Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008 | 12:52 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by glens
What about using different resistive values to avoid throwing errors?
Steve at Nightrider,

That's a good question. Would going to higher resistance values, say 300K versus 30K prevent the codes? Or is the O2 sensor designed to operate into a certain load?
I was throwing 131 and 151 with the Xied's but I'm still throwing 131 with Ied's.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; 08-16-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2008 | 06:31 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I personally don't think it is fair to install anything on your bike that will change the tune of the bike and then get codes to set, change the color of the plugs... and then go lie to the dealer as to the combo that most likely caused all of this. It's just not fair to the mechanic trying to put together the pieces of a puzzle.

When you burn a hole in a piston with an XYZ Fuel controller, you own the piston. If the mirror shakes loose, they have the right to claim it was due to the piston hole shaking the bike apart, and they may not. Welcome to moding stuff.

Old 08-16-2008 | 01:00 PM
spmullen
Advanced

People seem to think that IED's/XiED's are a simplistic upgrade that anyone could have come up with. If eliminating the 131/151 codes was a simple matter of changing values, it would have been done. A lot more engineering has gone into these little devices than most realize.
Second thing is that the 131/151 codes occur for other reasons that the cold start situation described earlier. Exhaust leaks, engine miss and free flowing exhaust upgrades are just some of the other issues that can contribute to these codes. Harley considers these codes quite common from information in their Service Manuals.
There is little reason to worry about these codes. They are called called "historic" for specific reasons. These are not active and intended for troubleshooting purposes. Anytime you make any modification to a bike, the normal meaning of any "code" may not be the same as listed in the OEM manual. In the case of of the 131/151 codes, all they really indicate is that the ECM sensed a voltage on the O2 line lower than expected. Since the IED's create a voltage shift, what is occurring at the O2 sensor is different than what the ECM will sense. Now throw in a free flowing exhaust upgrade and the high probabililty of fresh air getting into the exhaust header causing lean readings, you have even different dynamics occurring.
Bikes with IED's and historic 131/151 codes are not running "lean" or even close to lean. The exception is if the bike had a complete O2 sensor failure, which would trigger a CE light that would not go off.
So the 131/151 may be annoying, but not harmful. You only see them when you go looking for them.

Old 08-16-2008 | 01:32 PM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Steve M.

I kinda figured if increasing resistor values would solve it you would of already tried it but I thought I'd ask anyway. And you're right, had I not heard a few others talking about the codes I never would have gone looking for them.
Thanks for the response.

Jim

Old 08-16-2008 | 02:36 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zieg
I was getting 35mpg on my 08 ultra and put the xied's on around 700 miles and still got 35mpg. Also my check engine light would come on for a few seconds after start up. At 1000 mile check up I took off the xied before taking it in. The shop called and told me of the lean codes that showed up and were wondering if I had been running a fuel additive because of the color of the plugs Anyway they did the throttle flash, cleared the codes and regapped the plugs to .038. Said to try shifting at 3000rpm and no more to improve mileage. Tried it and got 38mpg. Put the xied's back on before heading out for a 900 mile ride to PA Got 39mpg and 42mpg while riding thru Allegehneys. And still no more check engine light after start up. Good throttle response, no complaints from the rear about heat, and was using 6th gear from 60mph and sometime less. Xied's seem to be doing well.
Glad you got it all working right. Just curious what were you shifting at before?

Old 08-17-2008 | 07:32 AM
drharley
Cruiser

Cruiser
I have the XiED's and am fairly happy with them. I've been told that the new Termianl Velocity III is the best fueler; so I searched this forum and found that you had the II version on your Street Glide. How did it compare with the XiED's? Did it fail and that is what brought you to the XiED's? We've talked before and I have finally decided to go with the Big Radius from V&H and the Heavy Breather from HD.
Mike

Old 08-17-2008 | 09:22 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Here is an interesting data log This happens to be a BT with typical intake and exhaust mods. This bike happens to have a typical SERT stage one download. The only change we made was move the O2 bias to .65 to simulate the same effect as what the IEDs do. Notice that the o2 response is real similar to what I was getting with the XiEDs. For some reason the o2 voltage (as reported back to the ECU) is quite high, even when running a bias voltage of 450.

In this log, the bike is in 4th then 5th then 6th gear. From the MAP trace you can see he is rolling in and out of the throttle to some degree.

Old 08-17-2008 | 09:37 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

compared to this

Old 08-17-2008 | 10:16 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

You guys need to move these graphs and theories to separate threads, cause now this thread is way off the beaten path and the average "Joe", like me, does not know what these graphs mean.
How about posting them in EFI101 ? I should post items related to my job that you wouldn't understand then you'll get what I mean!

Old 08-17-2008 | 10:51 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I will once that threads gets to that point. What I was pointing out in bold was the main point when I posted here. The SERT with tweaked o2 bias is real similar to doing *IEDs.

If you keep reading the 101 thread, these graphs can become second nature to read. We will be getting into thqt over there. Pleasw join in and ask questions over there.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test