Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008 | 07:14 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Night rider O2 IEDs, Field Test

I think Rider57 has and I think it's somewhere in the earlier posts as well. Then again you might have ticked him off and he is no longer responding to your questions.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I think he did answer you on what effects the XIED's have on the open loop portion of the map.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I, for one, am extremely happy with the results from the IED's and then the XIED's. In 4000 miles, they done exactly what was advertised. The XIED's have helped my set up greatly and if it's going help my set up,( which is more extreme than most) I have no other reason to think that they&nbsp\\;would not&nbsp\\;help others with a more milder set up.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I think one of the major things your over looking glens is the warranty implications the other systems have on the bikes. Most of these bikes are 07 and 08's. Factory 2 year or longer warranties. &nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 08-03-2008 | 07:25 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Most may not ever go beyond the pipes and AC. HD does not have a map for TD's on the 08 line of bikes. We tried and I still ended up with a heatscore on my heat shield. Then again as I've said before, my pipes are a different animal than others.
&nbsp\\;
Most people&nbsp\\;do&nbsp\\;not want to void their warranties an order to get the bike to run cooler. That was my concern at first and the XIED's did exactly that and they are untraceable.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 08-03-2008 | 07:36 PM
heywood727
Road Master

&nbsp\\; I'm pretty happy with it and now after the Rockey Mountain acid test, I'm going to follow whittlebeasts lead and get a set VIED's and open up the Sportsters AC and pipes.

Old 08-03-2008 | 10:15 PM
theiceman
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

a lot of people will tell you save your money and don't do stage1 download.is up to you however&nbsp\\;\\; the reason why is a good idea to do the download is becouse the&nbsp\\;Volumetric Efficiency Table settings will be rearrange in order to compensate for the increase of CFM going thru the trottle body due to the high flow intake.volumetric efficiency is the ratio of the volume of air drawn into a cylinder to the piston displacement.once all of this equations are rearrange is true the AFR will change very&nbsp\\; little however with the new VE's and the IED's your bike will be able to reach a new ceiling as far as RPM's are concern.that's why the rev limiter is bump up.any time a given equation is altered a new compensation needs to inplemented.timing is set for 14.7 afr at factory along with the VE tables.once the afr is altered the timing is good but not optimun for the new&nbsp\\;AFR and&nbsp\\;VE equation.also your fuel comsumption will be maximize.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
this is a reply to a member about a million pages back.sorry if it does not make sence in the current discussion.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
2007 street glide
IDS
IED's
vance and hines slip ons
fast air 8" shield
cruise control
amsoil all the way
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 08-03-2008 | 10:33 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

That is fine. It is good information and everyone reading this should hear it.

Heywood,

Do not forget that Whittlebeasts lead is one of running totally stock breathing gear. I have repeatedly stated in this thread that for such cases, or equivalent with all-factory Stage 1 + download, anything short of the XIEDs could be a viable alternative. But that should be tempered with what littlebuddywizer expressed earlier today. It was a valuable opinion.

You, however, much like many of the participants in this thread, have gone beyond that by changing out breathing parts. Once that has been done, the tune will be wrong and methods other than any *IEDs really should be employed to address the necessary fueling, and timing, changes which result.

In terms of factory warranty, even so much as installing an IED will break the contract with the factory, thus they may or may not cover any engine-related problems which might have arisen from fueling conditions, depending entirely on their whim at the moment. Do not for a moment think that all the H-D personnel are utter morons and therefore will never be able to tell that you had simply unplugged whatever before bringing the bike in for repairs/service.

Old 08-03-2008 | 10:45 PM
theiceman
Advanced

leet me tell ya glens
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;i had a thundermax auto tune with fatcat and ness big sucker.the bike ran great but my mileage was 28 mpg and at 4.59 a gallon this is not acceptable.i went back to stock with the ied's and my mileage is up to 46.8 mpg and bike runs great.soon i will be getting the stage1 download and back to the big sucker.you are right on the money about messing with factory equipment.

Old 08-03-2008 | 11:11 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

If this forum is fixed i will post ALL tests results from the lab.

Old 08-03-2008 | 11:32 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

e-mail them to me and I will get them posted for us all.

Old 08-04-2008 | 01:00 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ECM does not Data log outside of thrown codes
&nbsp\\;

Old 08-04-2008 | 01:11 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Stage 1 is a change to the AC with a download. Usually has a SE slipon used in conjunction. I have seen the digital tech. It couldn't tell the IED's were ever on. The only thing the DT shows is the ECM Calibration ID and no codes.&nbsp\\; I have it infront of me. If I had a SERT, then yes if I rode there and left the IED's on.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test