Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:52 PM
btdowney
6th Gear
Default Some Improvement

I am impressed with the many technical posts in this thread. But not being a full-time mechanic or having a degree in engineering, they are pretty much over my head.

I must base my comments on what I can see and feel. Both bikes I describe below are stock except for the addition of the IED’s.

First, I have an 07 UC. With RJ’s heat shields and synthetic oil, the bike ran somewhat cooler for me, but not enough so that a passenger would spend more than a half hour on the back of the bike. Sixth gear was unusable below 60MPH and the bike hesitated slightly in some instances.

With the IED’s, my occasional passenger is comfortable, (which would tell me the heat is somewhat lower) the minor hesitation is gone and I can roll on from 55MPH in sixth with no lugging or other issues.

Now, my wife recently got her first new bike, an 08 UC. I added RJ’s heat shields immediately. My wife could tolerate the bike in chaps, but not without. Her bike showed no hesitation but sixth gear was useless unless you were above 60MPH. At the 1k service, we added synthetic oil. She road the bike and noticed some difference in the heat, but sixth gear remained an issue.

At this point we added the XIED’s and we had more good results. Slightly less heat (chaps not required) and sixth gear much more useable.

My limited mechanic skills allow me to check spark plugs for color, etc. They are properly gapped, and the correct color. The bike is neither lean nor rich, at least from the physical signs I can see and they both perform better than before.

This is my personal experience with the product. Your views/experience may differ. Such is life.

Thanks
Brian

Old 08-11-2008 | 03:18 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Blockhead that is an old post, just like this thread which was started months ago. I share a good thing with my friends, I don't keep it secret. Obviously by the last couple of posts up here other people share my view also. For some it just happens to work very well.

I'm just a Happy Customer...

Old 08-11-2008 | 03:51 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I may try my EXIDE's again once the dealer thinks they have control over my ping issues. I hope to take it in this week and get this ball rolling.. For now, it's wait and see.

Old 08-11-2008 | 04:05 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Blockhead, you may want to try riding your Bike at higher rpm's. Shifting in the low 2000's is too low for these engines. I would shift no less than 2500. Cruising between 2500 and 3000 is healthy for the motor.

I noticed when I first bought my SG there were a lot of threads up here complianing about tranny noise and pinging. I never experienced those things. I typically run my bike at higher rpms and suspect that my lack of noise was due to not lugging the engine too low.

The Rev limiter is set beyond 5000 rpms. These engines like to run at higher rpms.

Try running yours no less than 2500 rpm's and see if it doesn't make a difference.

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:19 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

While in town driving I always ride between 23-2700R's, I don't think that's low at all. Regardless, when twist and go happens, it should not ping, plain and simple. If anything, maybe a stumble, and it doesn't do that. I will try winding it up a bit more before a shift, but you can't always ride in a perfect scenario or situation.. When you are in a desired gear and not lugging that gear, then need the power for whatever reason, it shouldn't ping!

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:39 PM
MindfulRider
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Look guys anyone looking for some magic temperature drop is not going to see much. I do not know how rich the IED or XIED is forcing the mixture but I can tell you if they try to go much more than 14.2:1 there are going to be other issues.
Steve, I raised the same issue in the XLForum (here). I'm certainly not wanting to knock these devices, just point out that YMMV, literally. Adding a bit of fuel (3%-6%+ depending on model) will help cover up lean issues, at the expense of excess, but harmless, fuel in other areas of the current map. My lingering concern is not knowing where it may be running too rich. If the mostly rich enough open loop is affected by the IED-forced rich closed loop, could this become a problem?

My guess is that it's a quick & dirty solution to lean problems that will work for many, but not all. There seems to be so much variability between machines that one doesn't know until one tries.

Last edited by MindfulRider; 08-11-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 08-11-2008 | 05:42 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
While in town driving I always ride between 23-2700R's, I don't think that's low at all. Regardless, when twist and go happens, it should not ping, plain and simple. If anything, maybe a stumble, and it doesn't do that. I will try winding it up a bit more before a shift, but you can't always ride in a perfect scenario or situation.. When you are in a desired gear and not lugging that gear, then need the power for whatever reason, it shouldn't ping!
Its no different than a car with a manual transmission. Put the car in too high of a gear when it isn't moving fast enough and mash the gas and the engine will ping.

Just try an experiment when you get it back and run it higher than you normally would and see it if changes anything. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:35 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

As I stated before this is nothing new and was done on the car side long ago. The big difference between a car ECM's and the way the HD ECM works is the learned information from a HD system is applied in both open and closed loop operation. What that means is the shift that is done during closed loop will cause the adaptive fuel values to change. The only way to do this is by telling the ECM it's to lean then the ECM will push it richer until it thinks it's got the proper mixture. This may help and it may hurt it all depends on the combination you have. If it only move 6% the ECM adaptive cells will be able to adjust for it but it will be 6% richer everywhere the closed loop learned. Depending on the bike's calibration this could be a small area or a large area. Since all the calibrations are different these will effect each calibration differently. The Sportster (XL), Touring, Dyna, Vrod all have different closed loop areas so the effects will be different. We have run tests with the bikes at 14.68 Vs 14.2 and found only a slight change in engine temperatures. The main deal with engine temperatures is airflow across the motor and anything you do to help that will have much more of an effect than the slight mixture change your getting with these.

Old 08-11-2008 | 11:33 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Cruiser, I don't lug the motor in any gear. So, none of this is really flying! Getting it scheduled for this week.

Steve Cole, I've even raised my gas tank with the 2" lift, also in hopes of this somehow helping, NADA! Same situations!

Old 08-12-2008 | 06:15 AM
tomahauck
Novice

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
Bikegar I will admit that I was a little carried away in the beginning, but I don't own them nor do I make any commission off of them. I am a Happy Customer, that is all.

You have to know my history to understand my excitement in the beginning. I bought an 07 Wide Glide that was a nightmare for me. I can't blame it on the Bike or the Moco. It was the dealers I dealt with. From the 1st 1000 mile service I encountered nothing but problems all caused by the dealer. They talked me into a Cobra TI2000 fuel mngt unit and put the wrong part on my bike. It ran horrible for weeks while I argued with them that something was wrong. Finally I did my own research and found the part number belonged on a different bike from an earlier year that didn't even have 02 sensors. I had to have Cobra call the dealer and tell them to take the unit off it was the wrong part. My saga continues and I'll give you the short version. Every time I left the dealer I had a new problem created by them. The final straw was when they dropped my bike off the lift with just an oil change.

I got rid of that bike and traded it on my present 07 Street Glide. After trying five different fuel mngt units on my first bike I was very hesitant to go through all that again. Then I talked to Steve at Nightriders and he convinced me to try his IED. It was so simple and I didn't need the dealer to screw it up. For me it worked great from the beginning. I loved the way my bike ran. I thought there must be others who could benefit from such a simple fix. Thus I started the thread.

I think if you put yourself in my shoes and imagine the horrible experience I had, you can understand my later excitement.

Like I said, I am just a Happy Customer.
Cruiser,
I finally returned from vacation and swapped my IEDs for the XIEDS, I to am a happy customer, my bike has never ran better. What I difference. I am sendind My IEDs to a friend who also has an 07 Ultra so he can try them out. I will let you know the outcome.
Tom

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test