Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008 | 03:16 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

OK 09 fatbob v&h big radius, scearm'in eagle air cleaner kit Xied plug and play.My riding style is basic tool'in around, then when i need an aggressive approach to a situation i expect my bike to respond. i also take about 1000 mile trips for over 4day period 2 times a year and expect this bike to handle 60 to 80 mph cruising.so al i am asking is xied does not need a pcIII or fuel pack to have yhis run well!

Old 08-08-2008 | 03:21 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

glens are you assuming that the assumptions r a bad thing in your explaination? k.i.s.s. comes to mind here and it seems the xied have done this?

Old 08-08-2008 | 04:11 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Bob;
I think Glen was trying to caution you about using multiple tuning devices. While IED's and some piggyback controllers can work quite seemlessly, there are combinations that take a little more work. You "might" get yourself in akward tuning situations that are difficult for the average mechanic/shop to resolve. Most of these combinations can be tuned fairly easily with some basic knowledge. But finding knowledgeable and experienced EFI tuners can be a lot more difficult than one might think.

So no matter what direction you decide to go with the upgrades, the further ahead you can plan, the simpler your life might be in the long run.

Old 08-08-2008 | 04:15 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Thank you sp I'm am going to run the xied and after market exhaust with air cleaner i feel this is best for what i'm attempting 2 do. i just wanted someone to say you don't need both in plain english. if the xied don't work then go with a piggyback of some type.again thanks

Old 08-08-2008 | 04:27 PM
spmullen
Advanced

As the principal of Nightrider, I try not to overtly recommend for or against the IED's in this forum thread. The forum should be primarily driven by other users of the product. However I will occasionally offer comments and try to establish alternative thoughts without being overly biased. I hope that is what you take away from my messages.
Good luck with your bike!

Old 08-08-2008 | 04:36 PM
09fatbob
Cruiser

Thanks to all 4 your honest advice. like i stated just want the bike 2 run good and no mumbo jumbo voodoo stuff. seems that nightrider may have corrected a problem i'll let u all know again thanks look'in 4ward 2 your product Steve

Old 08-08-2008 | 06:25 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Not quoted here, but you'd previously asked me if the PC-III was a piggyback. Yes. It is. It's function in that role is to properly allow the stock computer to continue thinking it is still working with the stock breathing parts, even though the stock parts flow quite differently from what you want to put on. What you want to put on requires different fueling calculations to be made if you want them to be correct. The piggyback (in this case the PC-III, which is really the only such device I even like) will, when properly set up, complete the calculations when the stock computer is done with them. Again, the stock computer would be making wrong calculations because it is not programmed for those parts, but the piggyback will correct them before the fuel injectors see the results.

You will also need timing changes with those breathing parts, and the PC-III (again, so far as I know at this time, it's the only such unit which has that ability) will be able to do those for you as well.

Originally Posted by 09fatbob
glens are you assuming that the assumptions r a bad thing in your explaination? k.i.s.s. comes to mind here and it seems the xied have done this?
Yes and no. In my humble opinion, more no than yes.

The assumptions I was referring to are for the heavy-throttle, higher-rpm areas of engine operation. The stock computer can check its calculations for correctness in all but those areas. Any changes it sees it needs to make (maybe you have a really dirty air filter, or crappy oxygenated gas, etc.) for the cruising areas of operation, it will apply as well to the areas it cannot check on itself. Basically assumptions. They should be correct if the reason the calculations were wrong down low also pertain the same to the calculations which will get made up high, like they would be in those two examples given.

If the reason the calculations were wrong down low is because there are different parts than the computer thinks there is, then for the "assumptions" to be correct, the parts must also flow differently the same for all engine-running areas. This most usually is not the case. I'd venture to guess it would be very, very rare to have it be the case where flow changes proportionately in the way it would need to for the calculations to all remain correct without re-programming somehow. I'm pretty sure you will not get anyone to knowlegably disagree with me on that point.

The main point of contention present in this thread is whether these "assumptions" I'm speaking of really get made. Some say they don't. I say they do. I have repeated a scenario where they cause problems and have repeated curing them, so I remain unconvinced they do not occur. Now if someone were to provide me with suitable documentation which says otherwise, I would have to scratch a bald spot in my head trying to find out how else I was able to witness the activity in action.

What I'm implying by that is that the *IEDs do in fact add more fuel everywhere, not just while cruising around. They have to.

But I also want to be very clear that just because you will need more fuel with your new parts whenever you're hard in the throttle; more fuel than the computer would provide, thinking it wasn't working with those parts and thus not needing to provide more; almost lost my train of thought... Just because you will need more fuel and the XIEDs will provide more fuel does not mean that there will be the right amount of "more fuel" being delivered.

Here I go getting "windy" again...

In any event, the PC-III with its O2-eliminators will allow the stock computer to remain totally oblivious to there being anything done other than what it thinks it's doing. Its assumptions will keep getting made but they won't matter, and they won't change. When the PC-III is used without the O2-eliminators, the assumptions get made with a vengeance and things get ugly everywhere. This is another test I have "successfully" performed.

Old 08-08-2008 | 11:02 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, my report of the EXIDE's, I was out of town and didn't get to run the bike after install.

Just got back from a 25 mile ride with the EXIDE's, I find them to be a - BUST! Sorry, I can't tell or feel any difference at all! The Ping/detonation is still there, not even a reduction, idle is the same, needle still bounces around with no felt smoothness in the idle, surge has maybe been reduced, but by so little, you would have to have wishful thinking. I have no way to check heat output, so I can't honestly comment. I will leave them on over the weekend, then off to the stealer for the rear cylinder shut down.

My question now for the more experienced than I, Would it help to put a less hotter plug in, than what is in there now??

Last edited by BlockHead96; 08-08-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2008 | 11:14 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
OK, my report of the EXIDE's, I was out of town and didn't get to run the bike after install.

Just got back from a 25 mile ride with the EXIDE's, I find them to be a - BUST! Sorry, I can't tell or feel any difference at all! The Ping/detonation is still there, not even a reduction, idle is the same, needle still bounces around with no felt smoothness in the idle, surge has maybe been reduced, but by so little, you would have to have wishful thinking. I have no way to check heat output, so I can't honestly comment. I will leave them on over the weekend, then off to the stealer for the rear cylinder shut down.

My question now for the more experienced than I, Would it help to put a less hotter plug in, than what is in there now??
Sounds like you have something else going on with your Bike. The XIED will correct problems associated with a leaness caused by the stock setting of 14.7. If you installed the XIED correctly and it is working normal lean problems should dissapear. The fact that you still experience Pinging/detonation along with surging and the other problems tell me you have other issues going on. Something is not right.

Old 08-09-2008 | 12:11 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I don't know how you could install them wrong! Hopefully someone here can tell me if a less hot plug will help? My symptoms prior to the EXIDE's, remain after the EXIDE's. My symptoms have not changed since the day I drove it away. I believe the fact of the matter is, HD likely can't get a handle on a lean running engine, legally!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test