Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:21 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Steve, how does the engine react in protection mode?
I believe Steve at nightrider calls this limp-home mode, or something similar. It's a "failsafe" over-rich setting.

By the way, did you notice yesterday (maybe the day before, now) where Steve had said what I have been saying all along? Seems the corner you said I was in all by myself is getting a little crowded...

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:41 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Where do you pull codes from and where can I get the code reader??

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:26 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Where do you pull codes from and where can I get the code reader??
Follow this link:
http://personal.linkline.com/cdesigns/Error%20Codes.pdf

Jim

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:46 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser

271 pages and what have we learned???
Works on some bikes and not so well on others.
Some bikes throw codes with them installed and some don't.
Some say the codes are a bad thing and some say they don't matter.
Rider57 says the ieds/xied's have no effect on open loop and glens and now steve cole says it does.
And Nightrider says nothing either way.
Some say it makes the bike run too rich (my case) and others say too rich don't hurt anything.
Some say it runs cooler and others say no difference.
And most importantly... has anybody actually tested them on a dyno at different throttle openings on a bone stock bike to see what the AFR values actually are and if they actually effect the open loop? .... Without searching back 270 pages to look again.

Jim

Old 08-13-2008 | 01:58 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by laytonj1
Thank you!

Old 08-13-2008 | 02:01 AM
CR
Advanced

Dyno sheets posted before. Bike is stock Road King CVO 08 with XIED's from new. WOT test and 2,5 volt throttle. As stated in earlier posts I we also tested at constant speeds under load to simulate road conditions. AFR was approximately 13,8 with a spike due to opening and closing of exhaust valve (international model). Did not get presentable print-outs from testing at constant speeds.

Attached Thumbnails  Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test-2-5-volt-throttle.jpg    Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test-dyno-wot-stockcvo08-xied-s.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008 | 02:04 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by laytonj1
271 pages and what have we learned???
Works on some bikes and not so well on others.
Some bikes throw codes with them installed and some don't.
Some say the codes are a bad thing and some say they don't matter.
Rider57 says the ieds/xied's have no effect on open loop and glens and now steve cole says it does.
And Nightrider says nothing either way.
Some say it makes the bike run too rich (my case) and others say too rich don't hurt anything.
Some say it runs cooler and others say no difference.
And most importantly... has anybody actually tested them on a dyno at different throttle openings on a bone stock bike to see what the AFR values actually are and if they actually effect the open loop? .... Without searching back 270 pages to look again.

Jim

We have a winner!

It's all a crap shoot, be it IED's or fuler's, one thing for certain, you will hear from no one defending or explaining their product.

Old 08-13-2008 | 02:24 AM
CR
Advanced

Actually it is not a crap shoot. Look a the dyno! I am from Europe and have no relationship with Nightrider whatsoever, but I bought his XIED's after I read about heat and lean burn problems with the 110's. I inquired about various products such as PCIII, ThunderMAx SERT and others, but backed off because almost everybody told me a different story. I decided to keep the bike stock to begin with and take the XIED's as a kind of insurance. The bike has approximately 1750 miles on it (sometimes relaxed cruising but also longer 120 mph stretches on the "autobahns"). Since the American Iron article about the S&S quick tuning kit wich stated that the ECM can adapt to a mild tune (AC and slip-ons), I have decided to try an AC upgrade with the XIED's. It will be installed shortly and I will post the dyno results here. Personally I do not understand the quarreling in this thread. The only issue is whether the XIED's are too rich in open loop. The tests that have been done (Rider57 Whittlebeast, mine) all show that it is not. Glens states the opposite from a more theoretical perspective. All I know is that my bike runs very well and does not have any problems untill now.

Old 08-13-2008 | 05:48 AM
09fatbob
Cruiser

09 Fatbob xied installed 8-11-08, WOW, WOW, WOW I hope the preformance stays the same after the install of v&h big radius an a k&n air filter

Old 08-13-2008 | 06:00 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Looking at my logs it is easy to see that the stock dithering algarithem is still getting leaner than 14.7 with the ViEDs. The osolating pulse width change would indicate an AFR swing of about 1 AFR or down to about 13.7

see http://www.ncs-stl.com/XIED/StockVsXiedVsAdj.jpg

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test