Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 03:51 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Glens your right he (steve cole) has not pushed tts mastertune however he won't give any credit where due. Works 4 some doesn't work 4 others guess what... Same can be said about pciii fuelpack and all the others including mastertune when it comes on line will have some issues i'm sure. I learned from about tts masterune FROM U. So i looked it up, and guess what...
Generally speaking if you bad mouth something there is a reason!!

Old 08-20-2008 | 03:57 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

1000 mile service no codes : ) bike 44 to 46 mpg still stock hope it stays the same with big radius and k n air filter when they come on line. I will let you know of course. Oh yes plugs were golden, perfect according to the mechanic (did not tell him about xieds yet)

Old 08-20-2008 | 04:13 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

09fatbob

All I did is point out the simple facts. How the ECM works with them and why some are having the issues. I'm glad your happy as that is what counts for you, but others are not. I give credit where credit is due but not to where it is not just to make someone feel good. It will work for some and not for others is the simple truth and the facts to that are right here in this thread as well as others around the net. Again, glad your happy with yours and it's working for you.

Old 08-20-2008 | 04:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by glens
You guys are hilarious. I'll look later on tonight for sure. I don't believe Steve Cole has even mentioned TTS yet until you goaded him into it. I'm fairly certain he's never tried to sell one in this thread.

I got a chuckle out of somebody a few posts back who said Steve Mullen was a fair and impartial person compared to Steve Cole. Not a blast against either of them. I just thought saying it was funny.

Steve Cole: Listen, I've pretty much said already all that you've recently said. You can keep saying it if you want, I take it as affirmation, but it seems to go pretty much nowhere here.
Hey Glens ever see the Movie Platoon? There's a quote from Sgt. Elias to O'Neil that makes me think of you every time I hear it.

Sgt. Elias: "Hey O'Neill, take a break! You don't have to be a ***** every day of your life, you know".

With all due respect, take a day off and give it a break.

Old 08-20-2008 | 04:25 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
I wonder what the history of your Bike is nevil. With 400 miles on it, it sounds like someone traded it in on another. No telling what the first owner did to the bike. I would ask for the dealer to reprogram the ECU with the original stock map. 36 mpg is not the mileage of a typical new stock bike. That would indicate a possible overly rich condition, but the popping and surging are both signs of a lean condition. They need to make your Bike right for you. I hope everything goes well when you take it back.
Well, got it back from dealer #2. They replaced the crank position sensor (CPS) and updated the map from service bulletin M-1220. I had asked them to verify the stock map. Don't know why but they also replaced the spark plugs (there must be some issues with the plugs, after dealer #1 changed them I mentioned it to Steve Mullen, he looked into it and told me some series of bike have plug issues).
The service guy said even if I install slipons and no a/c I still need a remap. Really?
I didn't get to put more than 10 miles on it, but surging seems gone. I got it to backfire once or twice but was not as sharp or loud. Couldn't tell if the decel pop was gone or lessened because the bike is so quiet but seems better.
Do you think I should ride it more in stock configuration or just put on the xieds and use it for awhile, then install the slipons? Or just install both? Guess I'm just impatient to remove the stock mufflers, but I gladly welcome any input.

Old 08-20-2008 | 04:56 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Steve Cole, not tring to goon on u dude. there is no magic bullet and leave it at that. you yourself has said it. run what brung. KEEP YOUR FISTS IN THE WIND!! BE safe ride long and hard and lets end this, the man just wants some feed back on the nightrider products

Old 08-20-2008 | 04:59 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Nevil,

I am basically in the same boat as you. My Slip On's have been sitting in the garage for two weeks now. My plan of action first, is to ride for awhile as the bike is now, after the dealer has already done the new DL. I want to see how she feels for awhile before I do anything. At present, the bike is completely stock. Next, I will add the slip on's, this gives me a clear representation of what's happening each step of the way. So, my first step is to correct any situations that have come from the factory, this means to ensure it runs as it's supposed to. That step has been done! The new DL has in fact been upgraded from HD, it is the ETH, (rear cylinder shut down at idle), well, it has certainly done a lot more than just shut off the rear injector. There is obviously something else programmed into it, as I have far better throttle response and power! When I drove it away, I could still make it ping a little, as this was the issue I took it in for. Since I was able to make it slightly ping when I left the dealer, I have since had a harder time to make it ping. Now, I think I got it to ping because the comp may be in a learn mode after I picked it up. It took awhile for it to settle down. Now I have a much harder time trying to make it ping. Once I'm satisfied, I will add the S/L ons and see what happens.

Last edited by BlockHead96; 08-20-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2008 | 05:03 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
Well, got it back from dealer #2. They replaced the crank position sensor (CPS) and updated the map from service bulletin M-1220. I had asked them to verify the stock map. Don't know why but they also replaced the spark plugs (there must be some issues with the plugs, after dealer #1 changed them I mentioned it to Steve Mullen, he looked into it and told me some series of bike have plug issues).
The service guy said even if I install slipons and no a/c I still need a remap. Really?
I didn't get to put more than 10 miles on it, but surging seems gone. I got it to backfire once or twice but was not as sharp or loud. Couldn't tell if the decel pop was gone or lessened because the bike is so quiet but seems better.
Do you think I should ride it more in stock configuration or just put on the xieds and use it for awhile, then install the slipons? Or just install both? Guess I'm just impatient to remove the stock mufflers, but I gladly welcome any input.
Nevil, sounds like your dealer is on top of the problem. I can only tell you what I would do. I would want to be certain that the problem is fixed and the Bike is running as good as a stock bike should run. Once I was certain the Bike was OK, I would throw the mufflers on and the XIED's. But that's me.

Good Luck...

Old 08-20-2008 | 05:15 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
09fatbob

All I did is point out the simple facts. How the ECM works with them and why some are having the issues. I'm glad your happy as that is what counts for you, but others are not. I give credit where credit is due but not to where it is not just to make someone feel good. It will work for some and not for others is the simple truth and the facts to that are right here in this thread as well as others around the net. Again, glad your happy with yours and it's working for you.
Steve, the forum is full of posters who are having problems with all of the fuel mngt systems. There isn't any system out there that has a flawless record. So why should the Nightrider products be any different?

Some issues are caused by the owner or person who installs the unit. Other issues are caused by pre existing problems already on the Bike prior to installing a device. Other issues have been caused by defective systems that need a firmware update, or have some other issue. The more complicated the unit, the more there is to go wrong.

Steve's success rate is in the high 90's. I suspect this is due to several things. One is ease of installation where it is less likely one will screw up. Two is the simplicity of the device. It does one thing, and does it well.

Have some of the people who have repeatedly posted negative comments on this thread been fair, I think not. You don't see these type of attacks on threads about the Tmax, or PCIII, and they have certainly had their fair share of problems as well.

It's time to live and let live. Kharma has a funny way of coming back around and biting you in the butt.

Peace!

Old 08-20-2008 | 05:28 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Nevil, sounds like your dealer is on top of the problem. I can only tell you what I would do. I would want to be certain that the problem is fixed and the Bike is running as good as a stock bike should run. Once I was certain the Bike was OK, I would throw the mufflers on and the XIED's. But that's me.

Good Luck...

Is that not what I just said???

But for one, I wouldn't add the EXIDE's, just yet!!! It's only logical to do one step at a time and note results. Should you add both simultaniously and an issue occurs, how do you know which may have caused it????? To me, that just sounds like extra work and headache. Why on earth multiply a siituation??

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test