Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:10 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

I've spent a fair amount of time in this thread trying to offer evidence, by way of explanation how our system works, that putting on other breathing parts really makes it necessary to revamp your fuel/timing settings specifically for the changes (that AIM article is just plain wrong and I would never do what they did, except maybe riding very casually to the dyno to get the maps changed). If you alter both the parts and the maps for them, you will have no need whatsoever for these devices. Also, I've said that the extreme IEDs use the O2 sensors out-of-range.

Steve Cole shows up and says in very basic terms the exact same things. He is one of the developers of what H-D sold as the SERT. Look back over the last few days and read very carefully what he has said. See also the "EFI 101" thread. He doesn't fill his posts with technical argument. He just states the facts. Initially I was glad to be vindicated, but my current feelings about this are mainly hopes that some of you will take it to heart now. It takes a fair amount of time to put more technical stuff into the posts and it proves to be largely ineffective anyway. I guess in retrospect I can't blame him for being so terse.

Last edited by glens; 08-13-2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-13-2008 | 09:29 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Im posting, to try and get my email alerts, to work again.

Old 08-13-2008 | 09:29 AM
elpoman
Advanced

Well is seems the forum is still screwed up. I'm not getting my email alerts, and it take forever for post to get downloaded.

Last edited by elpoman; 08-13-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: to delete a second post
Old 08-13-2008 | 10:52 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Whittlebeast logs clearly show the problem with the XIED installed on his bike. Is anyone not looking at the data there? The log on the left shows the O2 switching as it should in stock form. Note that it shifts above and below the center point on the graph. Then look at the center one and the one on the right. you can clearly see the shift caused by the XIED but if he had bothered to pay attention you can also clearly see that the shift has cause the output to hit the upper limit of the system! It's nowhere close to being centered and the system will detect this and set codes for it.

Look guys if you have a lean run condition they are going to help if you do not then your not going to see much if any improvement. These devices only cause a one way shift in the system (richen) and in most cases that is not what the engine needs to see. Read this thread along with all the others on this on the net and your going to find the same thing over and over again. When you change the airflow through the motor as you do with an A/C and exhaust your going to need something more than this if you want to get all the gains you can have.

Old 08-13-2008 | 10:52 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior

Have been running the XiED's since the spring of this year. I am completely satisfied with their performance . I have a k-n filter w/se slipons , and stock motor. No, they do not allow my 96 ci. motor to run as cool as my 80 ci. evo ...but I didn't expect that when I purchased them. Does my motorcycle perform better than prior to install... definitely YES. Was it a good investment ....again YES! And a BIG THANKS for the technical knowledge posted in this thread and occasionally thru-out this forum!

Old 08-13-2008 | 11:14 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Steve, If you're NOT changing the air flow through the motor and only adding slip on's, with out the Air Cleaner, what is the harm?? I do understand your statement, "When you change the airflow through the motor as you do with an A/C and exhaust your going to need something more than this if you want to get all the gains you can have." I too believe when changing both components, adjustment should be made to maximize the benefits of the mods done, otherwise why throw your $$ away.

Old 08-13-2008 | 11:28 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Blockhead96

Think of it like this, if your going to take a dump and your forced to do it through a 1/4" straw or a 10" pipe which do you think will allow more flow? Just remember what comes in must go out. Slip-ons are the 10" pipe and stock mufflers are the 1/4" straw. All of this is a balancing act and if you hit it right your happy, if not you have a mess.

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:15 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

To Reiterate the codes only persist when the XIED's are placed in the system. I do not receive any fault codes when the they are removed; well with the exception of the 444 code that I'm having to see the dealer for.

Originally Posted by TexasVet
So to correct the code is to remove the XIED's? I have checked my exhaust system and even placed high temp silicon at all the connections and still the 131 & 151 codes persist.

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:26 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

might be a dumm question - whats closed loop and open loop mean ?

Old 08-13-2008 | 12:44 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by papifun
might be a dumm question - whats closed loop and open loop mean ?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignition-tuner-ecm-fuel-injection/262859-efi-101-a.html

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test