Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:52 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

But Steve, if you're not opening up the front end, AC, it is still some what restricted and flow is still reduced, going in. I understand the path of least resistance, but if the path is restricted up stream, the out flow is also restricted, I believe this is why HD says slip on's will be ok without opening up the intake and modifying the fueling. I do agree with you, if opening both front and back, ya need to do something!

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:55 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

My bike goes in thursday, will be interesting if they see or look for codes from the EXIDE's. If the do and question it, I'll give them the deer in the headlight look!

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:56 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Papifun

We have not made it to open loop / closed loop yet in that thread.

Closed loop is when the ECU looks at the o2 sensor in the exhaust and if it detects the existance of oxygen, the ECU assumes the combustion process ran out of fuel before it ran out of oxygen, so the motor must be lean... add a litttle more fuel and repeat this testing loop. When doing a downshift or under hard acceleration the ECU stops this endless loop and just injects fuel based on preprogramed tables. Our motors are in closed loop mode (from the factory) about 80% of the time.

Hope this helps

AW

Last edited by whittlebeast; 08-13-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 | 01:34 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

thanks Whittlebeast.. now makes more sense..

Blockhead - my bike going for first oil change to HD in two weeks, i reset codes 131 and 151 and riding for 200km with no Xied's - will let u know if dealer says anything...

Old 08-13-2008 | 03:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Whittlebeast logs clearly show the problem with the XIED installed on his bike. Is anyone not looking at the data there?
Maybe they'll listen to you. I've clearly pointed this out several times already. I went into great detail describing the malformed waveforms. I have been told to take the "clipped waveform" type of talk elsewhere.

The log on the left shows the O2 switching as it should in stock form. Note that it shifts above and below the center point on the graph. Then look at the center one and the one on the right. you can clearly see the shift caused by the XIED but if he had bothered to pay attention you can also clearly see that the shift has cause the output to hit the upper limit of the system! It's nowhere close to being centered and the system will detect this and set codes for it.
That's pretty much verbatim what I have said. The divergence is that the upper bounds being hammered are not with the voltage the ECM reads, but with the sensors themselves.

There are two ways the ECM can average the voltage it's reading and depending on which method employed it might well be the reason for the "lean codes" getting thrown. One is average of peak-to-peak and the other is average over time (rather RMS). The time method would not throw the codes but the peak-to-peak divided by two just might.

In any event, the reports are that the codes only get thrown early-on in the running session. It remains to be seen whether that's actually the case or not, though. If they are indeed being thrown throughout the session there certainly is/will-be a problem.

... When you change the airflow through the motor as you do with an A/C and exhaust your going to need something more than this if you want to get all the gains you can have.
I have been saying that under those conditions they won't be running correctly, which I guess pretty much means the same as what you said...

I'll repeat it again, in case anybody has missed me saying it so far:

If you have a correct tune (ECU VE mapping) for your running parts and want to spend most all your time in closed-loop, or if you want to merely increase driveability a tad, while you further research your options, the standard IEDs would be a good investment. The XIEDs take the O2 sensors to a place they do not work well/reliably.

And if you do not have a correct tune (ECU VE mapping) for your running parts you need to either do that directly in the ECU via SERT, etc. or after-the-fact with a programable piggyback unit. If you do either of those two things you do not need any of the *IEDs.

Last edited by glens; 08-13-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-13-2008 | 04:19 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

anybody--DOES YOUR BIKE POP ON DECELL WITH THE XIEDS AND AFTER MARKET EXHAUST AND AIR CLEANER?

Old 08-13-2008 | 04:39 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default Protection Mode

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Guys if your setting lean codes then the ECM goes into protection mode. It's not a big deal but it let's you know the system cannot handle the changes your making and that's not a good thing to do. You are chasing your tail if it sets codes and you do nothing to correct it.
Steve, how does the engine react in protection mode?

I have searched the Internet for a couple of hours and can't find one word about "The Protection Mode". I'm just curious to know what signs to look for.

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:43 PM
orthorep
Intermediate

09 fat bob, yes it started popping on deccell with the xide after roughly 1100 miles. I was told this could be from an intake leak, however after installing pciii, no more codes, cooler more power.

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:54 PM
drharley
Cruiser

And how do you explain the gurus from American iron Magazine who flatly state that the current O2'd Touring Harley can deal with pipes and aircleaner without anything extra, not a Stage I download, PCIII, or even XiED's.

Old 08-13-2008 | 08:02 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by drharley
And how do you explain the gurus from American iron Magazine who flatly state that the current O2'd Touring Harley can deal with pipes and aircleaner without anything extra, not a Stage I download, PCIII, or even XiED's.
And I have some land for you in southeastern CA that has an ocean front view too. Look, the system has some correction area it can make adjustments in but when you go to far its out of range. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not.

When the ECM detects various issues because of trouble codes it will make decisions on what is safest for the motor so it's not always the same decision. It based on the conditions your in and the trouble codes that are set. One also needs to remember that not all bikes are the same, you have federal emissions, Clean state emissions, European emission, ect. The term "Protection" was used as a general name not a particular pre-named mode that follows some fixed rules.

It sounds to me that the original IED did work for some but the XIED units are pushing the system too far and they are getting caught. I think you just need to limit how far you try to push it. If they work for you and your happy great if not you've got an E-bay item.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test