Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008 | 07:29 AM
bikergar
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: ballpeen

I really believe there are people on the thread who do not even own a bike blasting this product, its a shame, because plain and simple they work.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Thanks Cruiser
Your very welcome Ballpeen.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\; Its odd how for the first 2/3 of this thread it was the best bang for the buck.Then along came our dear friend who does not even own one and he has since been on a mission to dissuade people.They do work as you and I know.They work very well.
Cruiser,
&nbsp\\;
In degrees fahrenheit what was your&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;temps on front and rear cylinder before IED's (stock) and after IED's stock.

Old 08-01-2008 | 10:36 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Bikegar if you start at the beginning of the thread you will find my posts where I documented my temperatures on all rides.The only thing I never did was get a stock reading.My Bike had a TVII on it the first time I got my infrared and started taking readings.

Old 08-01-2008 | 11:13 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Just tore down the stock 07 FLH models we had for testing. The damage caused by detonation was severe to the heads and piston tops. I could understand 1 bike with problems. But this is on all of them.

Old 08-01-2008 | 12:19 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RoadTramp113

After reading all the posts theres a question I must ask...does glens work for the MoCo, EPA or CARB? All his opposition to the IEDs just seem to mirror the company line which is to push the download. I can do without the 6200 readline and since all it does is help maintain the 14.7 AFR. it doesn't seem worth it. Has he even read the data or is he just so channeled to the downloads that he doesn't want to even consider that it's a viable and effective option?
Was at the dealer today and asked what I can do to help cool the engine. It seems to me that the only to make it run cooler is the WBO2 set-up and a PCIII (expensive) or the IEDs (practical). The service manager said I didn't hear it from him but the IEDs work so that's the way I'm going.
Dealer recommends IED.Now that is totally cool.

Old 08-01-2008 | 12:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

Just tore down the stock 07 FLH models we had for testing. The damage caused by detonation was severe to the heads and piston tops. I could understand 1 bike with problems. But this is on all of them.
What was the average mileage on these Bikes?

Old 08-01-2008 | 12:25 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bikergar

In degrees fahrenheit what was your temps on front and rear cylinder before IEDs (stock) and after IEDs stock.
As I recall, he was reading the exhaust side of the front cylinder and the intake side of the rear, so his deltas were way low.

Old 08-01-2008 | 12:26 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

&nbsp\\;
This because they have to run so lean for the EPA. I suspect HD motors will not have a service life they should. If you leave these motors in stock form, I believe you will be tearing into them within 40K miles to do piston work. Unless the MoCo goes to all H2o motors in 2010, this will be common place.

Old 08-01-2008 | 12:58 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Then along came our dear friend
I love you too!

who does not even own one and he has since been on a mission to dissuade people. They do work as you and I know.They work very well.
The one I do not own is a set of *IEDs. I am not using closed-loop operation on my 07 FLHRC so they would do absolutely nothing for me, and if I did put them into service they would really mess up what I am already doing.

Believe it or not, I actually have tried using closed-loop with my PC-III. I reported the resultant atrocity somewhere on this site late last summer.

I never said the *IEDs do not do what you say they do. In fact I have shown time and again how it is that they do it. What I have been adding to that is information regarding what they do above and beyond what you claim. That so as to let folks know just what they would be getting in to, and so that they can more accurately assess the situation before they either do or do not do it.

You, my friend, are reaping the benefits of what I have been describing. though you disbelieve it, and it seems as though you might be lucky enough with your selection of parts. But are you really? Maybe you should have Rider pull your heads, or at least go in with a bore-scope and have a look-see. You, or any of us outsiders, do not know just what is going on inside your engine with it set up the way it is. And that is really the message I have been trying to get across. These devices may or may not be problematic in what they do above and beyond their claimed activity, but that is only on a factory-correct tune. Once you leave that safe haven, which you have, you may as well be betting your paycheck on the dice game back in the alley instead of bringing the money straight home to your wife and kids.

Old 08-01-2008 | 01:09 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Andy did you ever see that commercial were a Man is being interviewed and he has a Big Stain on his shirt that distracts the Interviewer.Blah blah blah blah blahblah blah blah blah.[8D]

Old 08-01-2008 | 01:11 PM
LoMax
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: BlockHead96

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;\\\\\\\\\\\\\\;
This because they have to run so lean for the EPA. I suspect HD motors will not have a service life they should. If you leave these motors in stock form, I believe you will be tearing into them within 40K miles to do piston work. Unless the MoCo goes to all H2o motors in 2010, this will be common place.
You are right, and until that time we have to avoid the detonation that kills the aircooled V-twin. Make the engine sing, not ping. Every way to obtain that result, is better than just leaving it the way it is now. Or the legend will be killed by the last generation of aircooled HD. The last real Harley will need an engine-rebuild by the time the average BMW is broken in. The myth will be gone with the wind. IED is buying us some time, even a few years, before the ultimate execution takes place.
Pessimism? Forget it, we will own the last generation of the real thing, after that, it will be dark.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test