Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008 | 08:03 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Nice forum now. Glad they got it fixed.

Old 08-06-2008 | 08:23 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cruiser85257
I have basically the same setup you have.It runs real good with the XIED as I imagine yours did before this weekend.Sounds like you may have developed a leak in your intake.That would account for the pinging and popping both the possible results of a very lean condition.
Took my 07 Street Bob to the dealer for decel pop, backfiring and surging after 2 people (one is my indy) were sure of an intake leak. Dealer blamed it on too lean condition due to V&H slipons, Big Sucker and Fuelpak, but changed the intake seals anyway and gave it back running the same. I removed all mods, including XIEDs and basically still ran the same, just couldn't hear it. Back to dealer who replaced o2 sensors and a defective spark plug. Ran better, so reinstalled the stage 1 mods. Used hi-temp silicone on the slipons. Steve at Nightrider thought maybe the MAP sensor. Fuelpak has tried lots of setting changes with some success. Still have lots of same symptoms, so what else can be leaking?

Old 08-06-2008 | 08:46 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default Too Lean

Originally Posted by nevil
Took my 07 Street Bob to the dealer for decel pop, backfiring and surging after 2 people (one is my indy) were sure of an intake leak. Dealer blamed it on too lean condition due to V&H slipons, Big Sucker and Fuelpak, but changed the intake seals anyway and gave it back running the same. I removed all mods, including XIEDs and basically still ran the same, just couldn't hear it. Back to dealer who replaced o2 sensors and a defective spark plug. Ran better, so reinstalled the stage 1 mods. Used hi-temp silicone on the slipons. Steve at Nightrider thought maybe the MAP sensor. Fuelpak has tried lots of setting changes with some success. Still have lots of same symptoms, so what else can be leaking?
When you say it ran better after dealer changed out 02 sensors and spark plugs, just how much better did it run? Did it still ping or pop on decel?

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

When you say it ran better after dealer changed out 02 sensors and spark plugs, just how much better did it run? Did it still ping or pop on decel?
The surging at trailing throttle was almost gone and I could hear popping through the stock mufflers and once or twice even got a mild backfire at high rpm upshift. No pinging ever. Popping and backfiring are much more pronounced with the mods back on. I can get some improvements in certain areas by changing the fuelpak settings, but it won't clean it up entirely. It's a joy on WOT but not all around normal riding.

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:11 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I should back up and say that when I got the bike back all I did was install the XIEDs alone and it ran great. Seemed to feel "fatter" at low end. Just couldn't hear the motor so I put on the slipons and the issues were more obvious. After about another 100 miles (at 33mpg) I then installed the a/c and fulepak, and it got worse.

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:28 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nevil
I should back up and say that when I got the bike back all I did was install the XIEDs alone and it ran great. Seemed to feel "fatter" at low end. Just couldn't hear the motor so I put on the slipons and the issues were more obvious. After about another 100 miles (at 33mpg) I then installed the a/c and fulepak, and it got worse.
Go back to stock. One step at a time there, nevil. 1st put the Xieds on, run it for 200 miles or so. Next put the slipons back on, run it another 200 miles or so. Note the changes. Then add the FuelPak. Again, note any changes.
Where ever the change happens, that last add on probably caused it.
Report back and let us know.

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:35 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks, I will do that. Just one more thing now- I guess that I have to put on the a/c before the fuelpak since there is no map (I already asked) for a stock a/c. Won't that make it too lean? Or is it better to install them together?

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:39 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I will do that. Since there is no fuelpak map for stock a/c (I have asked) do you think it will be ok to add the a/c without the fuelpak or will it be too lean? I put them on together this last time around.

Old 08-06-2008 | 09:55 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default Too Lean

Nevil I would do as Rider57 suggests. The XIED should be rich enough for your air kit.

Old 08-07-2008 | 05:14 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

Cruiser and Rider57- no problem, I'll take it in small steps. Thanks for your input and will check in with you later.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test