Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008 | 03:10 PM
LoMax
Intermediate
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

But I also think people should stop riding their bikes the way they did 20 years ago. All torque, no rpm. That, in combination with a lean mixture and poor quality of fuel, causes the detonation. High temps, to much pressure on the mixture and 93 octane fuel will make the pistons look like the surface of the moon.

Old 08-02-2008 | 03:47 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Where in the hell

Old 08-02-2008 | 03:48 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

are you finding 93 Octane?

Old 08-02-2008 | 03:48 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

I can remember primum fuel as a kid was 104!

Old 08-02-2008 | 06:09 PM
stmpulr
Cruiser

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Can you say Sunoco 260. Now that was the best of the best. I remember that in the mid to late 60's.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Blue in color.

Old 08-02-2008 | 08:05 PM
heywood727
Road Master

94 octane at the Huskey Gas stations in Canada. I&nbsp\\;filled 93 at Tonasket Washington. Also 93 at the Cheveron in Republic Washington.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; This was 3 days ago.

Old 08-02-2008 | 08:12 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Good old Commiefornia, best we get is 91!
&nbsp\\;
Anyone think changing to yet a hotter plug might ease the ping/detonation issues??

Old 08-02-2008 | 10:28 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: LoMax

He is guessing, insinuating, might (will it or will it not?), and he will not stop, just because in this thread he has a (stolen) audience.
No guessing. No insinuating. No mights. No stolen audience.

You either are very selectively reading what I have written or you are selectively recalling it.

Now this is objective information. And if your objective decision is to leave things the way they are, no problem, it is your 20000 dollar bike.
The question weather the (X)iED will make things a little richer in open loop, as a result of the enrichment in closed loop? Even if they do, things will still be lean enough as they are.
That was no more objective than any of the evidence I offered. In fact tearing down the stock bikes was no evidence whatsoever about the *IEDs.

If you think I have been advocating leaving the bikes stock you are reading-impaired. My advocacy has been to modify the way they run by using proper methods to either remap the EFI natively or indirectly. Why stop at $100 with something that, on factory-correct bikes, over-richens the open-loop areas which are not lean by any stretch of the imagination? Why not just go to less than $300 instead and do exactly what you want, even better than any of the *IEDs can? And if you have aftermarket breathing parts, you need to address the new fueling requirements anyway. The *IEDs cannot do that.

Our current EFI has autotuning for the purpose of keeping the as-mapped parts working correctly. It was not intended for correcting for aftermarket parts and does not work properly with them merely being installed. Using any *IEDs with that combination does nothing to make the situation better. And if you have proper accounting for the new gear, you do not need any of the *IEDs.

This leaves the only usable market for them being folks with factory-correct bikes, either all stock or all H-D Stage 1 stuff with download. Now for that group, the standard IEDs ought to be okay if that is what they want to do. But there is no problem beforehand with the amount of fuel open-loop, so why add more there with them? And the XIEDs abuse the O2 sensors.

What is so hard to understand about any of that? Is the language not plain enough for you?

Old 08-02-2008 | 10:56 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Oh my God!

I was just at the nightrider.com site looking for the link to show you all about what even they say about the O2 sensors we use, and how they are innaccurate at AFRs below 14.2:1, when I came across http://nightrider.com/parts/ied_product_line.htm which lists the *IEDs and even the LC-1 as being compatible with the PC-III. He says to not use the O2 eliminators, obviously. Also, obviously, he has not even tried such a combination. It would take some very serious dyno time to be able to develop a map for the PC-III which would work with an active feedback loop. Especially with any aftermarket breathing parts. Definitely much more money overall than buying a SERT and dynoing it.

Well, here is a quote from http://nightrider.com/parts/hd2007HD...age_divide.htm

The most accurate range for narrow band O2 sensors is the .400v to .800v or the 15.0:1 to 14.2:1 AFR ranges. Once the fuel ratio is outside these limits, the accuracy of measurement rapidly changes.
The XIEDs shoot for 13.8:1 which is patently outside that range.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2008 | 11:09 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: LoMax

I am sure that if the bikes had the XiED installed in the first place, there would not&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;have been&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;so much dammage to start with. I have been reading many posts of The Rider, and I think he knows what he is talking about.
My XiEDs will stay on my ride...
&nbsp\\;
Lomax you are obviously a good judge of character whether they be good or bad.&nbsp\\; Your batting 1000 with your last two assessments Rider57 is a good knowlegeable Man.My XIEDs are staying on as well.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test