Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 11:50 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Where have I ever mentioned excessive pinging? Cold you please show me where all these other problems and "stuff" wrong with my bike?? I seriously doubt you can. You're the only one to claim I have a host of "stuff" wrong, or issues with the bike. Cruiser, your a good guy, but I think your reading into something that isn't there. There isn't any, aside from occasional ping. I'm also re teaching myself to ride this thing, where as, to take the R's higher in the gear before grabbing the next and rolling it on. If I recall, even you had suggested this to me... As mentioned before, my EXIDE's are sitting on the bench, for awhile. I will install them again, just for $hit and giggles and see what becomes..

You're a passionate individual, there is something to be said for that!

Old 08-19-2008 | 12:09 PM
MindfulRider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
The XIED isn't going to do its thing unless your Bike is running right to begin with.
Well, I think I know what you mean, but put this way it makes one wonder: if the bike is "running right", why would I add this device? Surely you mean, as stated somewhere on the Nightrider site, that the bike shouldn't have major problems and the *IED may help with some symptoms of stock lean conditions on some bikes - there is too much variation to be sure, but at the price it may be worth a try before going the more expensive SERT/SEST/TTS (etc.) route.

Yes, a lot of passion in this thread. Quite entertaining.

Old 08-19-2008 | 12:48 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
As for these IED's, I'm the biggest skeptic around, because of my situation with a new bike that pings, I ordered a set of IED's. I want to try it for myself to see if it in fact helps reduce or eliminate my ping, before I go letting the dealer download the heat reduction program. I just can't see how shutting down the rear cylinder when at idle is going to help the ping. I will report if they do anything for me, as I am an opinionated individual!
Originally Posted by Post 2687
After they do the Parade Mode program on mine this Thursday, I too will request a re program of the ECM if PM doesn't help my ping.
Originally Posted by Post 2673
I may try my EXIDE's again once the dealer thinks they have control over my ping issues. I hope to take it in this week and get this ball rolling.. For now, it's wait and see.
Also post 2653 and 2660. You came up here with a Pinging problem that we have all tried to help you with. I'm glad to hear your dealer is getting a grip on it. Once the Bike is fixed put the XIED's on and give them a couple of hundred miles and see if your opinion doesn't change.

Just a Happy Customer

Old 08-19-2008 | 12:51 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by MindfulRider
Well, I think I know what you mean, but put this way it makes one wonder: if the bike is "running right", why would I add this device? Surely you mean, as stated somewhere on the Nightrider site, that the bike shouldn't have major problems and the *IED may help with some symptoms of stock lean conditions on some bikes - there is too much variation to be sure, but at the price it may be worth a try before going the more expensive SERT/SEST/TTS (etc.) route.

Yes, a lot of passion in this thread. Quite entertaining.
Thanks for correcting me you are quite right. The Bike shouldn't have a major problem. XIED's, or a Race Tuner won't fix a broken part.

Thanks...

Just a Happy Customer...

Old 08-19-2008 | 01:13 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Once again, the occasional ping, is my only situation I have ever had, period! I'm still not seeing any other "stuff" that is wrong with my bike. Post 2687, means exactly that, if the ETH flash doesn't help, I would suggest to the dealer for a re program of the OEM program. Hasn't come to that.

My bike has NO major problems as you wish to suggest, the EXIDE's claim to help reduce ping, they did NOT.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Once again, the occasional ping, is my only situation I have ever had, period! I'm still not seeing any other "stuff" that is wrong with my bike. Post 2687, means exactly that, if the ETH flash doesn't help, I would suggest to the dealer for a re program of the OEM program. Hasn't come to that.

My bike has NO major problems as you wish to suggest, the EXIDE's claim to help reduce ping, they did NOT.
Let's just call it a missunderstanding. I do have good intentions and only tried to help you.

The XIED's can reduce pinging of course that depends on what is the underlying cause.

Old 08-19-2008 | 02:55 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

On a hot day, my stock bike pinged like a can of marbles before I went to the ViEDs. Now I can't get it to knock. The only thing that was wrong was the stock tune and a lack of cooling.

Old 08-19-2008 | 03:52 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
On a hot day, my stock bike pinged like a can of marbles before I went to the ViEDs. Now I can't get it to knock. The only thing that was wrong was the stock tune and a lack of cooling.
Just curious how do you like the VIED's? What adjustment works best for your Bike?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 08-19-2008 | 04:04 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I like them.

About 14.0 or about the middle setting. I am reluctant to explain how I came to my setting procedure for fear of a keyboard lashing.

AW

Old 08-19-2008 | 04:13 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Cruiser, no problem. I know you have good intentions!! On a side note, there is NO underlying issue! It is what it is because, of EPA. They are all to lean, hence the heat issues and surge. This is nothing, wait till the 2010's come out, then I wouldn't be surprised it is at least a 103" motor!!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test