Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 09:57 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Blockhead96

I would not think raising the tank is going to do much. The airflow you need to get directed is at the front of the engine. Anything you can do to get the air coming across the engine is going to be a help. By raising the tank I would think it just let more heat out up towards the rider.

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:06 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Cruiser, I don't lug the motor in any gear. So, none of this is really flying! Getting it scheduled for this week.

Steve Cole, I've even raised my gas tank with the 2" lift, also in hopes of this somehow helping, NADA! Same situations!
Good Luck Blockhead, I hope your dealer gets it fixed for you.

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:08 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by tomahauck
Cruiser,
I finally returned from vacation and swapped my IEDs for the XIEDS, I to am a happy customer, my bike has never ran better. What I difference. I am sendind My IEDs to a friend who also has an 07 Ultra so he can try them out. I will let you know the outcome.
Tom
That's good news Tom. Glad it's working out for you so good.

Just a Happy Customer,

Dave

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:38 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Blockhead96

I would not think raising the tank is going to do much. The airflow you need to get directed is at the front of the engine. Anything you can do to get the air coming across the engine is going to be a help. By raising the tank I would think it just let more heat out up towards the rider.
Actually, I believe the tank lift is beneficial for more air flow over that engine. Before the lift, you couldn't put your hand up and on top of that front cylinder, now I can and it exposes the vast majority of the rocker cover. Added benefit now is, it can be cleaned! IMO, the lift makes the engine more visible which makes for overall aesthetics of the bike appealing. Now you can pretty much see the whole engine.

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rider57
Go back to stock. One step at a time there, nevil. 1st put the Xieds on, run it for 200 miles or so. Next put the slipons back on, run it another 200 miles or so. Note the changes. Then add the FuelPak. Again, note any changes.
Where ever the change happens, that last add on probably caused it.
Report back and let us know.
It's time to get back to you. I've put a couple of hundred miles on the bike with everything stock except the xieds. Since the problems did not go away I didn't think it necessary to go any further and install the pipes, etc. There is still some decel pop, although it's hard to hear with the stock mufflers. But there is definitely still a backfire which occurs when I roll off at higher rpm's. For example I can wind it out in 2nd to about 45 mph and back it off and 3 out of 4 times will get a backfire. Same thing will happen in 1st. 3rd gear is hard to tell due to wind noise. The bike can run for as little as 1 mile, or like the other day I went 75 miles straight. There is slight surging at steady throttle at mid rpm's. Mileage went up to 36 from 33. Yesterday I did 20 mi. and the symptoms were a little less but the temp was 65, about 20 degrees lower than usual.
It doesn't seem it's possible that the xieds have something to do with this, but I can remove them and ride some more. Or, I can take it to another dealer with less of an attitude and just play dumb (my specialty) and see if they can diagnose it. Of course I will remove the xieds and clear the lean codes. What do you think?

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
It's time to get back to you. I've put a couple of hundred miles on the bike with everything stock except the xieds. Since the problems did not go away I didn't think it necessary to go any further and install the pipes, etc. There is still some decel pop, although it's hard to hear with the stock mufflers. But there is definitely still a backfire which occurs when I roll off at higher rpm's. For example I can wind it out in 2nd to about 45 mph and back it off and 3 out of 4 times will get a backfire. Same thing will happen in 1st. 3rd gear is hard to tell due to wind noise. The bike can run for as little as 1 mile, or like the other day I went 75 miles straight. There is slight surging at steady throttle at mid rpm's. Mileage went up to 36 from 33. Yesterday I did 20 mi. and the symptoms were a little less but the temp was 65, about 20 degrees lower than usual.
It doesn't seem it's possible that the xieds have something to do with this, but I can remove them and ride some more. Or, I can take it to another dealer with less of an attitude and just play dumb (my specialty) and see if they can diagnose it. Of course I will remove the xieds and clear the lean codes. What do you think?
Nevil I would follow plan B and take it to another dealer. Your low fuel mileage and the surging tell me something else is wrong. Did you run it stock without the XIED's?

Old 08-12-2008 | 03:32 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Obviously issues with stock configuration. Your bike is still under warranty, I would ask the dealer to re program the stock ECM, this means stock values are all returned to normal, then test it. After they do the Parade Mode program on mine this Thursday, I too will request a re program of the ECM if PM doesn't help my ping. You have the Fuel Pack, I would call V&H to tell them what's going on and request another program for your situation. It's a start. Obviously your system is still to lean. The only problem I see with any aftermarket fueler is, the time it will take, trial and error, to find a program that works for your ride! Also, surging is a very common situation with these engines!

Last edited by BlockHead96; 08-12-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2008 | 04:07 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Nevil I would follow plan B and take it to another dealer. Your low fuel mileage and the surging tell me something else is wrong. Did you run it stock without the XIED's?
My mileage was always this low since I bought the bike. It had 400 mi. and was bone stock. I have not run it stock without the ieds but was going to pull them today and ride through the weekend and see. I would be really surprised if that makes a difference but it sure can't hurt. There is a dealer near me that I go to for parts and everyone seems like they're in a good mood and willing to chat, so my hope is the service dept. follows suit. (At the dealer I used before, I was in the customer waiting area and a tech had a problem with a vending machine and proceeded to kick it and swear at it! What do they do to your bike when nobody is looking?) Thanks for the advice and I will let you know the outcome.

Old 08-12-2008 | 04:20 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

I have a peculiar problem with my scoot. I have the famous 131 & 151 codes. But I also have a code 444? Anyone have any idea what this code means? I am running the XIED's on the bike. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2008 | 04:59 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by nevil
My mileage was always this low since I bought the bike. It had 400 mi. and was bone stock. I have not run it stock without the ieds but was going to pull them today and ride through the weekend and see. I would be really surprised if that makes a difference but it sure can't hurt. There is a dealer near me that I go to for parts and everyone seems like they're in a good mood and willing to chat, so my hope is the service dept. follows suit. (At the dealer I used before, I was in the customer waiting area and a tech had a problem with a vending machine and proceeded to kick it and swear at it! What do they do to your bike when nobody is looking?) Thanks for the advice and I will let you know the outcome.
I wonder what the history of your Bike is nevil. With 400 miles on it, it sounds like someone traded it in on another. No telling what the first owner did to the bike. I would ask for the dealer to reprogram the ECU with the original stock map. 36 mpg is not the mileage of a typical new stock bike. That would indicate a possible overly rich condition, but the popping and surging are both signs of a lean condition. They need to make your Bike right for you. I hope everything goes well when you take it back.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test