Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008 | 05:19 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

You all have hit on a intristic issue with the ECU. By using the IED or resistors (20K and 10K) you do fool the ECU into providing a richer mix. The relocation of the IAT has some effect in that it sends the current temp as it sees it to the ECU saying, in effect, the engine is cold. Remember, the OEM calibration is what itwas looking at when new and that has'nt changed. When we changed what the ECU sees from the O2 sensors, it compares that with what the IAT sees. It compares both and the result is a richer mix.
We put our fingers in the pie. Since then, the whole system says"feed it more".
I tested this all on a state certified emissions test set. It works for me and I am satisfied with the results. Quicker throttle, cooler exhaust, lost 2 to 3 MPG.
I was trying to save my engine from the heat issue. I did that. (edited) One other thing I looked at was trying to save some bucks. I DID do that.

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:35 PM
donk_316
Road Master

I feel like a bit of a **** comin in here and crappin on your ideas. I do appologize for that.

This idea just seems so "simple" to actually work. But it looks like it could work. Im leaning on 75% to the positive on this item. lol

Old 03-03-2008 | 07:58 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

That's 75% more than an hour ago. We're making progress.

Old 03-03-2008 | 09:46 PM
smokin
Cruiser

Let me be the cheap a** looking one of the group
I do not doubt for a minute, that given $2500 of aftermarket parts that we could all get more HP out of our motorcyles
The question is........if you're basically pretty happy with the HP and torque and simply want the bike to run a little smoother and
produce a little less heat.........do you still need to spend Thousands of $$ for bragging rights at the local Rootbeer Stand?
My first HD Big Twin was only 72 CI and had about 45 HP. Now a 96 CI / FI / 6 speed seems pretty cool to me, just wanted the d*mn thing to sound like my older Harleys and put off less heat. IED - Mission Accomplished.
If I ever get the urge to do the 103 kit or cams - YES - I will invest in the SERT and hours on the dyno. But not quite ready for that yet
We need someone to strap down on the dyno with a exhaust gas sniffer and find out how the IED's really impact AFR throughout the whole range. Closed / Open / idle / cruise / WOT ?
Just remember - There's no place like chrome.
-Smokin

2008 SG Supertrapps / SEAC / IED - new - 100 miles
1997 FLSTS - SEAC / Slipons / SE Module----40,000 miles
1982 BMW R65 - Bone Stock - 40,000 miles
2005 21 HP Yardman 48 inch lawn tractor - thinking about a turbo for it though!

Old 03-04-2008 | 12:17 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

I haven't even ridden my new Harley yet and I've learned a ton of stuff about how it works from you guys. Thanks. By the way, that high pitched sqealing noise you hear is my head as it's about to explode (with knowledge and maybe some confusion too)
Joe

Old 03-04-2008 | 12:30 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Smokin, Rider57 has been monitoring his results with an AFR gauge. I think one other test pilot up here had his Bike dynoed as well.

Old 03-04-2008 | 01:58 AM
heywood727
Road Master

That's pretty much how I understand it. I think I said the same thing a page or two back.

Let say:

Stock......AFR 14.7

Pipes and Stage 1 A/C without Download........15.1(est.)

Pipes, Stage 1 with download.......14.7

Pipes, Stage 1 with download and IED's.........14.1

The numbers are just a guess, but for an example....this will do.
So in layman terms I'll stand by this.........

And with the Stock A/C back on

I don't know?? I thought it was to be true that it could only get 14.1 in a closed loop config.?? Did you try it cruiser? I wouldn't think so? It might think it's too rich and put you right back at 14.1 (or what the ECM thinks is 14.7)

That's what I think will happen.
This is all happening in the closed loop mode until you get to over (what is it..65 - 75% throttle)?? It seems the AFR is all throttle based.

As far as I'm concerned, if I can get the bike to run smoother and cooler in my everyday driving mode... for the price...all the better. If losing 2 mpg is the trade off and I'm worried about that, I'd be driving a Primus or Suzuki Swift.

Even if it only gave me 20 degree's cooler....for $70/80...I win. We all get to screw with the EPA and thumb our noses at them a bit.

I think this is one of the best little mods for the everyday guy to do considering the cost of the Granted, better systems to do it. I've looked at the cost as well. Just in my neck of the woods without ordering on line.

Cobra FI2000.......$295

TV II....... $600

Thundermax.....$950

SERT....$1000

PC III......????

Granted on the more expensive ones, you have lots of options, but I'm not in search of that extra 1/10th in the 1/4. Some aren't even available for the 08's yet. I've got a very narrow riding window here so I don't want to spend my weekends and evenings on the laptop or dyno shop finding the magic tune.....I just want to ride and protect my investment.

Old 03-04-2008 | 02:25 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: donk_316

I feel like a bit of a **** comin in here and crappin on your ideas. I do appologize for that.

This idea just seems so "simple" to actually work. But it looks like it could work. Im leaning on 75% to the positive on this item. lol
You can meet me at Timmies on Whyte and make up for it..

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:27 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

I love this thread.....

Old 03-04-2008 | 07:33 AM
donk_316
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heywood727

ORIGINAL: donk_316

You can meet me at Timmies on Whyte and make up for it..
haha! Oh dont worry, ill assume my position as soon as the weather smartens up!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test