Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 05:05 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasVet
I have a peculiar problem with my scoot. I have the famous 131 & 151 codes. But I also have a code 444? Anyone have any idea what this code means? I am running the XIED's on the bike. Thanks in advance.
P0444 Purge Solenoid Open/Low

Don't ask me what it means??

Old 08-12-2008 | 05:30 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
I wonder what the history of your Bike is nevil. With 400 miles on it, it sounds like someone traded it in on another. No telling what the first owner did to the bike. I would ask for the dealer to reprogram the ECU with the original stock map. 36 mpg is not the mileage of a typical new stock bike. That would indicate a possible overly rich condition, but the popping and surging are both signs of a lean condition. They need to make your Bike right for you. I hope everything goes well when you take it back.

Every bike/motor is different, I didn't break 40 MPG till over 1000 miles on the clock! So, 30+ mpg on a new bike isn't uncommon, as I have spoke to many other riders and that was combo freeway town miles. Once again, surge is a common well known issue with these newer EPA bikes!

BTW, where can you get a code reader for these bikes and where do you plug them in?

Old 08-12-2008 | 05:53 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I wonder what the history of your Bike is nevil. With 400 miles on it, it sounds like someone traded it in on another. No telling what the first owner did to the bike. I would ask for the dealer to reprogram the ECU with the original stock map. 36 mpg is not the mileage of a typical new stock bike. That would indicate a possible overly rich condition, but the popping and surging are both signs of a lean condition. They need to make your Bike right for you. I hope everything goes well when you take it back.
Actually, I bought it privately-the original owner traded his Road King on it, then set it up
for 2-up riding for him and his wife. She got pregnant soon after, and that was the end of that. It sounded plausible and I could tell he was pretty upset he had to sell. I sold bikes and cars for 20 years and heard all the stories and I believed the guy. Hey, maybe he was a great actor but at least it's under warranty until 9/09. I'll ask that they reprogram the ECU adn see what happens.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:02 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

Thanks Cruiser.

Guess it's time to see the dealer, I wonder if this is why my fuel mileage has been in the low 30's?

P0444 Purge Solenoid Open/Low

Don't ask me what it means??

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:38 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Guys if your setting lean codes then the ECM goes into protection mode. It's not a big deal but it let's you know the system cannot handle the changes your making and that's not a good thing to do. You are chasing your tail if it sets codes and you do nothing to correct it.

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:22 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

So to correct the code is to remove the XIED's? I have checked my exhaust system and even placed high temp silicon at all the connections and still the 131 & 151 codes persist.

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Guys if your setting lean codes then the ECM goes into protection mode. It's not a big deal but it let's you know the system cannot handle the changes your making and that's not a good thing to do. You are chasing your tail if it sets codes and you do nothing to correct it.

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:33 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasVet
So to correct the code is to remove the XIED's? I have checked my exhaust system and even placed high temp silicon at all the connections and still the 131 & 151 codes persist.
Your best bet is to call Steve at Nightriders. He's been dealing with the codes now for a while.

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:35 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Steve, how does the engine react in protection mode?

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:48 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced

Steve, could you please expand on this?

Old 08-12-2008 | 10:15 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

texasVet - i have same problem as yourself. I put XIED;s since my bik was new in Jun 2008. I removed them after 1400km and will ride without to feel differance till my first oil change and HD inspection. I had the error codes and after reset, they would randomly show up. keep me posted if u here from Steve.

I notice without the XIED;s , the exhaust is not as loud and throttle response has a delay, more lame compared with the XIED;'s on. I reset my codes and will see if dealer comments. I was told HD dealer can still see history of error codes even if i wipe them out.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test