Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:00 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by drharley
And how do you explain the gurus from American iron Magazine who flatly state that the current O2'd Touring Harley can deal with pipes and aircleaner without anything extra, not a Stage I download, PCIII, or even XiED's.

They likely didn't do their homework. As I've mentioned above, if you do one or the other, you should be just fine. I believe the safest bet is the slip on's with no AC.

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by drharley
And how do you explain the gurus from American iron Magazine who flatly state that the current O2'd Touring Harley can deal with pipes and aircleaner without anything extra, not a Stage I download, PCIII, or even XiED's.
The August 08 issue of V Twin has a seperate article on the same S&S air kit. Although they don't mention ecm calibration, on page 112 they have a V-Twin Hop Up Guide featuring the same S&S air kit along with other goodies. At the end of the article on the S&S air kit it clearly states "Installation requires ECM calibration".

Old 08-13-2008 | 10:50 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
The August 08 issue of V Twin has a seperate article on the same S&S air kit. Although they don't mention ecm calibration, on page 112 they have a V-Twin Hop Up Guide featuring the same S&S air kit along with other goodies. At the end of the article on the S&S air kit it clearly states "Installation requires ECM calibration".
Sounds like they did in fact mention ECM calibration, then. And this contradicts what AIM had to say (or lacked saying, more accurately) and confirms what I had said.

Would someone please inform Cruiser that he should take me off his "ignore" list? He had claimed in another thread somewhere on this site that I had painted myself into a corner and told me he was putting me on "ignore". Seems, once again, that he was wrong about what I had to say about what he had to say...

I don't want him to be wrong. I don't want to be right at his expense. I want us both to be right. Near as I can tell, I'm halfway there so far.

Old 08-14-2008 | 06:09 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

what appears to me is you are saying the xieds are lying to the ecu, well inregards isn't that what the pcIII and fuel pack r doing? most people get a standard download 4 a pc III and never touch it again!!! the bike stills pops on decel which is just as bad CORRECT?

Old 08-14-2008 | 08:09 AM
CR
Advanced

Question and answer from S&S:

Sorry we do not have a system for your bike at this time, but we will in a few months. The bike should be able to adjust to the new intake.

Thanks,
S&S Tech

I would like to install the single bore tuned induction system on my road king CVO 08. The bike has fly by wire throttle and stock mufflers (international with catalyst and valve). Question is whether I need SERT of PCIII to avoid leaning out the engine with this mod, since there is no Stage I flash available for a 08 CVO. I remember that S&S states that for a mild tune just as this no fuel system is required? Will there be an increase in power with this intake if there is no fuel system upgrade?

Old 08-14-2008 | 08:27 AM
gyporider
4th Gear
Default xied's

i have been following this thread from the begining. let me see if i have this right, It would seem that the xied's lie to the ECU in closed loop operation and this causes the fuel mixture to run richer. The info on the nightriders site state an accuracy variation of +.3 to -.7. which would cause an AFR of 14.1 to 13.1 (nominal 13.8 ) in closed loop. In open loop (depending on which AFR the ECU actually uses in stock form) the fuel mixture could run from 11.8 to 13.8 ( it has been stated in this thread that open loop stock AFR's are from 12.5 to 13.5). This does not take into consideration how much the ECU can learn from what is happening with Xied's in the system. It is a guess as to how it will compensate for the clipped signal it's getting from the O2 voltages and may widely vary AFR's to compensate for the cryptic signal. It would seem to me that it will overcompensate in dumping fuel in the open loop and the engine would tend to run rich. Until someone actually puts a bike on the dyno and records AFR's in all throttle positions it's just a guess, Also it would seem that it shouldn't really hurt an engine, it just isn't the optimum tune that could be accomplished with a different ECU program and dyno time. IS this close to the experienced tuners thoughts?

Old 08-14-2008 | 10:08 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Well, the problem seems to be that experience tuners have the expertise and means to tune their own bike so they aren't much interested in these. Those with them wanted a cheap way to lower afr so they aren't going to pay for a dyno tune. Really, when it comes right down to it Nightrider is the one that should be doing the testing and providing the results.

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:35 AM
spmullen
Advanced

131/151 historic codes only occur during cold start unless there are unrelated secondary issues with the bike. As part of the transition from open loop startup to closed loop, the ECM attempts to start reading O2 voltages before the sensors are fully warmed up. Normally high impedance on the sensors keeps the ECM from reading during sensor warmup, but the IED's do not act the same way in cold start situations. Hence the 131/151 historic codes, which may be an annoyance if you look for them but are not a problem.
As soon as the sensors are producing adequate voltage (usually 90-120 seconds), the ECM is able to transition into closed loop as it should. This does not occur on hot start when the sensor are at temp.

Old 08-14-2008 | 12:34 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09fatbob
anybody--DOES YOUR BIKE POP ON DECELL WITH THE XIEDS AND AFTER MARKET EXHAUST AND AIR CLEANER?
My 07 pops on decel with any combination of the stage 1 mods, with or without xieds, and will do it in completely stock setup. It also backfires when closing throttle after somewhat high (not rev limit) rpms. Goes into the second dealer next week to see if they can do better than the first dealer. Maybe this is something that will come up on other bikes, so we will see what or if they find anything. BTW, the first dealer did find a defective spark plug, which helped a little. Steve at Nightrider tells me that certain bikes are having spark plug issues. Easy enough to change and my indy prefers NGKs.

Old 08-14-2008 | 01:23 PM
sgt1577
Advanced

I checked my plugs today after a few hundred miles with the XiED's installed. They looked perfect, with no signs of the bike running rich. So far it runs great. The only modification that the bike has is Screaming Eagle slip-ons

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test