Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:18 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

I had around 3500 mile on my stock 08 before putting the IEDS on and never had any detonation problems except in high heat and traffic and that was just when accelerating from a stop. I just got back from a 2600 mile trip to Canada riding up mountains and such and never had a detonation problem. Sounds like something is wrong with your bike.

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:37 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Look guys anyone looking for some magic temperature drop is not going to see much. I do not know how rich the IED or XIED is forcing the mixture but I can tell you if they try to go much more than 14.2:1 there are going to be other issues. The temperature difference between 14.6 and 14.2 is only slight and may not be felt by everyone. Fooling the O2 sensor has been around for years but they have there limits just as everything else does. If your bike needs to be richened up this may work for you but if it needs to richer in some areas and leaner in others which is what happens when you change the A/C and mufflers on a HD I do not think it's going to help. The ECM is going to try and adjust for the offset caused by the IED or XIED and as long as it can things will be fine but if you get into a case where is cannot your going to have issues. One thing that needs to be done when installing these to check them out would be to go to a dealer and have the AFV reset, then install the unit. This will get you at least a fighting chance to see if they help.

Old 08-10-2008 | 05:23 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't see how "Parade Mode" will help with this situation. If the rear cylinder is shut down at idle, how does this help with detonation/ping when you are already rolling and grabbing gears??? This doesn't make sense to me, can anyone explain the logic?

Old 08-10-2008 | 10:52 PM
MotorMedic
Advanced
Thumbs up

[QUOTE=LoMax;3715952]Rear cylinder shut down? I suppose he will install the 'parade duty mode', so the bike will change some things when the engine gets too hot when idling. Dealers in Belgium activate that option for free, at least the first time. That is what they tell their clients anyway. I thought it was already activated when leaving the factory, not a gadget that should be programmed. And when she goes into parade duty mode, that means you should have shut her down 5 minutes ago.

LoMax, the EITMS (or parade mode) is disabled when shipped from the factory. I can't speak for others, but on my 08 EGC, you can turn it on or off yourself. The instructions are on page 140 of my manual. No need to have the dealer do it. I'm still running my IEDS and my bike runs better, feels cooler, and is better than the day I bought it

Old 08-10-2008 | 11:05 PM
SoCal Ultra
Advanced
Default Engine Ping

Blockhead...I have an 07 Ultra and ride here in So. Cal. When I first got my bike I was riding it like my 98 Evo Heritage, you can't short shift these new motors. I keep my RPMs up in the 3k range and regularly shift at 3500-4000 this made a big difference on engine ping. The dealer had put in a cooler plug as well. I purchased the IED's a few weeks ago, put back the stock plug and have ridden about 500 miles so far. The heat isn't much different but I can tell a difference when cruising. Before if I dropped below 3000 RPM I would get some small ping, now that doesn't happen unless I lug it down in the 2200 range. Try adjusting your shifting style a bit, it made a big difference for me. Good Luck...

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:34 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm already above 2300 R's when I want to grab more go and usually in at least 3rd gear. Twist it hard in 3rd at 2300 and she pings. I will try the different shifting at higher R's as you suggest and see what happens.

Old 08-11-2008 | 02:39 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

It takes me about 10 minutes to hit normal operating temperatures so 25 miles seems plenty. I, of course, am assuming the temperature sensor in the head is placed where it gives the most relevant reading.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:01 AM
dlwilson72
Cruiser

Hello fellows. This is a great thread and I've learned a lot from it. I ride an 08 Superglide and installed the XIEDS about a week ago. Installed a SE air kit and am expecting some Vance&Himes Straightshop slip-ons today. My bike with the XIEDS runs a lot smoother and it seems like the heat from the engine is a little less. Don't have any temperature devices to really check but it sure feels cooler when I'm riding. I'm not a racer and not into speed, just a cruiser. I'm pleased with the XIEDs. Thanks for sharing all of your knowledge.

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:32 AM
djhrln
Cruiser

So, I buy and 08 EGC and it can't pull it's own weight under 3000 rpm. I then buy an SE A/C and Fuelpak. It stumbles off idle and runs rougher at all engine speeds. I return to stock and try to get used to running 3k and above. I see this thread and decide to try the XIED's. Now I have decent power from 2300 rpm and above. It cruises steady, no surging and I can even use 6th gear. Now I hear I may have "issues". Only issue I have is that I can't retire yet and ride this thing every day.
I see guys with SERT/DYNO tuning, PCIII, Fuelpak, etc. also have "issues". I'm happy with the way the bike runs now, and I'm staying with the XIED's. Maybe it's not right for everybody's riding style, but it sure works for me.

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:31 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test