Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008 | 03:27 PM
dropone
Supporter
Default RE: Night rider O2 IEDs, Field Test

Glens must be educated well beyond his capabilities.

Old 08-03-2008 | 03:46 PM
CR
Advanced

A few posts back somebody remarked that the pinging is also caused by low octane fuel (<91). That would mean that we would not have the problem over here in Europe (at least in The Netherlands you will not buy lower octane than 95 and 98 is available almost everywhere). However I seem to remember that Harley owners in Europe do have the same problems. Confirmation anyone?

Old 08-03-2008 | 04:04 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I dont think you can directly compare octane from the USA and the EU

Old 08-03-2008 | 04:06 PM
stmpulr
Cruiser

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;What method are they using over there to rate the octane? Motor or research or the combo of the 2 divided by 2. Ours is the later.

Old 08-03-2008 | 04:44 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane rating, shown on the pump, is the RON, but in the United States, Canada and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 8 to 10 point difference noted above, the octane shown in the United States is 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, is 91-92 in Europe. However most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and some even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_...rement_methods

Old 08-03-2008 | 04:59 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: spmullen

Glens has never presented any hard proof or testing for any of his claims
Aside from my personal, non-laboratory but repeatable, testing which I have reported at this site last summer, at least, and possibly already more than once in this thread, I have also offered, recently in this thread, links to a couple of posts by another forum member who specifically had his bike dynoed at a DR DYNO booth by the operator who was curious to see if/how they worked.

See a post by CDN. RG at 6/25/2008 7:14:43 AM in https://www.hdforums.com/m_3533110/printable.htm roughly 45% down the page, and another account by him at 7/8/2008 1:41:58 PM in https://www.hdforums.com/m_3593725/printable.htm roughly 70% down the page.

[edit: Steve, what hard proof or testing have you obtained which could correct what I am saying? I will have to throw out any kind of "testing" by customers who would IR measure the temperature of the intake side of one cylinder head and the exhaust side of the other, as I am sure you would, too. This is basically the question I asked of you in my last, as yet unanswered e-mail of 13 July.

Aside from the lack of any mention whatsoever of adaptive fueling at your site (see a google link I provided in the quoted portion of the first post referenced above), from what I have been able to determine, your site is replete with information which is substantially the same as what I have been saying here.

Thank you.]

Old 08-03-2008 | 05:28 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Steve,

I had reached the limits of what could be added during the edit of that last post. I also want to ask you if you could forward me a copy of the H-D document it has been reported you received which stated something to the effect that aftermarket intakes and exhausts would need no re-mapping on the 06 Dynas.

Thanks much.

Old 08-03-2008 | 06:15 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine published by Harley-Davidson

Old 08-03-2008 | 06:22 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Independent testing by riders of this forum do not make you happy, so why is my testing going to be any different.&nbsp\\;I&nbsp\\;seem to remember you&nbsp\\;calling some of my information as marketing hype.

Old 08-03-2008 | 06:37 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you for responding.

Although I cannot recall using that exact descriptive phrase I cannot deny it would have at least been possible. I apologize if I did and it offended you. The term hype does not necessarily connote something negative in any event.

Have you never, during or since your development cycles, put a bike with O2-circuit voltage-dividers, or an LC-1, on a dyno, or used a Twin-Scan, to measure the full-range results? No graphs, charts, logs, etc.?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test