nothing for me except throw 131/151 codes. You assumed I was a troll or Glens and immediately discounted my comments. That was not equal time. I am not sure what your agenda is or the reason for it, but I have to wonder.

Matt

Old 08-21-2008 | 06:26 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I was doing a bit of testing this week on a modified air cleaner to allow cooler air into the top of the air cleaner and block all of the hot air coming in off the front of the motor. The bike ran fine on the ViEDs around town but a huge hole in the fueling apparently developed. When ever I ripped open the throttle at about 2000 RPM a huge but quick drop in pull hit and then the pull would return. These devices do have limits in the changes that they can cover for. I did not have many miles on the bike at the time but I elected to return to a stock AC.

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:42 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HOGBOB
I originally posted into this thread, not to put down these devices(IED'S,XIED's), but to understand how they work and what they accomplish. I see they work for alot of folks, but not all. I have seen alot of false information about all things EFI posted in this thread. Alot of things being given as fact that are infact opinion.
That is the same reason I was following this thread, but it is mostly an ongoing disagreement with little hard data to back anything up. I posted and got slammed a little, no big deal and thanks Cruiser for coming back on and knowing we got off on the wrong foot. The forum is a forum, a place where everyone should be allowed to speak freely and say what they want, within the forum rules of course. The problem with any forum is there is a lot of info given as fact, when indeed it is just an opinion. Most people will not admit a shortcoming to whatever it is they have purchased, that would be admitting they made a mistake. If something works for them and five others, it must be the perfect setup. Performance is based on "seat of the pants" and that is very inaccurate. My best example is my friend who added drag pipes to his bike, nothing else. Sounded great, ran ok, but not as good as it did with the old muffler system. He swore it was much faster but we could prove him wrong just riding with him. The problem was, too him, it SOUNDED faster, all that roar gave him the feeling of power. So, my advice to all is read here and everywhere else you can until YOU feel comfortable making a decision to stand on your own and not follow the crowd because someone said it is so.

Old 08-21-2008 | 09:02 AM
billb7984
Advanced

Ok guys I have a 2007 softail ,Ive had the xieds on for about a month now ,and I have some screamin eagles on and they werent much louder then the original exhust ,so I pulled the baffles out and cut the ends off and put them back on ,now these pipes sound like the old screamin eagles.The gas mileage is about 43 miles per gallon ,there is no pinging ,and now that the pipes bark louder ,I cant even here the chattering in fifth gear!!!!! yo Bill

Old 08-21-2008 | 10:02 AM
skiahh
Tourer

Here's one for all the experts out there. My bike was getting 45-48 MPG when I bought it (new). Ran it for several hundred miles, then put on XiEDs. Seemed cooler, seemed to run a bit better and all, but there was a huge surprise waiting for me at the fuel pump. Mileage dropped to 37 +/- 2. Now, I expected to see a bit of a drop, but a 25% drop?? Emailed Steve Mullen and he said I was the second report of this. After running through a few more tanks with the same, stabilized mpg, I decided to take the things off.

Now, back to bone stock, I'm getting the same MPG and the bike seems to be the same as when I had the XiEDs on. I'm confused here and have a couple of questions.

First, to verify it was the XiEDs that did something (or not), can I do a master reset of the ECM or do I have to take it in to the shop? Is there some method, through the diagnositc mode to accomplish this? Is it as simple as disconnecting the battery for a while? If I do this, will I have to do the security system re-learn procedure?

For the record, Steve has said he will swap out the XiEDs for me, no problem. I just want to make sure I don't have any other problems with the bike.

I did get the lean codes and reset them. Haven't checked to see if they're back, but I don't get the light on start up for active codes, so I don't think I'm still throwing them.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test