Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008 | 01:29 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

LOL, so that's a loss of what, 9-12 miles on a tank before a fill. That's if you fill when the light comes on. As with anything else, it's give and take.

Old 08-18-2008 | 03:49 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Originally Posted by glens
Just think of the mileage you could've got without them! 6% less fuel used would've been almost 49 mpg instead of 46.
Maybe there was a crosswind or headwind or his tires weren't inflated to the proper psi or the road wasn't smooth enough, etc. I guess we'll never know since there is no datalogging or nicely colored graphs.

Old 08-18-2008 | 01:32 PM
Duff
Tourer

OK...discovered how much heat comes off my new to me 07 WG (compared to my old 1200 Sporty) I found this board and in particular the looooooonnnnnnggggggesssssttt internet thread I've ever read. Payed my dues and read all 2800 replies and decided to give them a whirl.
Ordered on Friday and installed just now (3 day turnaround) went for a ride and first impressions have left me happy. No magic bullet but idles better, slow speed surge all but gone, better throttle response throughout the gears. Feels cooler but I have no intentions of taking temps with and without. Feels to me about the same awhen I re-jetted the old Sporty. I am happy, sounds good and feels good. I guess I'll see how they work in the long run.
Thanks for all the discussion IRT this topic...would've been better at some points to have been in person with some brews and popcorn though.

Old 08-18-2008 | 06:26 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

This thread has gone way off course, from those of us who are using the XiEDs and really like what they have done ,, to others, who seem to rebuke everything.. Why?? I do not understand..

Old 08-18-2008 | 07:15 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Maybe it's wishful thinking because one really wants something to happen for as little outlay as possible. All I can speak for is myself, they did absolutely nothing for me.

Old 08-18-2008 | 07:34 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Maybe it's wishful thinking because one really wants something to happen for as little outlay as possible. All I can speak for is myself, they did absolutely nothing for me.
Maybe that is because your Bike has other problems that your dealer worked on for you. You tried the XIED before you went to the dealer and he found a bunch of stuff wrong.

Don't get me wrong, they don't work for everyone. Then again you can say that about any fuel mngt. device.

Old 08-18-2008 | 08:47 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by glens
Just think of the mileage you could've got without them! 6% less fuel used would've been almost 49 mpg instead of 46.
I will take the better running bike instead of the 2.76 extra MPG. Well worth the money for the way my bike runs now.

Old 08-18-2008 | 10:13 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Maybe that is because your Bike has other problems that your dealer worked on for you. You tried the XIED before you went to the dealer and he found a bunch of stuff wrong.

Don't get me wrong, they don't work for everyone. Then again you can say that about any fuel mngt. device.
I have no idea where you thought, or think, I had "other problems" and" a bunch of stuff wrong" Not even inside the ball park on that one!

My ride now runs a hell of a lot stronger with the new flash/program and throttle response is noticeably better!

You are correct, all fuelers have issues and need to be dialed in, also by the seat of the pants, regardless of loaded programs they come with or are available.

Old 08-18-2008 | 10:18 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by spmullen
Developing SERT is much simpler than developing the actual ECM code used by the Harley. SERT and TTS are nothing more than a human interface/computer program for passing data into parameter tables to the inside of the actual Delphi ECM code. This is two completely different computer programming disciplines.
The ECM code was developed by Delphi engineers to Harley-Davidson specifications. Developing this type of computer program is frequently called real time programming or process control programming. But no matter what you call it, it is a very distinct computer engineering discipline with a very specific skill sets required.
The programming skills required to create a SERT or TTS is essentially fairly conventional. The fact that they read and write data from a small EFI computer does not make them complex or magical. Understanding EFI is not a requirement to write this type of interface program, although it can help.
So do not assume that being able to develop SERT or TTS makes you an expert on the Harley EFI. It only makes you proficient in reading a software requirements document and developing screen oriented programs.
My comments are not intended to detract from the overall knowledge of people like Steve Cole who does have a lot of valuable information. But he should be the first ones to confirm that ECM development and interface development are completely different skill sets.
Since we write both the base code and PC level code it's no big deal to us to do either of them. The skill sets to do it are pretty much the same with the biggest difference coming from what you have time to become good at. Since we developed all of our own code with no specification sheet or requirement sheet we had to learn the based code from disassembling it and figuring it out. This gives us a very good insight as to how it all works. Anyone who thinks it easier to write the SERT than the base code is sadly mistaken when you do it how we do!

Look the items being discussed here are nothing new. It's a simple voltage divider that has been used on the automobile side for years. Does anyone think for one moment that the O2 sensors are different between the two? The only major difference is the EPA had not yet slammed the door like they did on the automobile side years ago. They put more than a few companies out of business with the fines they gave out. The bottom line is they shift the voltage coming from the O2 sensors, you can get away with it on some and on others it's not going to work, it's just that simple.

Old 08-18-2008 | 11:13 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

I have no idea where you thought, or think, I had "other problems" and" a bunch of stuff wrong" Not even inside the ball park on that one!
This is your earlier post where you talked about the problems your Bike was having???
Originally Posted by BlockHead96
OK, took mine in for the ETH flash, rear cylinder shut down. It really is hard to tell the difference at idle if the rear really is shut down! That said, the new calibration has definitely made big a difference in throttle response! Pings in some areas still, but hey, it's 110* today!! I will let this fly for a few days and get with the dealer with details. If it continues, another (different) download will have to be done. Dealer states in the past, they have known HD to actually send a program that is outside EPA requirements to make it run right.
Like I said, your bike did have problems before you put the XIED on it. Like excessive pinging for one thing. The XIED isn't going to do its thing unless your Bike is running right to begin with.

But they are not for everyone.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test